DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC 2 weird behaviour.. ideas anyone?

nicopilot

Reactions
This morning I made a flight, straight up above the fog and then down again. In 10m height the control changed all of a sudden to LANDING and the the drone just hovered in the air, not reacting to any movement of the controller, nor to anything else. After 30s I was able to get control again and landed it manually.

Since I had motor failure and total crash earlier this year and received a replacement from DJI, I'm a little extra cautious about these kind of things.
If anyone has an idea or advice, I'd be grateful.
Thanks!

its because you flew in fog, after you went above the fog ,the downward sensors saw the fog as ground below the drone, so it went into hover and was waiting for you to put stick input for it to land , flying in or through fog is not a good idea as moisture can be drawn into the drone, and cause issues with the internal electronics

Condensation on the downward sensors after flying down through the clouds causing them to think the ground was just below the aircraft?
Had that problem with my Spark once

I am not sure if the fog is to be blamed.

The IR sensor did not behave normally right from the beginning. After auto take off, the craft was hovering at 1 meter above the ground but the IR sensor detected a height change from 1.2 meter to 3.4 meter. Can this be caused by the fog ?

1596001266100.png

At later time, the craft was hovering at a height of 8.5 meter but the IR sensor said the craft was 0.2 meter above something. This can be caused by the fog. Forced landing was triggered because the throttle stick was held down and the craft thought that something was the ground .

However, the craft did not descend subsequently because it suddenly treated that something as an obstacle and the obstcale avoidance mechanism kicked in ?

1596001593857.png

The forced landing mode was exited when the OP applied full throttle up and everything became normal afterwards.

Only more flying can tell if the IR sensor is defective or it was just caused by the fog.

For your information I flew my M2P through thick cloud the other day and there was no issue except for a warning about the bottom sensor. The height detected by the IR sensor was less than that indicated by the barometer as expected but no abnormal behaviour was triggered.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329