DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Classic Precision Landing

Update
I waited until I had 18 satellites locked before taking off today, and made two longer flights. Both times the aircraft landed spot-on on the pad. I had expected the same performance I get on my Mavic Air 2 (10-12 satellites it all it need to reliable execute precision landings), but this one needs a little more. I am happy now that the problem seems to be manageable, and I thank everyone for their input.

Reactions: Dbez1
Update
I waited until I had 18 satellites locked before taking off today, and made two longer flights. Both times the aircraft landed spot-on on the pad. I had expected the same performance I get on my Mavic Air 2 (10-12 satellites it all it need to reliable execute precision landings), but this one needs a little more.
Two points:
Precision landing does not come from GPS.
GPS will only reliably position the drone within a couple of metres.
Return to Home uses GPS to bring the drone back to the approximate location of the home point, but then uses optical technology to precisely put the drone right at the spot it was launched from.
The drone records an image of the launch point and uses that to find the precise spot, not GPS.

Your Mavic 3 is receiving signals from three different satellite systems while the Air 2 was only accessing two, so your sat numbers should be approximately 50% more with the Mavic 3.
But as I explained in post #9, it's not the number of satellites that indicates whether you have a home point or not.
Having 18 sats might have recorded a home point, but does not guarantee it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu