DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 RC compatible with Liftoff simulator?

SnowSkier

Reactions
Hi pilots!

Do you know if it's possible to use the Mavic 2 RC with the Liftoff Simulator?
I own a Mavic 2 Pro and I want to start flying also FPV. In the future I'm thinking of buying DJI Digital FPV but before that I want to try it out with a simulator first and avoid to buy the DJI controller already! I don't know if I will adapt to it and don't want to expend money before understanding the concepts of flying FPV that are a little bit different from Steady drones.

Can someone help me and tell me if I can?

Thanks

I very highly doubt that it will be compatible. What you could do is buy a Spektrum Dxe and use an aux cord to connect to the computer. It will probably cost about $60-70. There may be a cheaper way, but that’s all I can come up with. I bought liftoff a long time ago, never played, but got a more powerful pc, so I may try it out again soon. I hope you find a solution!

Hi pilots!

I own a Mavic 2 Pro and I want to start flying also FPV. In the future I'm thinking of buying DJI Digital FPV but before that I want to try it out with a simulator first and avoid to buy the DJI controller already! I don't know if I will adapt to it and don't want to expend money before understanding the concepts of flying FPV that are a little bit different from Steady drones.

Thanks
If you could get Liftoff to recognize the controller, there is another problem. FPV quads do not use a self centering throttle. With the Mavic you push down on the throttle from center position to lower the quad, and up to raise it. With FPV, the throttle joystick sits at zero (the bottom) until you raise it for however much throttle you need and will stay at whatever point you leave it at. You would constantly be fighting the throttle return spring to keep it where you want it.
As @nhgill960 suggested, getting a cheap controller would be the best way to check it out...

Taranis-Q-X7-Out-of-Box.jpg

Hi pilots!

Thanks
If it was me and I wanted to fly FPV I would get an FPV drone.

You tend to crash a lot learning FPV and the FPV drones can take a crash better not to mention cost less.
Parts are MUCH cheaper.
Not only that you will learn a lot about drones.

I have done a lot of FPV using the M2P and the Goggles.
In my view I have better situational awareness when doing FPV than when not..
Take-off/landing should be done with the goggles taken off when you are new to it.
You should be fully confident in handling your M2P before going FPV.
The same applies to FPV as to non-FPV flying: you need to know what you are doing, where you are and so on, other than that it is just a lot of fun depending on the location.

Whoops forgot to mention that as well[emoji23] Glad to have experienced pilots to back me up
Whoops are also a great way to get started flying FPV.... They can crash over and over again with virtually no damege (tiny whoops that is). They can also be flown indoors with no worries.

I have done a lot of FPV using the M2P and the Goggles.
In my view I have better situational awareness when doing FPV than when not..
Take-off/landing should be done with the goggles taken off when you are new to it.
You should be fully confident in handling your M2P before going FPV.
The same applies to FPV as to non-FPV flying: you need to know what you are doing, where you are and so on, other than that it is just a lot of fun depending on the location.
The FPV he is referring to is nothing like a DJI quad. If you let go of the controls of a FPV quad, it crashes, and you can't do flips and rolls with a DJI quad (it is actually possible with a hack on some but not recommended).
Go to Youtube and search "Nurk FPV", "JohnnyFPV", or "Mr Steele" for some examples...

Last edited:
Reactions: Crashdummytest
The FPV he is referring to is nothing like a DJI quad. If you let go of the controls of a FPV quad, it crashes, and you can't do flips and rolls with a DJI quad (it is actually possible with a hack on some but not recommended).
Go to Youtube and search "Nurk FPV", "JohnnyFPV", or "Mr Steele" for some examples...

I was replying to my understanding of his question:), which was:

"Do you know if it's possible to use the Mavic 2 RC with the Liftoff Simulator?
I own a Mavic 2 Pro and I want to start flying also FPV. .."

BTW:The Spry+ will allow full manual control and you can have fpv-glasses with it, its like a racing drone in that mode.
I will try out MagiMask this week, for MA2 and MM, expectations are low but will give it a go.

Reactions: brettbrandon
I was replying to my understanding of his question:), which was:

"Do you know if it's possible to use the Mavic 2 RC with the Liftoff Simulator?
I own a Mavic 2 Pro and I want to start flying also FPV. .."

BTW:The Spry+ will allow full manual control and you can have fpv-glasses with it, its like a racing drone in that mode.
I will try out MagiMask this week, for MA2 and MM, expectations are low but will give it a go.
I gotcha.
I was going by his reference to the Liftoff Simulator. That is a straight FPV style sim for freestyle/racing, and is nothing like controlling a DJI quad. I guess the best way to put it is "FPV" has more than one meaning and in this case it refers to a particular flying style.

I looked at the Spry+ and it is operated just like a DJI quad with a self centering throttle and not like a freestyle/racing quad which Liftoff simulates.

I also have a Mavic 2 Pro and have a different controller (Taranis QX7) and goggles (Fatshark HDO2) for my FPV quads and simulators.
At the bottom of the page here, there is a link to the "DroneRacingPilots" forum which is mostly just FPV. Here is an example of the style you would use Liftoff for. You can see the controller in the vid and the throttle is operated a little different without the self centering.

To specifically answer the OP's question, if you "could" get the controller to work with Liftoff, it is not setup properly for using it. You would need to detach the spring on the throttle. Also the other style controllers generally have a longer throw on the joysticks for more accurate (finer tuned) control of the quad.

Hi pilots!

Thanks
I would recommend you go get your fixed wing license to see what it's like being at the controls from the FPV. You try and fly a drone FPV , you could end up busting your head open and a smashed drone.

I gotcha.
I was going by his reference to the Liftoff Simulator. That is a straight FPV style sim for freestyle/racing, and is nothing like controlling a DJI quad. I guess the best way to put it is "FPV" has more than one meaning and in this case it refers to a particular flying style.

I looked at the Spry+ and it is operated just like a DJI quad with a self centering throttle and not like a freestyle/racing quad which Liftoff simulates.

I also have a Mavic 2 Pro and have a different controller (Taranis QX7) and goggles (Fatshark HDO2) for my FPV quads and simulators.
At the bottom of the page here, there is a link to the "DroneRacingPilots" forum which is mostly just FPV. Here is an example of the style you would use Liftoff for. You can see the controller in the vid and the throttle is operated a little different without the self centering.

To specifically answer the OP's question, if you "could" get the controller to work with Liftoff, it is not setup properly for using it. You would need to detach the spring on the throttle. Also the other style controllers generally have a longer throw on the joysticks for more accurate (finer tuned) control of the quad.

Right. I enjoy first person view with the M2P a lot, use it all the time. I get about 5km range. That is of course interesting in a country like Norway, with the extravagant scenery.
What you are talking about is something different altogether, I agree. I would never use a M2P for that, I would rather get a proper racing drone + controller:).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54