DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro/RC Pro update issue

AlanzFPV

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
I suspect this is related to the last update, hence the title. I tried to update a couple months ago when prompted by DJI Fly on my RC Pro. The update downloaded almost completely but stopped short and gave me an error message- something like not enough storage. I gave up after looking through everything I could think of on the controller. I have been using it since without the update.
Today I flew about 3/4 of a battery and suddenly the DJI app crashed. I tried to reopen it but it would not open. The error message said “DJI Fly keeps shutting down”. I rebooted the controller and got an error message that I am almost out of storage. I searched high and low through the various folders and the only thing I could find with large storage numbers was the DJI Fly app. Everything else was either empty or just had a few files that were mb. The storage manager says I have used 31.xx GB of 32 total.
The only thing I can think of is the failed update download. Could it be that I actually have a full DJi fly app (old) PLUS the downloaded files that did not get installed? Any help is appreciated.

I suspect this is related to the last update, hence the title. I tried to update a couple months ago when prompted by DJI Fly on my RC Pro. The update downloaded almost completely but stopped short and gave me an error message- something like not enough storage. I gave up after looking through everything I could think of on the controller. I have been using it since without the update.
Today I flew about 3/4 of a battery and suddenly the DJI app crashed. I tried to reopen it but it would not open. The error message said “DJI Fly keeps shutting down”. I rebooted the controller and got an error message that I am almost out of storage. I searched high and low through the various folders and the only thing I could find with large storage numbers was the DJI Fly app. Everything else was either empty or just had a few files that were mb. The storage manager says I have used 31.xx GB of 32 total.
The only thing I can think of is the failed update download. Could it be that I actually have a full DJi fly app (old) PLUS the downloaded files that did not get installed? Any help is appreciated.
I take it the 31gb out of 32gb message refers to the microSD card in the controller?
Replace it with either a 64, or 128gb MICRO SD. The FLY app is bloat-ware and a terrible resource-hog. I had exactly the same problem with my flight screen device.

Thanks for the reply. Actually I don’t even have an sd card in the RC Pro. It’s referring to the Android system storage. Agree the Fly app is a hog

Attachments

• IMG_1588.jpeg
    IMG_1588.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1590.jpeg
    IMG_1590.jpeg
    758.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1592.jpeg
    IMG_1592.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Problem solved (user error, sort of).
I finally found the glut of files using up my storage. Media cache files. I had it set in the DJI FLY app to save 16gb. I deleted the files and changed the setting to 8gb. But…

There’s a message in that screen in the app that says “old files will be deleted when storage is full” (or something similar) so I felt safe setter to the max (16gb). I never thought this would compromise the functionality of the App due to Android system maxing out on only 32 gb storage total. (There is an “auto” setting but since I have no idea how that would manage storage I have not tried it). My takeaway is I need to keep it at 8gb which is fine. But geez when you spend this much on a controller you would think they would equip it with ample storage for the OS and everything else like Android apps and the like.

Quick summary of my storage situation that caused the app to crash while flying and would not restart. Luckily I had good LOS and flew it home manually!

DJI FLY app: 15 gb (approx)
Media cache (video files): 16gb
Other apps (Firefox etc): 0.9 gb (approx)
Total: 31.9 gb (of 32gb max for internal storage on RC Pro)

I basically had less than 100gb remaining internal storage. Apparently the FLY app needed more than this to operate.
Side note: this also explains why the previous firmware update would not finish.

Finally, I was able to successfully update the firmware after deleting video cache files to make space.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aeronkat