DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Drifting

QUICKNICK

Reactions
Hello, my Mavic 3 drifts when hovering! My Mini 3 Pro and Air 2 is solid! I use the RC for the Mini 3 and Mavic 3. I have done the IMU and compass cal several times and it's no better. It's not the RC, as the Mini 3 is perfect off the same RC. The props are new and look ok. Other than changing them (which I will today) does any one have an idea. The drift is not bad, but when my other drones don't move...seems hard to believe that this expensive drone does! Thanks!!

I think mine does, too. Also, when I move forward slowly, mine first moves slightly to the left.

Try calibrating the IMU. Calibrate the compass too while you're at it, though it shouldn't have anything to do with drifting.

Try calibrating the IMU. Calibrate the compass too while you're at it, though it shouldn't have anything to do with drifting.
Calibrating those won't make any difference to hovering precision.
If there was a problem with the compass or IMU, the flyer would already know about it.

Hello, my Mavic 3 drifts when hovering! My Mini 3 Pro and Air 2 is solid! I use the RC for the Mini 3 and Mavic 3. I have done the IMU and compass cal several times and it's no better. It's not the RC, as the Mini 3 is perfect off the same RC. The props are new and look ok. Other than changing them (which I will today) does any one have an idea. The drift is not bad, but when my other drones don't move...seems hard to believe that this expensive drone does! Thanks!!
It's not possible to tell much from the simple comment that it drifts when hovering.
How much does it drift?
At what height and above what kind of surface?

Recalibrating things won't make any difference, because your compass and IMU are working normally (you'd know if they weren't).

A small amount of drift is normal.
Hovering Accuracy Range
Vertical: ±0.1 m (with Vision Positioning); ±0.5 m (with GPS Positioning)
Horizontal: ±0.3 m (with Vision Positioning); ±0.5 m (with High-Precision Positioning System)

Is yours showing more than this?

For minimum horizontal drift, you'd need good lighting and a surface with a distinct pattern/texture that VPS could work with.
With no recognisable pattern/texture VPS can't lock onto any features.

Adding to what Meta4 said, test them under identical conditions. Lighting conditions can affect this immensely.
I would add that in addition to your recalibration of the IMU and compass, calibrate the sticks as well. I did all three when my M2P began to drift slightly as you described, and the problem was solved. Since I did all three at the same time (what scientific method?!, BLAH), I cannot say what specifically solved the problem. Also, don’t forget to do the camera wheel along with the sticks when recalibrating. I have had to do this a couple of times in 100+ flight hours.

Reactions: SFC117
In addition to the textured surface comment above, You might need to recalibrate the vision sensors if you can via the DJI software on your PC as the bottom cameras perform a pivotal role in keeping the drone flying on one spot.

I noticed my Mavic 3 drifting significantly today, while trying to take a sunrise timelapse. It was at 40M altitude and a light breeze.

Are you possibly taking off too early? Also, how many satellites are you connected to?

Outside of all the mathematical mumbo jumbo, my M3 appears to hover just fine after hitting enough satellites to acquire a rth point.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan