DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Zoom / iMac problem / Atomos Ninja Inferno solution?

Gerry36

Reactions
I am a new member of this forum and have a few queries about my recently purchased Mavic 2 Zoom and Smart Controller. Basically I am impressed with the product and what it can do but it is seemed to be unnecessarily traumatic to get through the preliminaries to get it into the air. I have several queries that have mostly been dealt with by DJI but they did not offer a solution offered to the problem below.

I have a current model iMac to which I have added extra RAM but was surprised to find that when I downloaded video from the SD card from the Mavic 2 to the iMac the results played very poorly on both Quicktime and in the current FCP X. I should add that they played smoothly on the SC.

As an experiment I put the SD card in the SC and used an HDMI cable to connect the SC to an Atomos Ninja Inferno recording field monitor and transferred my clips. They played very smoothly in both the Ninja and in my iMac. Note that the Ninja records in Prores.

A second experiment showed that I could record to the Ninja at the same time I was recording in the Mavic 2. The image looked OK on the 7” Ninja screen but I understand that it would not be as good as the recording on the Mavic 2 SD card. Is that correct?

The workaround has solved the current problem and also gives me a way of downloading SD cards in the absence of a computer. At the moment it uses an SSD with a capacity nearly 1 TB. However I am still interested in other ways of downloading without the Inferno. Any solutions?

If you’re directly recording the SC with the Atmos in flight your limited by occusync transfer speed which is unacceptable for video, maybe at worst case for a proxy (about 10 MBit/s).
I do not understand why you’re having problems with the sd card, maybe while importing create optimized media.
Furthermore you can change if the MP2 records to mp4 or mov, you may want to try a different one.
If your iMac can play prores there’s no way it can’t play back 100 mbit/s of a compressed video container file.

Thanks for your reply Milkeyway
I had read about the limitations of recording via Occusync but the results are not as bad as I thought they would be.
I understand that the downloading of the Mavic 2 SD card problems are being worked on by DJI. I did use the ‘create optimized media’ option.
So far I have only used .mov but will give MP4 a go.
I believe that one of the advantages of prores is that it is edit kindly because it is not highly compressed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suretybondsa