DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Zoom loses Connection after 20m

Kraken

Reactions
Mavic 2 Zoom controller loses connection after 20m. Ive tried everything including the following.

iPhone 7
iPhone 12
Original cables
Aftermarket cables
New cables
Cables connected to USB
Latest firmware updates
Calibration

I noticed this starting to occur a few days ago after linking DJI Goggles (original) to the drone. Everything worked fine until today - constant loss and no signal after 20 or 30 meters from takeoff. WTF. Im just about to try an older Mavic Pro controller to see if that works. I havent calibrated IMU's but that will be the next effort.

Any ideas on what to do next?

Hello Kraken,
I may have an idea, based on a current issue with my Mini 2.
(2) Questions:
1. Are you able to regain connection and land each time?

2. Does it start out with a 5-bars strong signal and then, at about the same distance each time, you can see the signal bars start deteriorating and then very quickly, meter by meter going to zero bars?

If you can answer Yes to those questions, consider this test: (If No, then, never mind :) )
Find an open area that has 20-30m space to walk around.
Start up your rig and make the RC to drone connection, but don't take off.
Start walking away from the drone to where the signal icon drops to 2 bars and stop.
Go to the Transmission tab of the app.
Scroll down to the Frequency section.
Select Manual.
Pick the 2.4 gHz and then go check/take note of the signal strength icon bars.
then go back to the Transmission tab
Pick the 5.8 gHz, go check/take note of the signal strength icon bars.

Was one of them 2 bars and the other 5 bars?

Fwiw, my 5.8 gHz is failing. When I have Dual selected, the app for some reason is choosing the failing 5.8 and I loose connection at 4.5m. If I select Manual and 2.4 gHz, the signal goes to 5 bars and stays strong as expected of the Mini 2.

Ok. Thats it.

Last edited:
No need to calibrate the IMU, it has nothing to do with transmission or signal strength.

Is the remote displaying loss of connection or are you losing direct control of the drone?

Are you losing the video link too?

If it’s not indicating signal loss check updates haven’t reset to Beginner mode as my M2P did on its last Go4 App update.

Last edited:
Mavic 2 Zoom controller loses connection after 20m. Ive tried everything including the following.

iPhone 7
iPhone 12
Original cables
Aftermarket cables
New cables
Cables connected to USB
Latest firmware updates
Calibration

I noticed this starting to occur a few days ago after linking DJI Goggles (original) to the drone. Everything worked fine until today - constant loss and no signal after 20 or 30 meters from takeoff. WTF. Im just about to try an older Mavic Pro controller to see if that works. I havent calibrated IMU's but that will be the next effort.

Have you recently updated firmware? If so, what firmware were you on before? Exactly the same happened with my Mav 2 zoom after I upgraded from 01.00.0670. The 2.4gHz frequency became totally unreliable and the only workaround was to manually set control frequency to 5.8gHz which was (and still is) rock solid and 100% reliable. I never fly BVLOS so range is not an issue, but a 'belt & braces' approach I took was to install the Drone-Hacks FCC BOOST hack which takes the transmitter up to the American legal maximum of +30db on 5.8.

Reactions: Honk
Hello Kraken,
I may have an idea, based on a current issue with my Mini 2.
(2) Questions:
1. Are you able to regain connection and land each time?

2. Does it start out with a 5-bars strong signal and then, at about the same distance each time, you can see the signal bars start deteriorating and then very quickly, meter by meter going to zero bars?

If you can answer Yes to those questions, consider this test: (If No, then, never mind :) )
Find an open area that has 20-30m space to walk around.
Start up your rig and make the RC to drone connection, but don't take off.
Start walking away from the drone to where the signal icon drops to 2 bars and stop.
Go to the Transmission tab of the app.
Scroll down to the Frequency section.
Select Manual.
Pick the 2.4 gHz and then go check/take note of the signal strength icon bars.
then go back to the Transmission tab
Pick the 5.8 gHz, go check/take note of the signal strength icon bars.

Was one of them 2 bars and the other 5 bars?

Fwiw, my 5.8 gHz is failing. When I have Dual selected, the app for some reason is choosing the failing 5.8 and I loose connection at 4.5m. If I select Manual and 2.4 gHz, the signal goes to 5 bars and stays strong as expected of the Mini 2.

Ok. Thats it.
I think the idea of starting the drone, but not lifting off, and, instead, moving away with the remote controller is an excellent idea for testing connectivity.

It’s so much safer than putting the drone at risk to recreate a possible problem.

I’m putting that in any diagnostic procedure I do.

Thanks, Honk!

Reactions: Drbobk and Honk
I think the idea of starting the drone, but not lifting off, and, instead, moving away with the remote controller is an excellent idea for testing connectivity.

It’s so much safer than putting the drone at risk to recreate a possible problem.

I’m putting that in any diagnostic procedure I do.

Thanks, Honk!
A shout out to @Felix le Chat for suggesting the frequency transmission test in another thread discussing the puzzle of my issue. The no-lift-off is my addition/refinement of the test procedure.

Reactions: Felix le Chat

iPhone 7
iPhone 12
Original cables
Aftermarket cables
New cables
Cables connected to USB
Latest firmware updates
Calibration

Did You find any solution?

I think I have the same issue.
I didn't use my Mavic 2 Zoom for about one year. Last time I've used it all was OK. I've took it out yesterday and updated the app, drone and RC firmware and realized that I have very bad connection issues. The video transmission stopped after flying away about 100-150 meters. The RC also looses connection and the drone returns to home point. I was trying it many times today morning, even changed the location to a remote one but it didn't help. Now I have found out that it doesn't switch the bandwidth when it's in dual band. It uses only 2,4GHz. When I switch It manually to 2,4GHz it cuts connection after just 100-150 meters but it seems to work fine on 5,6GHz.

It needs to be a software bug.

Did You ever manage to use the DJI Goggles normally? I have bought my Mavic 2 with DJI Goggles Racing Edition and I have had problems from the very beginning. Video transmission did cut after max 200 meters without antenna and about 1km with mounted antenna. I was so angry that I haven't even tried to switch the bandwidth manually. Never got a reply from DJI support also. Think I will try to do this tomorrow and se if it helps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas