DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mavic 3 - lost camera signal

mrjameswells

Reactions
Just picked up the Mavic 3 flew about 25 times. Everything has been great except for 2 of the flights I lost a camera signal. RC signal was good, GPS signal strong, sensors good. Distance from drone was less than 400 ft.

The first time it happened I had to fly it home manually with visual line sight as return to home wasn't available. YIKES! The second time it happened, RTH kicked in but left me wondering why I lost signal still. What could cause this? I tried to reset the controller while in flight, no luck. I shutdown the app and reopened it, no luck.

The only way to regain camera signal was to restart the drone by turning off the drone battery and turning it back on.

That can be scary. Perhaps you should contact DJI (or your retailer). It shouldn't be malfunctioning this early in the game. You might have a defective drone that needs replacement. I suggest you contact DJI support for troubleshooting. That's too expensive a drone not to have something that you can rely on 100%.

Reactions: zeusfl
Can you share the DJI Log? Upload to Airdata and share.

Reactions: waternut13134
Same for me 2 times (2 flights)
Smart controller lag, freezes, and red glitches, stopped the recording in progress. Video on the SSD show the glitches as well. Less than 500m away, flying in field.

Same here.

Done maybe 4-5 flights, all VERY conservative flights and not far at all.

3 of them camera froze. First it was laggy then just completely stopped.

Most flights is very little chance for interference.

Never felt control was compromised.

Using iPhone 13 Pro with iOS 15.2 Beta.

Last edited:
This is not good. Has to be a software issue but it could also be a hardware one?

I have three DJi Drones like the other guy said it’s way too early in the game to be losing any signal I’ve had the Mavic one for five years plus and never have lost the signal I’d pack it up call him first and tell him to send you a new one

This is really strange. The flying never reflects a loss of signal. Just change to Detour mode at minute 01m 05.3.
It went up to 485FT then RTH. This is probably a software issue.

The area you are flying is completely clear of obstruction and no reason to lose the signal. I will like to see what @Meta4 has to say.

Following.

I am still in my return window (w/ stocking fee charge). Should I return this, exchange, or contact DJI support (ship drone for repair service)?

I will try reload the firmware again with the DJI Assistant 2 first.

Well I cant reproduce the problem every time. It just randomly happens(twice so far).

Leaning toward returning this. I contacted DJI and got a run around. They asked for firmware, s/n, and software versions of phone, drone, and controller. They said they will get back to be via email within 48 hours. They couldn't give me a case #, receipt or any confirmation.

The drone seems to work 95% of the time but a frozen camera bug is a huge deal breaker for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: hiflyer201
Leaning toward returning this. I contacted DJI and got a run around. They asked for firmware, s/n, and software versions of phone, drone, and controller.
I've argued this point before..just tell them you insist on a mailer. There is no need to have to give them serial numbers etc. When you call support just know that you are dealing with half wits. I hate to be so blunt but it's the only thing that works.

Same thing happened with me. The camera would freeze up on every attempt to fly the M3. On the very first flight I reached a height of about 200ft and a distance of about 2200 ft. Then all of a sudden the screen started flashing with an all white display and eventually it just froze. I too had to resort to line of sight to bring the drone home. Very scary situation.

I contacted support and they recommended me to reset my camera settings. I tried that and got the same results.
I then reinstalled the firmware via Assistant 2. Still no better, in fact things got worse. I contact DJI support again and presented screen shots. Also I kept getting the pop-message:

Camera storage speed low. Back
up file and format storage space

Final outcome, They confirmed something was wrong with the drone and requested me to return it.
So now I'm sending the entire package back they will issue me another. I would highly recommend you do the same. You should never lose complete camera feed like this and could turn out to be hazardous. Major deal breaker.

Same thing happened with me. The camera would freeze up on every attempt to fly the M3. On the very first flight I reached a height of about 200ft and a distance of about 2200 ft. Then all of a sudden the screen started flashing with an all white display and eventually it just froze. I too had to resort to line of sight to bring the drone home. Very scary situation.

I contacted support and they recommended me to reset my camera settings. I tried that and got the same results.
I then reinstalled the firmware via Assistant 2. Still no better, in fact things got worse. I contact DJI support again and presented screen shots. Also I kept getting the pop-message:

Camera storage speed low. Back
up file and format storage space

Final outcome, They confirmed something was wrong with the drone and requested me to return it.
So now I'm sending the entire package back they will issue me another. I would highly recommend you do the same. You should never lose complete camera feed like this and could turn out to be hazardous. Major deal breaker.

I should add that this is the Mavic 3 Cine and I was using the smart controller.

Reactions: Wangodetango
Just picked up the Mavic 3 flew about 25 times. Everything has been great except for 2 of the flights I lost a camera signal. RC signal was good, GPS signal strong, sensors good. Distance from drone was less than 400 ft.

The first time it happened I had to fly it home manually with visual line sight as return to home wasn't available. YIKES! The second time it happened, RTH kicked in but left me wondering why I lost signal still. What could cause this? I tried to reset the controller while in flight, no luck. I shutdown the app and reopened it, no luck.

The only way to regain camera signal was to restart the drone by turning off the drone battery and turning it back on.
From all I've read it seems like the M3 was launched to the public before it was fully tested maybe to get it out before Christmas. I don't think I've seen anyone that didn't have problems

Hi, so i had the same issue with the signal lost. already updated the firmware and the issue is still the same. distance until 2000ft, the signal from the M3 will get lost every freaking time. so any work around from this?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS