DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Telephoto for closeups

all good advice above but I'll take exception with the -.3 to -.7 EV comment. Your camera (most any camera) thinks a typical scene is 18% grey overall. If you take a pic of a black cat and a pic of a white cat you'll end up with two pics of a greyish cat as the camera has no idea if the cat is white or black and tries to expose for an average scene. It's true that if you overexpose a bright area there is no hope but if it's a bit too dark you can bump it up so many people shoot at -.3 to -.7 in order to ensure clouds or other bright things are not full over exposed but for a pic without clouds or other bright spots of concern there is no reason to under expose and if, for instance you had a white area of interest surrounded by a lot of dark areas you might want to use + .7. If you wanted detail in snow you might need to expose + 1.5 so there is no general rule other than don't overexpose bright areas that you need detail within. My advice would be to always shoot RAW and fire off a 5 shot AEB. You are not typically (I'd guess) concerned much with noise per se so I'd be more concerned with a reasonably fast shutter speed than keeping ISO to 100. A too-slow shutter speed will cost more sharpness than switching to ISO 200 or even 400 on a windy day.

Today I was showing off the M3 to a buddy, looking over his roof. He asked to see his gutters for any blockages- at first I did the 7x to get a tight look, but it was SO close and it was a bit windy it was hard to keep on target.

So I put it in explorer mode and just did a 2x and 4x and that was easier to handle and still- at least on screen seemed sharp as a tack.

Didn’t shoot any stills (should’ve) as his gutters were totally clean…) but I’ll do the same with my roof next couple days.

Things look better in explorer mode on your screen than they do in still images. Great way to check out your gutters. I did that this morning on my house (had to go clean some after seeing them).

I was hoping that wasn't the case, but testing continues.....:)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada