DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 classic hits a tree while on active track

This isn't anything more than a pilot error relying to much on the OD sensors not aware of the limitations of those & not realizing that the active track function only can react on the present happenings & not future ones yet to come. Your drone didn't "went crazy" & this incident shouldn't be covered by a warranty.

Along with the red flight path left in the pic below your drone came in with a heading speed of a tad over 20mph... keeping the same pace as your car. When your car entered that right turn the drone reacted on that & started to brake & brought continuously down the speed... & the more your car turned right it slowed down from the drones point of view, & the drone continued to brake... a bit hesitant. During this braking the drone crossed the road & there the OD sensors missed out on those trees there & crashed.

Have in the picture drawn in a probable continued flight path if the trees haven't been there & stopped your drone. The drone had very likely realized that it no longer was placed in front of to the right anymore & corrected that.

Don't use Active track close to objects, don't fully rely on the OD sensors, always expect a hesitant behavior with unexpected movements during Active track when the followed object perform sudden & major course changes.

(Your cars assumed position in orange & in green the most likely path your drone had taken if it hadn't crashed)
1695982819906.png

This isn't anything more than a pilot error relying to much on the OD sensors not aware of the limitations of those & not realizing that the active track function only can react on the present happenings & not future ones yet to come. Your drone didn't "went crazy" & this incident shouldn't be covered by a warranty.

Along with the red flight path left in the pic below your drone came in with a heading speed of a tad over 20mph... keeping the same pace as your car. When your car entered that right turn the drone reacted on that & started to brake & brought continuously down the speed... & the more your car turned right it slowed down from the drones point of view, & the drone continued to brake... a bit hesitant. During this braking the drone crossed the road & there the OD sensors missed out on those trees there & crashed.

Have in the picture drawn in a probable continued flight path if the trees haven't been there & stopped your drone. The drone had very likely realized that it no longer was placed in front of to the right anymore & corrected that.

Don't use Active track close to objects, don't fully rely on the OD sensors, always expect a hesitant behavior with unexpected movements during Active track when the followed object perform sudden & major course changes.

(Your cars assumed position in orange & in green the most likely path your drone had taken if it hadn't crashed)
View attachment 168722
Thank you so much for your detailed explanation!

Can you explain? What do you mean?
Sorry, I watch all the crash ones that have flight logs.

I meant its viewable and shareable Thumbswayup
And I figure some of them out, but no way on this one :rolleyes:

I also knew there are about 10 members here that would have an answer for you within 12 hrs.Thumbswayup👌

Rod ..

Yes I know, I was doing the same but because of no obstacles on side where drone was supposed to be and because of driving a car I couldn't see it and stop it in time :(
You should not operate a vehicle and a drone at the same time.

The DJI manual even warns about this. In addition, in some jurisdictions it is illegal (Canada for example).

Reactions: FLDave
You should not operate a vehicle and a drone at the same time.

The DJI manual even warns about this. In addition, in some jurisdictions it is illegal (Canada for example).
I am in Europe flying over my private land on unmarked field road with no cars and if you check dji release video for mavic3 you will see a guy using active track on himself and driving bike through very complex forest environment and drone dodging all obstacles and in my case it couldn't see tree in wide open field so if that is forbidden it is false marketing

Reactions: RodPad
@markoante12 ,with all due respect ,every marketing promontional video, is going to show the product in a very positive light
and somewhere in the small print ,there is usually a disclaimer ,about not guarenteeing,what is being shown
this applies to many many products ,and in reality we the consumer, have to take what is being claimed,with a pinch of salt
the main difference in the case of your crash ,was not that the OA didnt work ,but it was unable to prevent the crash ,due to the drones speed ,and the fact that it was turning ,and trying to find the tracked subject ,all in the blink of an eye
the legalities of what you were attempting at the time ,was not mentioned by me ,or indeed @slup in his excelent breakdown ,of the likely cause of the crash
OA is not infallible ,and at best it will help the drone to avoid contact with static obstacles
if conditions are favourable for such an event ,these incude speed of the drone ,lighting and the actual stucture that is trying to be avoided

And here is probably another truth... ;)

If you had skipped putting on those extras which act as sails... your Air2S most probably hadn't drifted with the wind into those cables.

Have seen far to many people here on the forum that used prop guards outdoors in an attempt to protect their drone, but lost it due to that... only use prop guards when you want to protect something else from the drone & preferably in totally windless conditions.
Anyone have suggestions on best prop guards for Mavic 3 original?
Thinking for indoor use at low speeds mostly. Be a nice tool option to have.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne