DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 unprompted change in height

Mavic3RCPro

Reactions
Hello everyone:
Today, I was practicing a few horizontal maneuvers at a low elevation (about 6 feet) with my Mavic 3.
At first, I was going slow to make sure I was doing it correctly. So far so good.
Then, as I started getting the hang of it, I started increasing the speed. The faster I went, the higher the drone would fly (20 feet above the ground!) even though I wasn't touching the left joystick AT ALL.
I repeated this several times, both slow and fast, each time with the same result.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Could this possibly be because of the Obstacle Avoidance? Is it that the faster the drone goes, the larger the bubble around the drone, and hence, it raises itself to be a certain height above the ground?
That's just my theory. Perhaps there's another explanation?
Enlighten me kindly!

Reactions: Gagey52
Hello everyone:
Today, I was practicing a few horizontal maneuvers at a low elevation (about 6 feet) with my Mavic 3.
At first, I was going slow to make sure I was doing it correctly. So far so good.
Then, as I started getting the hang of it, I started increasing the speed. The faster I went, the higher the drone would fly (20 feet above the ground!) even though I wasn't touching the left joystick AT ALL.
I repeated this several times, both slow and fast, each time with the same result.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Could this possibly be because of the Obstacle Avoidance? Is it that the faster the drone goes, the larger the bubble around the drone, and hence, it raises itself to be a certain height above the ground?
That's just my theory. Perhaps there's another explanation?
Enlighten me kindly!
My M3 does that too. I fly down a street or beach, initially at 4 feet in Normal flight mode, thus Obstacle Avoidance is active. The drone climbs higher as I increase it's speed. When I do the same in Sport Mode (no Obstacle Avoidance) it stays at the original height. But This can be dangerous depending on the terrain. Also, I noticed, in sport mode, the drone may dip lower or sometimes rise a little. But when it dips a few feet while you are already at 6 or 4 feet you're risking a crash.

Reactions: Gagey52
My M3 does that too. I fly down a street or beach, initially at 4 feet in Normal flight mode, thus Obstacle Avoidance is active. The drone climbs higher as I increase it's speed. When I do the same in Sport Mode (no Obstacle Avoidance) it stays at the original height. But This can be dangerous depending on the terrain. Also, I noticed, in sport mode, the drone may dip lower or sometimes rise a little. But when it dips a few feet while you are already at 6 or 4 feet you're risking a crash.
If you need to fly low then I suggest use the OA system but set it to brake. This way you also avoid a crash into any obstacles.

Greetings Pilots,
My Classic does the same thing. Flying in tight space (my fenced back yard) it will try and climb "to get itself out in the open" rather than fly "between" obtacles when set to bypass. This is not always desirable as others have mentioned. How do some people get a video of themselves being followed by their aircraft and it bypasses around obstacles without climbing??? Maybe setting the max altitude down low prevents them from climbing???

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll