Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Zoom Test - Osprey

zeusfl

Mavic Pilot Guru
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
youtube.com
Here is a video testing the Mavic 3 Main camera and Zoom camera up to 7X recording an Osprey in a windy evening.
The vide was recorded in normal color profile, 4K 29fps. No color correction or crop.

Enjoy !!!

I can’t wait to get RAW with the zoom camera. Same with the pictures.

AMAZING! It seems so relaxed! The shot at 1:17, and the one with the red tree at 0:10.... Those alone are almost worth the purchase of this drone. ****! I was so determined NOT to spend any more money on drones! :-D

Reactions: zeusfl
I could add image stabilizer to make the camera smooth since was windy but I decide keep everything original to show the reality. I will share the raw video in my google drive if someone is interested.

Great video! Thanks for sharing!

Great capture.

However, Ospreys are extremely territorial, you are lucky this one did not attack your drone.

Looks very good and shows that under the right conditions how good the Mavic 3 zoom capabilities really are ! Thank you for sharing Thumbswayup

Reactions: zeusfl
Great footage - I wish Osprey were easier to find around here so I could get photos of them fishing.

I noticed your video states "optical zoom" however just in case you were not aware, the drone has no optical zooming capabilities. It uses two fixed focal length lenses and any "zooming" is literally just a digital crop of the frame, reducing resolution & quality proportionate to the extent that it is cropping the image (same as if done in post).

Great footage - I wish Osprey were easier to find around here so I could get photos of them fishing.

I noticed your video states "optical zoom" however just in case you were not aware, the drone has no optical zooming capabilities. It uses two fixed focal length lenses and any "zooming" is literally just a digital crop of the frame, reducing resolution & quality proportionate to the extent that it is cropping the image (same as if done in post).
Correct.
What I mean was 1X is native optical and 7X is that native optical as well from the zoom camera.
What DJI needs to fix is that the 1X is using 4K resolution in video mode is a crop from the 5.1K capable sensor.
They should allow 5.1 native and them crop from there. The 4X looks really bad.

The 4X from the DJI Mini 2 looks better than the 4X from the Mavic 3. They need to work that algorithms.

Reactions: GtoJon
Correct.
What I mean was 1X is native optical and 7X is that native optical as well from the zoom camera.
What DJI needs to fix is that the 1X is using 4K resolution in video mode is a crop from the 5.1K capable sensor.
They should allow 5.1 native and them crop from there. The 4X looks really bad.

The 4X from the DJI Mini 2 looks better than the 4X from the Mavic 3. They need to work that algorithms.

Right, but there is no zoom camera on the drone. Both cameras have a fixed focal length lens. The main camera's lens is a fixed 12mm and the secondary lens is a fixed 30mm, which become an effective 24mm and 162mm respectively when adjusted for sensor size to a full frame equivalent FOV.

The reason why all the digital cropping looks horrible is because of how much data is being thrown away each time. Even if they started with 5.1K, it would be slightly better, but very quickly degrade into the realm of "terrible" again haha.

If you started with 5.1K, just a 2X crop would leave you with about ~3.5MP of resolution which is slightly better than 1080P. At 4X you would be left with around ~0.8MP instead of the ~0.5MP you would have if you started with a 4K frame, so both are pretty much just a novelty at that point anyway as you're down into standard definition 480 resolution territory at that point.

• Angry
Reactions: GtoJon
Correct. I call zoom camera but we know is not. Is just a prime lens with digital zoom. The fact is the mini 2 does better job.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin