DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3! Did anyone already see any info about it?

RuudF

Reactions
Hi all,

Did anyone already see any information about the Mavic 3?
Like: is it true it is coming soon? When?
And did anyone hear rumours about the specs?
And most important: do you need a second mortgage for it?

Ruud

4K at 240fps? Now that would be something else.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Hi all,

Did anyone already see any information about the Mavic 3?
Like: is it true it is coming soon? When?
And did anyone hear rumours about the specs?
And most important: do you need a second mortgage for it?

Ruud

Aside from being able to crop down in post production, I see very little benefit from the push, not only in this industry, but also the likes of GoPro and other sport cam companies to shoot in 8K. 99% of my current work is still rendered in 1080, and yes will make the jump to 4K eventually... but 8K?.... really?

1) How many of you own, or even plan to own an 8K TV?
2) How many of you plan to buy massive digital storage and new computers to handle the files at 8K?

To me these are bells and whistles that only increase the price of the product without any realistic (for the average person) benefit.

I would rather these companies (drone and camera companies) work on:

1) Making the cameras smaller, not bigger
2) Longer battery life
3) Better sensor technology (not necessarily any bigger at this point!) - better HDR, low light capability etc.
4) better lens quality
5) Next generation image stabilization

My two cents.

Aside from being able to crop down in post production, I see very little benefit from the push, not only in this industry, but also the likes of GoPro and other sport cam companies to shoot in 8K. 99% of my current work is still rendered in 1080, and yes will make the jump to 4K eventually... but 8K?.... really?

2) How many of you plan to buy massive digital storage and new computers to handle the files at 8K?

To me these are bells and whistles that only increase the price of the product without any realistic (for the average person) benefit.

2) Longer battery life
3) Better sensor technology (not necessarily any bigger at this point!) - better HDR, low light capability etc.
4) better lens quality

My two cents.

I totally agree. My 2 biggest clients (One was for a TV show and one was for in-person entertainment but it was Video) both told us up front, "Don't shoot in 4K. We don't need that resolution and we don't have the equipment to process and edit all that data in the field. Shoot in 1080p and we'll handle it from there."

Some sources last October said, DJI would wait for FAA regulations, which were published in December 2020. From this point of time these sources meant, that DJI needs 4-6 more months to develop an publish the DJI 3. So it's more probable that we do not see Mavic 3 before June 2021 due to COVID perhaps also not before Q3.

Some sources last October said, DJI would wait for FAA regulations, which were published in December 2020. From this point of time these sources meant, that DJI needs 4-6 more months to develop an publish the DJI 3. So it's more probable that we do not see Mavic 3 before June 2021 due to COVID perhaps also not before Q3.
That make a lot of sense, seeing how DJI has been at the forefront of consumer drone "safety". They (not prompted by the FAA as far as I know) set up Geofencing to reduce risk. I would assume, since they are a Chinese company and the USA is taking a somewhat hard line on Chinese tech, they are most likely wanting to please the FAA as much as possible. I would think that now that the FAA guidelines are out they will tailor the M3 to those guidelines. This, IMO, will be good for us and worth the wait, as I would expect Remote ID to be a big part of the new wave of consumer drones.

All this being said, I would love to pop for the new M2EA with the thermal camera, but if it does not have remote ID, or at least the future capability, I see the shelf life being short. I think DJI is smarter than that and would hope they have some tricks up there sleeve to possibly make the current MP2 and M2EA upgradable to remote ID.

SO.... I agree.... a few/several more months, besides the current models are very good IMO :)

You can't hope for small camera with big sensor. Imho

2) Longer battery life
4) better lens quality

My two cents.

That make a lot of sense, seeing how DJI has been at the forefront of consumer drone "safety". They (not prompted by the FAA as far as I know) set up Geofencing to reduce risk. I would assume, since they are a Chinese company and the USA is taking a somewhat hard line on Chinese tech, they are most likely wanting to please the FAA as much as possible. I would think that now that the FAA guidelines are out they will tailor the M3 to those guidelines. This, IMO, will be good for us and worth the wait, as I would expect Remote ID to be a big part of the new wave of consumer drones.

All this being said, I would love to pop for the new M2EA with the thermal camera, but if it does not have remote ID, or at least the future capability, I see the shelf life being short. I think DJI is smarter than that and would hope they have some tricks up there sleeve to possibly make the current MP2 and M2EA upgradable to remote ID.

SO.... I agree.... a few/several more months, besides the current models are very good IMO :)
The only problem I see is That Remote ID calls for, among other things like classification, Inspections and certification of, including audits of broadcast transponders facilities and manufacturing process, which the CCP - Chinese communist party would never allow. FCC approved frequency & ANSI serial number identification. Which no manufacturer has of yet been approved (18 month time frame after posting of approved mfg's listed in the Federal Register & posted in the drone zone when approved).
We should expect such broadcast transponder to be small enough to fit the likes of a Mavic 2 at the very least.
The Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced lacks Radiometric capabilities ($6,200 USD)
And although it's listed as 640 / 30 hertz one can't help if their going the same route as Autel and using a Boson sensor (native 320) and enhancing to a 640 screen size. Since its not actually a FLIR sensor listed.
Still, there's plenty of time for this to shake out

2) Longer battery life
4) better lens quality

My two cents.
You can have your 2 cents, but hard drive space is cheap. Yes, I use 6K and 8K for the crop. The real cool benefit for me, is I have access to view 8K video on a 45 meter planetarium dome, so yes I love 6K and 8K. But the cropping is key.

I would guess DJIs focus on any potential M3 would be to fit into the EASA categories and FAA Remote ID.
So functional/regulatory changes more than anything else.
Those changes may mandate a reduction in weight or other functionality to comply.

One thing i do think is they're working on a new Smart Controller (judging by the surveys people have had about them).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair