DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 classic hits a tree while on active track

markoante12

Reactions
Hello ya'll, yesterday I was flying my Mavic 3 classic on active track following a car from right side and later switched to front/right side option. Everything was perfect until I turned the car slightly to the right - the drone went crazy and started changing it's postion to my left side and rammed right into a tree (obstacle avoidance was on and it worked perfectly right before the hit). There's a crack on the body, broken propeller and a gimbal has detached. My question is what to do now? Is this covered under warranty and will I get it fixed for free because it was an obstacle avoidance error? I also have a care refresh so I could activate it - is that option better because of the possibility of getting a new drone? If dji says it was user error and warranty doesn't cover this fix, I will still have to activate my care refresh. In this case will I just get my old drone fixed or they will send a new one? If anyone was in a similar situation how did dji respond to this? Thank you for your answers!20230927_125858.jpg20230927_125932.jpg

If neither the gimbal cables nor the gimbal & camera themselves have been damaged then my guess would be that the damper rubbers can be refitted through the holes in the gimbal's frame. You may need to use tweezers and if you start getting exasperated put the drone down and go have a cup of tea or something .
As for the crack unfortunately ...... I would guess that's a care refresh. I can only see it being a warranty issue if the logs show something went wrong with the drone or DJI are feeling generous
You could post the txt flight log here but as for the DAT flight logs I suppose it might be worth having a look to see if the DAT from the controller/phone is encrypted. The DAT from the drone is almost certainly encrypted.

I've only ever flown using APAS and any of the autonomous modes a couple of times, and both occasions have come within a hair's breadth of disaster.... and that was using the mavic 2 which is like mister Magoo compared to the Mav 3. The collision avoidance sensors are a great idea in theory, but even the "omnidirectional" flavour fitted to the brand new birds can be squirrelly and get thrown out of whack by something as simple as a fast moving subject, or by the speed the drone is moving at.
This is where expectation trips over the foot of capability. DJI doesn't help matters with their dishonest marketing videos that (since the original Mavic pro) always seem to show two drones flying fast within inches of each other and playing 'chase' through forests.
Regardless of hype, I always prefer to use the best safety device of all: the Mark #1 eyeball.

Reactions: old man mavic
@markoante12 ,as wonderful as the OA system is ,at detecting and avoiding objects in the vicinity of the drone,what it cant control is inertia ,or simply put, the time it takes ,between the OA spotting the obstacle, and the drone reacting ,and unfortunately ,the heavier the drone is ,then the longer it takes
this is one of the reasons that the smaller Mini size drones ,like the Mini 3 pro ,or new Mini 4 pro, have fared better, during auto follow modes

Hello ya'll, yesterday I was flying my Mavic 3 classic on active track following a car from right side and later switched to front/right side option. Everything was perfect until I turned the car slightly to the right - the drone went crazy and started changing it's postion to my left side and rammed right into a tree (obstacle avoidance was on and it worked perfectly right before the hit). There's a crack on the body, broken propeller and a gimbal has detached. My question is what to do now? Is this covered under warranty and will I get it fixed for free because it was an obstacle avoidance error? I also have a care refresh so I could activate it - is that option better because of the possibility of getting a new drone? If dji says it was user error and warranty doesn't cover this fix, I will still have to activate my care refresh. In this case will I just get my old drone fixed or they will send a new one? If anyone was in a similar situation how did dji respond to this? Thank you for your answers!View attachment 168687View attachment 168688
If you have care refesh, you will get a new drone, BTW sorry for your loss! I have the same drone.

I no longer feel I can count on OA. I've run into trees before too. I did learn that the Mavic 3 can cut off a 1/2 inch think spruce tree limb and that ended any thoughts I had about hand landing. I've had to have repairs done twice and DJI was super responsive so I hope your situation will be the same. OA can clearly be useful and is also clearly not infallible. Tree branches seem to be a big issue LOL.

My Mavic 3 Classic hit the tree branches 3 to 4 times in succession as it was set to By-pass obstacles on a Waypoint mission where the GPS is Not Very Precise, could easily go 15 to 25 feet off course. I finally got it under control just, did not drop ! It all happened so fast and I was right there 40 to 45 feet away on the ground.

Reactions: markoante12
If neither the gimbal cables nor the gimbal & camera themselves have been damaged then my guess would be that the damper rubbers can be refitted through the holes in the gimbal's frame. You may need to use tweezers and if you start getting exasperated put the drone down and go have a cup of tea or something .
As for the crack unfortunately ...... I would guess that's a care refresh. I can only see it being a warranty issue if the logs show something went wrong with the drone or DJI are feeling generous
You could post the txt flight log here but as for the DAT flight logs I suppose it might be worth having a look to see if the DAT from the controller/phone is encrypted. The DAT from the drone is almost certainly encrypted.
Gimbal is unfortunately broken (one little plastic piece) so it needs repair, I would like to do that but I dont know how to on flight log on app it is showing speed and height and that I didn't use sticks but video cut off around the time drone started behaving weirdly so I don't have footage of hit

Reactions: RodPad
I've only ever flown using APAS and any of the autonomous modes a couple of times, and both occasions have come within a hair's breadth of disaster.... and that was using the mavic 2 which is like mister Magoo compared to the Mav 3. The collision avoidance sensors are a great idea in theory, but even the "omnidirectional" flavour fitted to the brand new birds can be squirrelly and get thrown out of whack by something as simple as a fast moving subject, or by the speed the drone is moving at.
This is where expectation trips over the foot of capability. DJI doesn't help matters with their dishonest marketing videos that (since the original Mavic pro) always seem to show two drones flying fast within inches of each other and playing 'chase' through forests.
Regardless of hype, I always prefer to use the best safety device of all: the Mark #1 eyeball.
Yes I know, I was doing the same but because of no obstacles on side where drone was supposed to be and because of driving a car I couldn't see it and stop it in time :(

I hope because I read you can get old refurbished drones and mine is brand new it has 8 battery cycles, also I am hesitant in sending battery because od that.
If you have care refesh, you will get a new drone, BTW sorry for your loss! I have the same drone.

Here is the truth, The propeller guards and landing pads are the ones that give great protection, I never fly or touch a drone until propellers guards are on and Foldable Extended Landing Gear for $10.
A few days back they said Thunderstorm and Flash Flooding, was very windy. Suddenly the sky turned Red. I took out my Air2S with Propeller guards and extended landing gear, was capturing the most beautiful Sky and suddenly the wind drifted the Air 2S in to the Power cables. I got struck there but finally I raised it and flew back. Can't find no damage due to Propeller guards and extended landing gear ! !
Never fly without them.
Regards,
Ajay

Attachments

• Sm Fe4 Sat 36 Sha 166-2.2 39 to 45 Sep 22nd Sunset Air 2 S DJI_0839_stitch.jpg
    Sm Fe4 Sat 36 Sha 166-2.2 39 to 45 Sep 22nd Sunset Air 2 S DJI_0839_stitch.jpg
    822.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Sm Fe4 Sat36 Sha 166-2.2 Sep 22nd Sundown Air2S 55 to 58 Sep 22nd Sunset Air 2S DJI_0855_stitch.jpg
    Sm Fe4 Sat36 Sha 166-2.2 Sep 22nd Sundown Air2S 55 to 58 Sep 22nd Sunset Air 2S DJI_0855_stitch.jpg
    934.2 KB · Views: 23
/Rc n1 with samsung s22 ultra (android) and windows pc

Assuming you are using a recent version of the App connect the phone to the computer via USB, then use windows explorer to follow the folder chain
Computer/phone's-name/Phone/Android/data/dji.go.v5/Files/FlightRecord
in FlightRecord you should find a list of the flight logs, the crash flight is probably the last one. Upload that log to
and post the resulting URL here.
In FlightRecord you should see a folder named MCDatFilghtRecord, if you have not synced your logs with DJI then that folder will contain the DAT flight logs, if they exist upload the last DAT to here.

If you use an early version of the app then look in
Computer/phone's-name/Phone/DJI/dji.go.v5/FlightRecord .

Here is the truth... Air2S with Propeller guards and extended landing gear...suddenly the wind drifted the Air 2S in to the Power cables...
And here is probably another truth... ;)

If you had skipped putting on those extras which act as sails... your Air2S most probably hadn't drifted with the wind into those cables.

Have seen far to many people here on the forum that used prop guards outdoors in an attempt to protect their drone, but lost it due to that... only use prop guards when you want to protect something else from the drone & preferably in totally windless conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: markoante12
Assuming you are using a recent version of the App connect the phone to the computer via USB, then use windows explorer to follow the folder chain
Computer/phone's-name/Phone/Android/data/dji.go.v5/Files/FlightRecord
in FlightRecord you should find a list of the flight logs, the crash flight is probably the last one. Upload that log to
and post the resulting URL here.
In FlightRecord you should see a folder named MCDatFilghtRecord, if you have not synced your logs with DJI then that folder will contain the DAT flight logs, if they exist upload the last DAT to here.

If you use an early version of the app then look in
Computer/phone's-name/Phone/DJI/dji.go.v5/FlightRecord .
Thank you for help, here is flight log DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com , Dat file is not there because I synced flight log already I think

Your flight log works!
These different flight modes etc, I have no clue anymore. :rolleyes:

I will be silent for now. 👌

Rod ..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas