DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Cine - First Flight behavior not impressive

I got the new M3 Cine… returned the OLD M3 Cine.
In process of updating Firmware…
This time I downloaded the DJI Asst for M3, installed on my Mac.
Connected the M3, immediatly connected and showed the current and new FW. Updated very quickly compared to OTA using Radio & Fly App. Once it completed, I powered it off and Plugged in the Radio and it too connected promptly… showed the current and new FW. The new was excess of 1.5 GB in size and installed so much faster than OTA method. Personally, I feel this is more reliable too.

For those with M3, you might consider updates via DJI Asst… works nicely on Windows & Mac.
Updates both M3 and Radios.… power 1 on at a time.

Reactions: BBartol
Every time I get ready to order the M3, I read another disheartening review like this. I'm still sticking with my M2 P for now. I really don't need or appreciate all of the new aggravations going on with the M3. When. I start reading consistent good reviews I'll go ahead and order the M3 but for me, DJI, you can keep it until you fix it.

Dale
Miami
How do we know these guys have any idea what they are doing? My M3 has worked just fine from day one. How do we know they aren’t trolls, how do we know they even own a DJI drone? I don’t know a single person on this forum and I question if 1/2 of them actually own an M3? I’m no fan of DJI, I dislike their service and their marketing tactics, and at no time would I ever give a DJI rave review. I would never suggest anyone ever buy a DJI product, that being said, there is nothing wrong with mine. Of course, I read the manual before I flew it... does the RTH work, yes it does as it should, I’ve had a disconnect because I was over a hill behind trees, lost signal, soon as the drone got signal back I canceled RTH and went on with my flight.

I’d hesitate to buy a Dji drone, but not because it doesn’t work right, because Dji service stinks.

Interesting
How do we know these guys have any idea what they are doing? My M3 has worked just fine from day one. How do we know they aren’t trolls, how do we know they even own a DJI drone? I don’t know a single person on this forum and I question if 1/2 of them actually own an M3? I’m no fan of DJI, I dislike their service and their marketing tactics, and at no time would I ever give a DJI rave review. I would never suggest anyone ever buy a DJI product, that being said, there is nothing wrong with mine. Of course, I read the manual before I flew it... does the RTH work, yes it does as it should, I’ve had a disconnect because I was over a hill behind trees, lost signal, soon as the drone got signal back I canceled RTH and went on with my flight.

I’d hesitate to buy a Dji drone, but not because it doesn’t work right, because Dji service stinks.

Interesting expression... and along that same path, how do we know "you" and if you own a M3? ;):cool:
I'd easily agree that this forum's total membership, 1/2 don't own a M3... and that means what, their comments and observations don't add value to discussion?

DJI Service, 2 yrs ago was revamped in USA Service center, have no knowledge of Canadian DJI Service. They greatly improved their communication, in-processing, turn-around time, and dialog between Service Tech & Owner. Their Ticket creation process works great, and they provide shipping both To & From DJI Service. I've sent Camers: Z3's, X5S, XT2 640, sent LightBridge Module, A3Pro components, and a few crafts: FPV & Inspire 2. All very quick and complete repairs... Several items I've picked up on eBay Used and they've repaired no cost.

I've not experienced any poor service since their new service was introduced about 2 yrs ago.
What have you found in their Repair Service that stinks... particularly in comparison to other Brands?
I've had interactions with Yuneec... totally terrible, slow, and not caring to communicate or assist, Power Vision - weeks to respond, weeks waiting on parts, Autel - just overall lacking in helpfulness & support, Skydio - Slow to respond, and more templated service... although they did assist after some time.

Did they maybe push the M3 out a bit early... maybe, but I'm pretty confident it'll be a leading craft in time.

My 2nd M3Cine updated nicely, didn't require a few reboots, the Radio & Connections to the Radio were without issues, and it flew a battery in 8F Temp without the oddity the 1st one displayed. The ONLY Thing I thought was poor was the GPS Lock... it quickly got to 8 Satellites, then crawled to gain 4-5 more.

On the Satellite count; that is odd. The recent new crafts: Autel EVO 2 Ent and Mavic 3 have displayed slow GPS lock. Reading about other new crafts: Lite+, Nano+ they're slow to Lock too. Makes ya ponder if new Chips have similarities.

Last edited:
Interesting

Interesting expression... and along that same path, how do we know "you" and if you own a M3? ;):cool:
I'd easily agree that this forum's total membership, 1/2 don't own a M3... and that means what, their comments and observations don't add value to discussion?

DJI Service, 2 yrs ago was revamped in USA Service center, have no knowledge of Canadian DJI Service. They greatly improved their communication, in-processing, turn-around time, and dialog between Service Tech & Owner. Their Ticket creation process works great, and they provide shipping both To & From DJI Service. I've sent Camers: Z3's, X5S, XT2 640, sent LightBridge Module, A3Pro components, and a few crafts: FPV & Inspire 2. All very quick and complete repairs... Several items I've picked up on eBay Used and they've repaired no cost.

I've not experienced any poor service since their new service was introduced about 2 yrs ago.
What have you found in their Repair Service that sticks... particularly in comparison to other Brands?
I've had interactions with Yuneec... totally terrible, slow, and not caring to communicate or assist, Power Vision - weeks to respond, weeks waiting on parts, Autel - just overall lacking in helpfulness & support, Skydio - Slow to respond, and more templated service... although they did assist after some time.

Did they maybe push the M3 out a bit early... maybe, but I'm pretty confident it'll be a leading craft in time.

My 2nd M3Cine updated nicely, didn't require a few reboots, the Radio & Connections to the Radio were without issues, and it flew a battery in 8F Temp without the oddity the 1st one displayed. The ONLY Thing I thought was poor was the GPS Lock... it quickly got to 8 Satellites, then crawled to gain 4-5 more.

On the Satellite count; that is odd. The recent new crafts: Autel EVO 2 Ent and Mavic 3 have displayed slow GPS lock. Reading about other new crafts: Lite+, Nano+ they're slow to Lock too. Makes ya ponder if new Chips have similarities.

Maybe I am a troll, maybe your a troll helping to improve DJIs service image. Who knows? Given your take then I’d say DJI owes me a brad new Inspire 2 with x5s. You really don’t want me pasting some of the emails I’ve received from from. Terrible. I2 took off and crashed itself into the side of my house damaging drone and house. Told me it was pilot error, so I asked them to check the flight log and show me what I did wrong so I don’t do it again. They said sure, send us the flight log and we will have our technicians look at it. Then I said the obvious, you call this crash pilot error and now it comes out no one at DJI has ever seen the flight log.

For 4 months emails went back and fourth, a lawyer got involved... a used refurbished drone was sent to the dealer I left it there for 2 months.

I have no reason to believe DJI is any different then it was 2.5 years ago. I sold the I2 last summer because it was unreliable, mind of its own. Maybe I got a Lemmon, DJI could care less. They want your money, they want you buying multiple drones which is why they won’t mass produce one that can do it all. Built the P5 with interchangeable lenses then ditched it so you’d buy the I2 instead. Whose going to buy the M3 or I2 if the P5 has 4/3rds sensor with interchangeable lenses. Done deliberately, they make these foldable drones yet their marketing strategy is deliberately done so you need 2 or 3 drones, which contradicts the purpose behind a compact drone.

Maybe I am a troll, maybe your a troll helping to improve DJIs service image. Who knows? Given your take then I’d say DJI owes me a brad new Inspire 2 with x5s. You really don’t want me pasting some of the emails I’ve received from from. Terrible. I2 took off and crashed itself into the side of my house damaging drone and house. Told me it was pilot error, so I asked them to check the flight log and show me what I did wrong so I don’t do it again. They said sure, send us the flight log and we will have our technicians look at it. Then I said the obvious, you call this crash pilot error and now it comes out no one at DJI has ever seen the flight log.

For 4 months emails went back and fourth, a lawyer got involved... a used refurbished drone was sent to the dealer I left it there for 2 months.

I have no reason to believe DJI is any different then it was 2.5 years ago. I sold the I2 last summer because it was unreliable, mind of its own. Maybe I got a Lemmon, DJI could care less. They want your money, they want you buying multiple drones which is why they won’t mass produce one that can do it all. Built the P5 with interchangeable lenses then ditched it so you’d buy the I2 instead. Whose going to buy the M3 or I2 if the P5 has 4/3rds sensor with interchangeable lenses. Done deliberately, they make these foldable drones yet their marketing strategy is deliberately done so you need 2 or 3 drones, which contradicts the purpose behind a compact drone.
Sorry for your experience, it can be frustrating.
Stories similar are in every product made, every manufacturer... there are bad cases... unique but exits. Why buy a pricey M3 if trust & good faith is zero with DJI? Best of Luck going forward with M3.

I drive GM and Mopar... many bad cases but I still feel vehicles are good. At this stage, I don't know any sUAV manufacturer that doesn't have similar stories... time to get out of drones? :cool:

I have no reason to believe DJI is any different then it was 2.5 years ago. I sold the I2 last summer because it was unreliable, mind of its own.
Reread your post... You accepted the refurb I2 and you continued to use the Inspire 2 for 2yrs.. even feeling it behaved oddly? Did you create a ticket and send it to them for repair or continued to use & fly?

If not behaving correct, it's not airworthy... I'd have either repaired to gain confidence & controlling I2 or replaced it.

I have 2x I2 and 2x I1... all perform nicely but not as stable as newer M2P and Radio. Hover isn't close to M2P stability and video transmission doesn't compare... but good crafts for their technology.

Again, good luck with M3.

Reread your post... You accepted the refurb I2 and you continued to use the Inspire 2 for 2yrs.. even feeling it behaved oddly? Did you create a ticket and send it to them for repair or continued to use & fly?

If not behaving correct, it's not airworthy... I'd have either repaired to gain confidence & controlling I2 or replaced it.

I have 2x I2 and 2x I1... all perform nicely but not as stable as newer M2P and Radio. Hover isn't close to M2P stability and video transmission doesn't compare... but good crafts for their technology.

Again, good luck with M3.
Well, actually no I didn’t, that I2 sat in my basement for over a year. After the crash DJI insisted it was safe to fly. To be sure I spent $1200 to insure it for a year, $5 million personal liability. When that policy ended I never flew the drone again. So, had it 3 years, sat in my basement for one year, DJI had it in their possession for 6 months.

Would have been nice to know why it crashed? Sent DJI the flight logs they insisted they couldn’t open them, but the dealer could and I could. Was strange, log showed the drone took off, hovered a few seconds, then took off towards the house on an exact 21% joystick input, had to duck as it nearly hit me in the head, hit the side of the house then fell 7 feet onto concrete. Damaged the vinyl siding and heavy damage to drone.

Then, told the dealer who pretended to be me without my knowledge that it was pilot error, and will not be covered on warranty. If find out the dealer pretended to be me and flipped out, then I started talking directly to DJI. They told me the same thing, pilot error. I said fine, tell me what error I made so it doesn’t happen again. They said send us your flight log, I told them you already have it, it’s in the drone, that’s your copy. All I2 have internal copies of flight logs. They said they said we don’t have it, so I said if you haven’t looked at the flight log how do you know it’s pilot error? Dealer told me that’s DJI generic response.

To this day no DJI technician ever looked at the flight log. They told me it was corrupted couldn’t open it, another generic response. I’ve seen that response many times “can’t open the flight log it’s corrupted”. It’s a sleazy way to get out of doing warranty work. DJI knows every trick in the book.

Thought about reporting them to transport Canada but gave up on it. They better hope my M3 never malfunctions because I know all their tricks and now have a full understanding of how their sleazy system works.

Sorry for your experience, it can be frustrating.
Stories similar are in every product made, every manufacturer... there are bad cases... unique but exits. Why buy a pricey M3 if trust & good faith is zero with DJI? Best of Luck going forward with M3.

I drive GM and Mopar... many bad cases but I still feel vehicles are good. At this stage, I don't know any sUAV manufacturer that doesn't have similar stories... time to get out of drones? :cool:
Ya I hear ya, I drive a Dodge and there are pretty scary Dodge stories. It is what it is. I never intended to ever buy another DJI product, then I heard this M3 has the 4/3rds x5s sensor, which I must say is an excellent sensor. Unfortunately they put it in a Mavic, never liked Mavics either, swore I’d never own lol. My previous experience with the x5s is the sole reason I went for the M3. I will admit it’s growing on me, kinda like it. Bought the device holder that has a 1/4 inch thread so the entire RC can sit on a tripod which is key as I’m not a thumb flyer, I like holding the joysticks like pens gives me better control, but hard to do if your also holding the remote.

Only thing I miss about the I2 is the 25mm lens sunset pictures, they were awesome.

Ya I hear ya, I drive a Dodge and there are pretty scary Dodge stories. It is what it is. I never intended to ever buy another DJI product, then I heard this M3 has the 4/3rds x5s sensor, which I must say is an excellent sensor. Unfortunately they put it in a Mavic, never liked Mavics either, swore I’d never own lol. My previous experience with the x5s is the sole reason I went for the M3. I will admit it’s growing on me, kinda like it. Bought the device holder that has a 1/4 inch thread so the entire RC can sit on a tripod which is key as I’m not a thumb flyer, I like holding the joysticks like pens gives me better control, but hard to do if your also holding the remote.

Only thing I miss about the I2 is the 25mm lens sunset pictures, they were awesome.
Well you certainly had an adventure with that ordeal… bummer to hear that one! If curious, if you still have the logs, Inspire or Mavic site has several with software to fully examine… sounds like you’ve already looked at yourself.

Ya, I haven’t explored the M3 camera yet… weather colder than my pleasure to sit outside. MFT sensor should be nice, but unlike X5S… small fixed lens. I’m still not convinced it’ll be as nice as a full size, nice glass MFT lense. But I will get the add-on wide angle lens, that makes it a 12mm if I recall… which is my favorite lens for construction sites.

Good luck on M3!

Received the Mavic 3 Cine, looking forward to experiencing the flight behavior after reviews & comments indicating so much better than Mavic 2. Unpacked and performed all updates & IMU calibration prior to any flights. Also my first exposure to Smart Controller and built in screen.

Set it down outside and started it all up… good camera view, gimbal movement, 11+ Satilites and ready to lift off. Then message popped up “not connected to RC” and screen went B&W. Then 30 seconds later, connected… then disconnected again. Powered all off, restarted… same ordeal connecting then disconnect. Third restart and seemed to maintain connection… lifted off, hover 5-6 ft to begin feeling behavior. Screen went B&W and disconnected message again, although it would respond to landing. Powered Off, restarted SC… looked through menu a bit to see if any problem, nothing found but did receive a few prompts on Care Refresh and DJI Fly Report that I worked through to exit.

Restarted and it remained connected. Flew a few small patterns around me. Noticed immediately it felt slow to yaw, ascend & descend... Like in Tripod mode. Flipped to Sport mode improved some but not compared to the M2P, which is much faster in reaction to sticks and speed of Yaw, Climb & Descend.

I’ll look at the gains, but out of the box, it’s a bit underwhelming for flight behavior. The M2P was impressive on 1st flight, had expected M3 to be more refined behavior but also fast & agile than M2P.
I noticed waaay too much float on hovering. This is why i preferred the M2 over the PHantm4. Bigger drones simply cannot sit still so no close shots will ever be as steady on anything larger. Not sure why the M3 is so much less still in the air than M2 but its another in the long list of disappointing facts of this model

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor