DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Tele lens video recording issues

beratus

Reactions
Site
www.foremediaproductions.com
Anyone experiencing wobble during tele camera video recording? No issues in wide but tele camera jumps during recording. Could it be speed of the drone? Or do I have a hardware issue?
Video link:

Just a theory , it I’d think that could be just a dip in altitude that happens with wind. Magnified by the long focal length makes it more apparent.

Reactions: beratus
Is there any reason to think that gimbal motion is responsible, rather than motion of the entire aircraft? I'm inclined to think it was a bump due to a wind gust or wind shear.

Both cameras are mounted on the same gimbal, so it's unlikely that a problem would occur on just the telephoto.

I think @jephoto is on target with the long focal length comment.

I made more tests today, it must be wind related. It’s not consistent, hit and miss. But even when the drone is stable sometimes there is a wobble in Tele. It makes you wonder if you can get a 10sec long shot.

All movements are amplified when u use a long lens. With the Inspire 1P and a 45mm lens, its much more difficult to get smooth video, it's just the physics of the configuration. Much easier to capture stable video with a wide or ultra wide lens.

This is probably the reason most drones have very wide angle lenses. It is far more difficult to design and build a flight control system that will hold a longer focal length steady enough for stable video.

Reactions: Mavikhan
Wonder if the pro cinema drones used in high production value filming have steadycam or similar stabilizers on them ?

Once the limitation are known for the tele camera, it gets more fun. The key I found is repeating the shot in Cine mode multiple times. Longer battery life helps making the flight less painful.

I have experienced the same thing with my tele on the M3. Its more apparent when ascending and especially apparent when descending, i get a bounce kind of motion sometimes.
I've also had the 'jumps' in footage when panning. Im sure wind and air movement is a factor, still very happy over all, its not like you can fault the drone its just the way these things work,, similar effects when filming with tele on a regular camera.

Most is correctable in post. But as said before above, best to get multiple shots if needed.
Here are some samples Raw and Fixed showing whats possible. Excuse the large "sample" text

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman