DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 + Battery + Filters vs FlyMore or Cine?

Ben_McPhee

Reactions
Hey guys, Almost time to finally pull the trigger on the Mavic 3, but it's been a while since I was serious about it and not sure if my old thoughts research still holds true.

Back when it launched, I kind of saw more value in the non fly more version of the Mavic 3 and building it out in my own way, rather tan blindly getting the Fly More which costs $1100 extra (Aussie bucks), but doesn't seem to offer that much extra value.

But then I also really was torn because I wanted Pro Res, but I didn't want/need the pro controller just to unlock that feature, and there's no way to get that drone without basically adding $1100 for the "fly more" and $1500 for the controller automatically. That's literally a spare drone, or a laptop, or another camera.

Only thing is... ProRes. What is the point if not to capture the best image possible?

So my plan was to buy:
- Buy the base drone, a spare battery (MAYBE 2), Quality filters, spare props.
- Car Charger, Charging Hub,
- Should be fine for Cables and Micro SD's, and with my regular camera bag.
- My iPhone 7 Plus isn't up to the task (Waiting for the 15 Pro for USB-C). But I kind of need an iPad anyway, so thinking I'll pick up a Mini soon. (Not much interest in the Pro Controller if I don't have to buy it).

So just wondering:
1. Am I missing anything? Did I save enough money? Or should I make life easy and get the Fly More?

2. Is 2 batteries for the Mavic 3 enough? (46 minute flight time is like 3 batteries for the other drones I've had, and that's ok).

3. Filter wise, are the DJI ones fine and price competitive? Or are other brands doing better things and either coming in cheaper or worth the extra?

4. For those of you who shoot Pro-Res on the Cine... thoughts?
- Worth it? That's $4300 above base price, and $3200 above the
regular Fly More Combo. (I know you get 1TB storage, but that's just so you can shoot ProRes. And I know you get the Pro Controller... but that feels like it's being forced on us. I have better things to spend $1500 on).

- Do you see the footage as being noticeably better?

- Do clients expect/prefer it (And who are those clients that care)?

It think your plan above is best for most hobbyists, indeed it would be fine for most most pros.

You're right, 2 batteries is good flight time for sure, although you would be waiting for battery 1 to charge up for quite a while still after using the 2nd.
But down the track, buying a 3rd, or even a 3rd and 4th battery if required is not too hard to deal with.

Pro Res ?
Unless you're wanting movie footage, nah you don't (shouldn't) really need it.
Coupled with that TB holding just 30mins of Pro Res, then you have a marathon download before you can use it again ?
No thanks.

The images / video out of an ordinary M3 will suit 99.999% of any sort of client, I'm sure.

Hey guys, Almost time to finally pull the trigger on the Mavic 3, but it's been a while since I was serious about it and not sure if my old thoughts research still holds true.

Back when it launched, I kind of saw more value in the non fly more version of the Mavic 3 and building it out in my own way, rather tan blindly getting the Fly More which costs $1100 extra (Aussie bucks), but doesn't seem to offer that much extra value.

But then I also really was torn because I wanted Pro Res, but I didn't want/need the pro controller just to unlock that feature, and there's no way to get that drone without basically adding $1100 for the "fly more" and $1500 for the controller automatically. That's literally a spare drone, or a laptop, or another camera.

Only thing is... ProRes. What is the point if not to capture the best image possible?

So my plan was to buy:
- Buy the base drone, a spare battery (MAYBE 2), Quality filters, spare props.
- Car Charger, Charging Hub,
- Should be fine for Cables and Micro SD's, and with my regular camera bag.
- My iPhone 7 Plus isn't up to the task (Waiting for the 15 Pro for USB-C). But I kind of need an iPad anyway, so thinking I'll pick up a Mini soon. (Not much interest in the Pro Controller if I don't have to buy it).

So just wondering:
1. Am I missing anything? Did I save enough money? Or should I make life easy and get the Fly More?

2. Is 2 batteries for the Mavic 3 enough? (46 minute flight time is like 3 batteries for the other drones I've had, and that's ok).

3. Filter wise, are the DJI ones fine and price competitive? Or are other brands doing better things and either coming in cheaper or worth the extra?

4. For those of you who shoot Pro-Res on the Cine... thoughts?
- Worth it? That's $4300 above base price, and $3200 above the
regular Fly More Combo. (I know you get 1TB storage, but that's just so you can shoot ProRes. And I know you get the Pro Controller... but that feels like it's being forced on us. I have better things to spend $1500 on).

- Do you see the footage as being noticeably better?

- Do clients expect/prefer it (And who are those clients that care)?
So many challenging questions- I can only address a few. I agonized for months after the Mavic 3 was finally fixed enough by DJI . I had double drones for a while (Mavic 2 Pro+Mavic 3). I finally got familiar enough and happy enough with M3 and sold my M2. I am still very happy with my purchase.
I think the best decision I made was to spend the money for the RC Pro controller. Up until that point I had been using an iPad 10 inch for my Mavic 2 pro. I found assembling the phone or iPad to the M2Pro was a real pain. With the RC pro it was only seconds to start flying. The image was bright and I have not had any problems with the M3. Another thing I like was the length of a single battery. I usually never even get to my 2nd battery, let alone my 3rd battery which I have still not used.
I really am happy with the non-cine version. I am not a professional pilot-just a hobbies.

Dale

Last edited:
Here's what I have in it... I purchased just the Mavic 3 for $2050 from best buy. Then I purchased a single extra battery for $210. Then I bought the bag for $60 on eBay brand spanking new. (There's several on there right now. Its an AWESOME bag.) Then I bought just the lower (4/8/16/32) Nd filters for $100 on eBay. That sits me at $2420.

I'm missing a darker set of filters that only a professional can utilize and the extra battery... So, you decide. The combo comes in at $2850. So if you get another $210 battery to equal the 3 the combo comes with, you still save $220. Or I would. ;)

As I stand, I've saved $330 because I really only need the two batteries...Thats a ton of time in the air for me atm.

Reactions: LinkerBlue
Here's what I have in it... I purchased just the Mavic 3 for $2050 from best buy. Then I purchased a single extra battery for $210. Then I bought the bag for $60 on eBay brand spanking new. (There's several on there right now. Its an AWESOME bag.) Then I bought just the lower (4/8/16/32) Nd filters for $100 on eBay. That sits me at $2420.

I'm missing a darker set of filters that only a professional can utilize and the extra battery... So, you decide. The combo comes in at $2850. So if you get another $210 battery to equal the 3 the combo comes with, you still save $220.
Sounds good to me. Unless you are really ambitious, I don't think you will ever get to the 3rd battery. I most fly with the 16ND on the lens at all times. You can always go back and spend more dollars if you need to after you fly it for az while.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
I bought everything individually after the just the drone and saved money versus the flymore plus got exactly what I wanted. Of course I'm now up to 6 batteries lol.

I'm missing a darker set of filters that only a professional can utilize and the extra battery... So, you decide. The combo comes in at $2850. So if you get another $210 battery to equal the 3 the combo comes with, you still save $220. Or I would. ;)

As I stand, I've saved $330 because I really only need the two batteries...Thats a ton of time in the air for me atm.

You have to add the triple battery/remote charger though. But yeah, there's not that much to save on the flymore kit.

You have to add the triple battery/remote charger though. But yeah, there's not that much to save on the flymore kit.
Oh, youre, right. I bought the triple charger, too, from Amazon for $80. So, take that off. Youre right about that.

I have to be honest I came from the Air 2s and loved that!! It flew great and worked no problems, I was very happy with that. cut to the Mavic 3, You have no idea how excited i was to get the mavic 3. The drone of drones!! the who's whos of Auv. Well to be completely honest. I haven't been that impressed with it so far at all!!.

You can't really fly automated flight paths, cause they wont release SDK to third party apps, so right away id rather use my air 2s. The Mavic 3 is supper jerky or sensitive, when it stops no matter how fast or slow your going it looks like it's going to tip over!! As far as the camera, I can't really honestly see that big of a difference. The camera is slightly better but it's by no means the next level ground breaking technology that they go on about. which brings us to the battery. I might be missing something so let me know, please. Is the only way to charge the battery to charge it thought the drone? i can't find any other way other than buying the overpriced triple battery charger.

I still find myself amazed that companies will charge people 4 and 5 thousand dollars for a product, and then have the nerve to ask for even more money for a something like a battery charger, that cost literally pennies on the dollars to make. it's like we're not happy until we squeeze every last dime out of this customer leave him broke. Then lets ignore all the online complaints about situations that affect literally hundreds if not thousands of the very same customers that just dropped the price of a car down on a drone.

(awesome business plan) I mean what about the cooling down of the battery first and finally could they have chosen a worse place for the the sd card. Like i said i've just dug into it and i've only had it for 3 days so far, i'm totally not jumping out of my skin for this drone. that's for sure!!

I know i haven't got to really dig into it and see everything it has to offer, but at 1000 dollars more than i paid for my air2s, Im very disappointed. I love my AIr 2S. but in all honesty the only thing I can really complain about when it comes to the air2s is the battery life.. i purchased the fly more combo with the air 2s and really the only thing i use from it is the extra batteries and the 3 battery charger. The mavic 3 battery has a noticeably longer battery life, I went through 3 batteries on the AIR2s very quick and on the mavic three at least so far it seems pretty long battery life so far. the filters the bag and the propellers all of the connectors. I Got the drone and and extra battery, It ended up being a less than the the fly more, and i'm happy with that decision.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S