DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Mavic 3's Zoom Lens is amazing. Seems improved since initial release. Pic of Car Lic Plate from 124ft alt, 650ft dist I think, 24x zoom

Don Testme

Reactions
Im just not sure how far the drone was from the car. Maybe some of you good photo analysis members can figure the exact distance I was. I do know I was at 124ft altitude. And the zoom was at 24x. Mavic3. I re-flew the flight in a right ( 90degree) angle triangle. I flew straight down my road ( 300ft ) (Line A) then turned right and flew over the cars position and got a diagonal measurement of 2000ft (Line C). Then I used a right angle calculator for calculating (Line B). Line B came out to 1300ft by the calculator. So, now I'm guessing I was halfway down Line B. Thus, I guess I was only about 600-650ft away from the car.
Car Lic Plate at 24x zoom 124ft alt, 1000ft dist by Mav3 - Copy.JPG
Right angle triangle calculator Right Triangle Calculator | Find a, b, c, and Angle

Last edited:
That is pretty awesome. It's strange how so many people have negative things to say about the M3. I think it is an amazing drone. This is a great example of why.

Reactions: MarkSS
That is pretty awesome. It's strange how so many people have negative things to say about the M3. I think it is an amazing drone. This is a great example of why.
I agree. Compared to the mavic 2, the Mavic 3 (in my opinion) is a much better drone. It's build, battery life, arrow dynamics, speed, 2 very good cameras combined into one. I assume future firmware updates and additional features added to the app will come forth eventually. I'd like it to have a "follow me" feature, automated flight to points of interest and grid flights. But, anyway, it's the best consumer drone they have made so far.

Reactions: MarkSS
Im just not sure how far the drone was from the car. Maybe some of you good photo analysis members can figure the exact distance I was. I do know I was at 124ft altitude. And the zoom was at 24x. Mavic3. I re-flew the flight in a right ( 90degree) angle triangle. I flew straight down my road ( 300ft ) (Line A) then turned right and flew over the cars position and got a diagonal measurement of 2000ft (Line C). Then I used a right angle calculator for calculating (Line B). Line B came out to 1300ft by the calculator. So, now I'm guessing I was halfway down Line B. Thus, I guess I was only about 600-650ft away from the car.
View attachment 156639
Right angle triangle calculator Right Triangle Calculator | Find a, b, c, and Angle
Your estimate is a little off. The camera was, as you mentioned, at 124 ft AGL, but only 270 ft (horizontally) due east of the vehicle, giving a total distance of 297 ft.

Your estimate is a little off. The camera was, as you mentioned, at 124 ft AGL, but only 270 ft (horizontally) due east of the vehicle, giving a total distance of 297 ft.
Your probably correct. You usually are. I'll try to do this type of photo again soon, but, this time, I will take ground measurements using a laser device to measure the exact distance from drone to car lic plate.

You are right. It was about 300ft on that 1st pic. Here is another at 500 ft dist and 124ft alt at 24x zoom, measured on ground level with a laser distance measuring device. This was taken at sunrise around 7:30 am eastern time (before the upcoming daylight savings time). See Attached.

The plate is still readily readable at 500ft. I tried 600ft to 700ft, I couldn't get an easily readable plate, but with a little post work most plates were readable although distorted looking.

Thanks for your input sar104.
lic plate A - Copy (2).JPG

Reactions: Xitor
View attachment 156639
Ha. This is just the thing all the Karen’s wanna see ! Wink, wink. 😁

You are right. It was about 300ft on that 1st pic. Here is another at 500 ft dist and 124ft alt at 24x zoom, measured on ground level with a laser distance measuring device. This was taken at sunrise around 7:30 am eastern time (before the upcoming daylight savings time). See Attached.

The plate is still readily readable at 500ft. I tried 600ft to 700ft, I couldn't get an easily readable plate, but with a little post work most plates were readable although distorted looking.

Thanks for your input sar104.
View attachment 156703
I should have explained in more detail where the numbers came from; the full metadata set is in the image you posted above, which included the exact location of the aircraft when that photo was taken, so the calculations were trivial.

The M3 looks like a real upgrade over the M2P (one of the platforms I use for photography), particularly because of the 4/3 sensor but also with all the other incremental improvements in performance. The additional zoom camera obviously has uses too, although it seems like a bit of an afterthought. I'd probably choose the M3 Classic for photography.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ADK Dragonfly