DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 in the UK

So.. seeing as this one looks to be coming in at >£2k and won't be usable within 150m of anything in a year in Europe.. reckon DJI will sell more of less than 7 of them :) to hobbyists over here?

I think they will sell plenty of them. You are forgetting that the vast majority of people are largely ignorant of the regulations.

I think they will sell plenty of them. You are forgetting that the vast majority of people are largely ignorant of the regulations.
Pretty much, I suspect. I've just done my second CAA renewal, and publicity on the requirement to register is still woeful; I guess there's a flyer in the box about it from whoever you buy a drone off, but beyond that I've seen zip outside of forums like this one. DJI is a premium brand with a price tag to match, so most of us are pretty serious about our aircraft making it more likely we'll be on forums like this one. Outside that bubble, there are going to be a lot more people buying entry-level drones and cheap knock-offs from e-tailers that might not even be based in the UK who are blissfully ignorant of it. Plus those that do know but have not registered anyway because reasons, of course.

Besides, even at >£2k, that's not a huge amount to make back over 12 months - maybe more if the date gets extended again, which is a distinct possibility - if it's a means to an end in a business with a regular usage requirement and/or sufficiently high fees. Plus, you've got the hobbyists and others that can afford to drop that much on the latest thing every year or two, trash their current model and need a new one, or are just drawn in by the specs (which look incredibly tempting, I have to admit), so it'll all add up.

I don't think it'll sell as many as it would have done with the C-mark, but I expect DJI is smart enough to have factored that in to projections and will simply adjust their production rate accordingly whenever the launch inventory starts to run a little low. I'm sure they'll be fine.

Recent leak shows European prices have been confirmed as shown below on Twitter.
5dEQ1d1.jpg

I just wonder what the US price will convert to. Same figures as posted buy changing the currency value or do a conversion of how much that would be in US dollars?

£2,549 for the flymore - even at this price would order it today apart from the fact that in 13 months this can only be used in A3:

"there must be no uninvolved people present within the area of flight, and there must be no flight within 150m horizontally of residential, commercial, industrial or recreational areas"

Just have to be patient and hold on for the C certified version which hopefully comes out next year.

Reactions: zocalo
I’m old enough to not be embarrassed saying this is way out of my price range. But, even if it was affordable to me, I’m not sure it’d be worth it. As a casual flyer the Mini2 is now more than good enough for what I need. The Mavics are very much like cameras. The Mini2 is like a good CSC, the Air2 is a prosumer level DSLR, and the 3 is a full frame top of the range DSLR. Add to that, the uncertainty of the class labelling here in the UK, and if I do upgrade it’ll be to the next iteration of the mini.

I’m old enough to not be embarrassed saying this is way out of my price range. But, even if it was affordable to me, I’m not sure it’d be worth it. As a casual flyer the Mini2 is now more than good enough for what I need. The Mavics are very much like cameras. The Mini2 is like a good CSC, the Air2 is a prosumer level DSLR, and the 3 is a full frame top of the range DSLR. Add to that, the uncertainty of the class labelling here in the UK, and if I do upgrade it’ll be to the next iteration of the mini.
That's a pretty good analogy - I guess it follows that the Inspire and Matrice would be Medium Format and Large Format respectively. :)

Frankly, these days the prosumer cameras (including the kind with props) are more than good enough for everything the typical photographer needs. If you don't have a specific use case for the higher end models and/or cash to burn, then in all probablility you don't *really* need one and it's just Dunning-Kruger at work.

I have to admit, nice as the Mavic 3's headline features are, there are none that I truly need over what I have with my M2P. I've never had any problem with the flight time, collision avoidance, and don't use things like "follow me" mode - I mostly just position it manually, maybe loiter for the light to get into a sweet spot, take the shot(s) and fly it back to me, also manually. That makes it mostly and incremental upgrade of several features that are "nice to have" pros against that massive con of the lack of a C-mark and what that will mean in just over a year's time. That's going to do wonders for my ability wait before I leap - possibly even for the Mavic 4.

Reactions: Lastrexking
There aren't going to be any retroactive certifications. The EU simply doesn't do this, ever. They don't even retroactively approve drugs and they save lives.
Once the transition period ends, everything >250g will be flying in A3 only unless certified.
Even if the Mavic 3 somehow manages to get a C mark, it will be C2 as it is over 900g. This means you will need an A2 CofC to fly it at all.
DJI website shows the Mav3 cine is exactly 899g which means its just in the limit and not over 900g A2 limit

They could have saved weight by removing that gimmick second camera.

DJI website shows the Mav3 cine is exactly 899g which means its just in the limit and not over 900g A2 limit
It depends on what DJI declare the MTOM to be - 899g is the flight weight not the MTOM. If DJI declare the MTOM as 899 g then items like prop guards, strobe lights (night flight) etc would be prohibited

it would appear that as far as we in the UK ,and probably the EU as well ,will not be a large consumer of the new Mavic 3
not because of price ,but because it seems that it will not have the upcoming C class classification
this will severely limit its appeal, to hobby consumers in the UK ,simply because it will be severely restricted ,to where it can fly after 2022
of course this will not be an issue for professional flyers ,who have the necessary certification to allow them to fly in the specific category ,but the expense of undergoing such training ,will probably be too great for the average person ,who flies in the open category
so unless you fly for a living ,or really need the advanced optics that the Mavic three has ,then i think many mavic fans ,me included will be giving this one a miss
Ditto, I’ll be hanging onto my M2P and Air 2s and wait and see what happens. At the moment it seems a waste of money to do A2 C of C, so I’ll wait and then see what benefit having the GVC will give when they sort out the details.

Mavic 3 weight is only 895g. Same with the Classic.
It is only the Cine version that weighs 899g.
4.99g is plenty of room to add strobes, and still keep it under 900g.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones