DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 zoom side sensors

I have seen this mentioned a few times. Try switching to P mode and back into Tripod mode. The problem is since the indicator at the top of Go4 indicates green u do not know they are not active, I agree it’s an issue.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I noticed that the sensors don't work exactly and in some cases don't recognize anything. In Intelli mode I tried a helix and the drone flew sideways into a tree. In another case I had to intervene in the automatic landing because otherwise the drone would have flown directly into branches. I hope that this is a software problem in general and that it will be solved with a new firmware in the near future.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Never plan a flight where the sensors HAVE to work in order to be safe. The technology is simply not reliable enough, and can't be for that money, a toy drone would have to cost as much as a Tesla to have truly reliable sensors and programming to be able to trust 100%. Well.... even a Tesla is not 100% reliable in its decisions, but since it is already on the ground it's considered safe enough.

I was checking out all the functions on my less than a month old M2P and trying all the sensors and realized I have the same problem. In no way can I coax a lateral sensor to indicate it sensed an object neither by a visual indication on the monitor or an audible indication. I have switched back and forth between position and tripod modes and it still does not seem to work. Not that I plan on doing any sideways traveling or plan on counting on the lateral sensors but I always try to keep thing in tip top shape.

I wonder if we have a problem with our M2Ps or is it just a software thing that may get fixed in time to come? Any long timers got an idea about that. I recall Dustin Dunnill in one of his YouTube videos turning on tripod mode and it did not work. He then turned it off and back on again and it worked. I not questioning how effectively mine works only that it works and whether I may need to seek repair. Mine indicates nothing.

Actually sort of same issue.... I hit a pole on top of a boat, causing my drone to drown in the river....
Drone was filming in activetrack slow, not sure but I think the pole was in a blind spot (45° angle filming).
Any thoughts? Screenshot_20190121_224855_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpeg

The front, back and bottom have two cameras so they can sense distance. The bottom supplemented with IR sensor specifically for distance. The sides only have one so they can only sense obstacles by change in size.

I can hoover at mid chest height in tripod mode and approach from the side and I get no warning what so ever, either audible or on the screen. I believe mine may be malfunctioning.

has this issue been fixed yet.. just got mine today.. and noticed the red sensor marks for the side sensors when flying.. drone had an update when i first powered it up.. but still the sensors on the side dont seem to be working. in tripod mode.. the sensors all show green.. but the side sensors dont seem to be working. in P, position mode.. the side sensors show red..

Last edited:
has this issue been fixed yet.. just got mine today.. and noticed the red sensor marks for the side sensors when flying.. drone had an update when i first powered it up.. but still the sensors on the side dont seem to be working. in tripod mode.. the sensors all show green.. but the side sensors dont seem to be working. in P, position mode.. the side sensors show red..
rtfm - side sensors only work in tripod mode and in some smart auto modes, but NOT in P mode during regular flying.
do not rely on them, as they can see solid wall - yes, but will not see branches or other small objects well. it is more of a false confidence, really, than of an actual help. front and rear dual sensors are ok.

it is quite a sad thing DJI did such a half-@ss job with those side sensors, it would be better to have proper pair of them on sides and have them active for a complete coverage, but, they decided to cut costs, probably. flying sideways is what one does all the time to do a circle coverage or side shots, but, it is what it is.

Reactions: dgrobe2112
thanks for the info.. i havent messed with the tripod mode much yet.. do all the quick shots work in tripod mode..

I noticed that the sensors don't work exactly and in some cases don't recognize anything. In Intelli mode I tried a helix and the drone flew sideways into a tree. In another case I had to intervene in the automatic landing because otherwise the drone would have flown directly into branches. I hope that this is a software problem in general and that it will be solved with a new firmware in the near future.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

I have seen this mentioned a few times. Try switching to P mode and back into Tripod mode. The problem is since the indicator at the topr of Go4 indicates green u do not know they are not active, I agree it’s an issue.

I think it only work on activetrack.other than thst the side sensor will not turn on.
Has anyone else had trouble with the side sensors not working. I was in tripod mode which is one of the modes that the sensors are supposed to work in and they would not detect.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82