DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 First Flight impressions

The_Gregors

Reactions
Hello all, I have been reading the reports about the “issues” with the Mavic 3 for a few weeks now and really struggled with ordering a Mavic 3, but decided to take a risk. She arrived today, and I thought I would share a very brief first flight impression for others who may be considering ordering / waiting for a rumored “S” model.

First step was to pair to the RC Pro and download .600 firmware update. This took about 20 minutes, and during this time the aircraft was powered on and communicating with GPS satellites, meaning the long GPS connection time may exist, I can’t tell. Once the firmware was up to date, I powered down, and went outside.

Power Up to “The Homepoint has been updated, please….) took 33 seconds. I had 17 Satellites at this point. First launch was amazing, the lack of high pitched prop sound is worth the price of waiting longer to get in the air, this this is so much quieter than the Mavic 2P or Air 2S. Flight dynamics are awesome, altitude gain is very fast and precise, I did notice that when you let off of the sticks the aircraft really jerks to a stop, but if you were recording video, you may not notice much. Photo quality and video quality seem to be really nice, but I only took a few test photos of the neighbors house. Explorer mode photos at 28X are useable, no expectations here.

In summary, I am very happy with the copy of the Mavic 3 I received and am glad I did not wait for something else. I think the complaints about “issues” with the Mavic 3 are real, but it is still a huge step up as a flying camera.

9/28/2021 according to AirData info about the drone.

Where did you find that in Airdata?
Under Equipment / Drones / Overview, there are several dates, Purchases, Last Flight, and Manufactured.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Suren, is the date on your drone's box?
28/9/21 seems quite 'old', any posts that I have seen mention a production date mention a date in November. It has makes me wonder if there is something to the change-in-version-of-the-GPS-chip theory.
2+2=5 and all that lol

Checked the back of my Fly More Combo box

I have November 2021, tested the drone yesterday for the first time

0DAD075E-0AFC-42F2-8AC6-6E705D619144.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Skywatcher2001
I received my M3 Friday. Only used it for photos so far and the picture quality is superb. The 28x digital zoom is very usable. Actually blows my mind the quality of the jpeg's. Cleans up beautifully in Apple photos. No reason to use Lightroom. The date is 2021/10. Takes about 1-2 minutes to get enough satellites

I received my M3 Friday. Only used it for photos so far and the picture quality is superb. The 28x digital zoom is very usable. Actually blows my mind the quality of the jpeg's. Cleans up beautifully in Apple photos. No reason to use Lightroom. The date is 2021/10. Takes about 1-2 minutes to get enough satellites
it's not a zoom.... it's a crop... a digital zoom is actually a digital crop.

Hello all, I have been reading the reports about the “issues” with the Mavic 3 for a few weeks now and really struggled with ordering a Mavic 3, but decided to take a risk. She arrived today, and I thought I would share a very brief first flight impression for others who may be considering ordering / waiting for a rumored “S” model.

First step was to pair to the RC Pro and download .600 firmware update. This took about 20 minutes, and during this time the aircraft was powered on and communicating with GPS satellites, meaning the long GPS connection time may exist, I can’t tell. Once the firmware was up to date, I powered down, and went outside.

Power Up to “The Homepoint has been updated, please….) took 33 seconds. I had 17 Satellites at this point. First launch was amazing, the lack of high pitched prop sound is worth the price of waiting longer to get in the air, this this is so much quieter than the Mavic 2P or Air 2S. Flight dynamics are awesome, altitude gain is very fast and precise, I did notice that when you let off of the sticks the aircraft really jerks to a stop, but if you were recording video, you may not notice much. Photo quality and video quality seem to be really nice, but I only took a few test photos of the neighbors house. Explorer mode photos at 28X are useable, no expectations here.

In summary, I am very happy with the copy of the Mavic 3 I received and am glad I did not wait for something else. I think the complaints about “issues” with the Mavic 3 are real, but it is still a huge step up as a flying camera.
Just to be clear, the immediate GNSS test after updating all the FW is a warm boot, as during the FW update, the GPS chip is still active, and finding its location. True test is a cold boot, say 24 hours later. However, I suspect the results will still be the same in your case. Seems like the early manufacturing dates, the "early birds," got the "good worms," fixed by the latest FW update, like mine and yours!

Thanks for referring me to the “masterclass” article. I am baffled that it states: “While only film cameras allow for optical zoom, both film cameras and digital cameras (including point-and-shoot cameras, DSLRs, mirrorless cameras, and video cameras such as camcorders) have the possibility of using digital zoom…”

Masterclass my @ss:)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett