DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 and Goggles 2 after last firmware (will not actually work without the Motion Controller)

SamHir

Reactions
So I got VERY excited when I saw that the latest firmware allowed use of Googles 2 with the Mavic 3 and jumped on it immediately with the idea of using it for the "passanger" view like I did on the Mavic 2 with the original DJI goggles.

After a somewhat frustrating process of activating the goggles and updating the firmware, I made a discovery that is very annoying: you cannot actually fly the Mavic 3 without the motion controller 2, so basically you get an error message on both the goggles and the RC Pro saying that it isn't supported. This is particularly frustrating because DJI sold me the goggles alone without any warning that I absolutely needed the Montion Controller 2 to make them work.

Very disappointing, returning them as I can't actually use it. I have the original MC for my FPV and never liked it over the standard controller. Just doesn't have nearly as much responsiveness.

Reactions: GonnaFlyNow
Yes, you can. You start the drone and controller take off and hover the drone to 4- 6 feet above and then turn your goggles on. Wait until you get the video feed on your goggles and then you can fly with your controller. You will not be able to do any adjustments to the controller until you turn off the goggles. However, you can do adjustments to the camera from the goggles. If you want to record the video you have to start recording before you turn the goggles on. Also, you can record the goggles screen. Just go to the top menu and hit the record screen. So just to be clear your controller screen can't be used when the goggles are still connected. Disconnecting the goggles will get you back the screen and you can make adjustments. All the buttons still working as the "pause" RTH , camera controll

Reactions: GonnaFlyNow
Yes, you can. You start the drone and controller take off and hover the drone to 4- 6 feet above and then turn your goggles on. Wait until you get the video feed on your goggles and then you can fly with your controller. You will not be able to do any adjustments to the controller until you turn off the goggles. However, you can do adjustments to the camera from the goggles. If you want to record the video you have to start recording before you turn the goggles on. Also, you can record the goggles screen. Just go to the top menu and hit the record screen. So just to be clear your controller screen can't be used when the goggles are still connected. Disconnecting the goggles will get you back the screen and you can make adjustments.
No I get that, but the problem is that my use case is for "passangers" like the original goggles. I need to be able to see the screen. This clugy mess won't work for me.

So I got VERY excited when I saw that the latest firmware allowed use of Googles 2 with the Mavic 3 and jumped on it immediately with the idea of using it for the "passanger" view like I did on the Mavic 2 with the original DJI goggles.

After a somewhat frustrating process of activating the goggles and updating the firmware, I made a discovery that is very annoying: you cannot actually fly the Mavic 3 without the motion controller 2, so basically you get an error message on both the goggles and the RC Pro saying that it isn't supported. This is particularly frustrating because DJI sold me the goggles alone without any warning that I absolutely needed the Montion Controller 2 to make them work.

Very disappointing, returning them as I can't actually use it. I have the original MC for my FPV and never liked it over the standard controller. Just doesn't have nearly as much responsiveness.
Wow, this is a dealbreaker for me. I pulled the trigger on the Goggles 2 based on the exact same use case. I am very disappointed to hear this. Return just requested!

Yes, you can. You start the drone and controller take off and hover the drone to 4- 6 feet above and then turn your goggles on. Wait until you get the video feed on your goggles and then you can fly with your controller. You will not be able to do any adjustments to the controller until you turn off the goggles. However, you can do adjustments to the camera from the goggles. If you want to record the video you have to start recording before you turn the goggles on. Also, you can record the goggles screen. Just go to the top menu and hit the record screen. So just to be clear your controller screen can't be used when the goggles are still connected. Disconnecting the goggles will get you back the screen and you can make adjustments. All the buttons still working as the "pause" RTH , camera control.
Specifically, which adjustments to the controller are you unable to make while using the googles, that require turning the googles off? Do you only mean the onscreen touch controls, such that all other RC physical buttons still work as programmed?

Yes, the touchscreen will not work also not all buttons will work. For example, the record button will not work. You have to start recording before you turn on the goggles same if you want to take pictures. If you want to record the goggles screen you can activate that within the goggles menu. You can make camera adjustments as well from the goggles menu. the rest of the buttons will work just fine. Pause/RTH/camera tilt. However, with Mini 3 Pro, the camera will not work in selfie mode the screen will not auto-rotate.

Yes, you can. You start the drone and controller take off and hover the drone to 4- 6 feet above and then turn your goggles on. Wait until you get the video feed on your goggles and then you can fly with your controller. You will not be able to do any adjustments to the controller until you turn off the goggles. However, you can do adjustments to the camera from the goggles. If you want to record the video you have to start recording before you turn the goggles on. Also, you can record the goggles screen. Just go to the top menu and hit the record screen. So just to be clear your controller screen can't be used when the goggles are still connected. Disconnecting the goggles will get you back the screen and you can make adjustments. All the buttons still working as the "pause" RTH , camera controll
You can still see the video feed on the RC Pro controller, you just can’t adjust any of the settings - is that correct?

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Yes, the touchscreen will not work also not all buttons will work. For example, the record button will not work. You have to start recording before you turn on the goggles same if you want to take pictures. If you want to record the goggles screen you can activate that within the goggles menu. You can make camera adjustments as well from the goggles menu. the rest of the buttons will work just fine. Pause/RTH/camera tilt. However, with Mini 3 Pro, the camera will not work in selfie mode the screen will not auto-rotate.
What about taking still photographs? Will the dedicated RC Pro camera button on the rear also not take a photo? Is the RC Pro screen still visible, just not touch responsive?

Reactions: Deco
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgoodha