DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mavic 3t or 3e

seapro220

Reactions
Hello all.

I've had a Mavic 2 Pro for several years now and enjoy it. That said with several years the changes in the technological area has changed a lot and I'd like to 'up' my game a bit more and offer some services out there since people have asked for different items.

I'm in the market for another drone to be used for some survey work (towers, land, solar, real estate, etc) and know that the older Mavic 2 won't do this for me. On the fun and volunteer basis if asked, I'd like to use the thermal side for animal tracking/recovery and assistance with the local fire departments or police, etc. I know that's another 'animal' to try and help with, and would just offer if needed. Both units will do RTK, can be used with GC's and as long as you have a base station (etc) then you can get very fine information back. I haven't decided on the 'extra' equipment yet as that, along with the software side is going to another big purchase. I also realize that although both are technically designed for 2 different functions I'm hoping that someone out there has or is using these options and can shed some more experience.

If the 2 units are similarly priced then is it reasonable or preferable to get 1 over the other? At some point I'd like to get more into assisting farmers with the multisprectral side - but know that will be a different purchase at a later time. Is/are there any gotchas that I'm not aware of from watching different forums or online videos?

thanks in advance..

As an FYI I own a Mavic 3E and am very happy with it. A big problem in your analysis is "If the 2 units are priced similarly.." because they are not. Kits (from B&H) are priced $3,628 for the 3E and $5,498 for the 3T. Also, the 3T does NOT have a mechanical shutter so if you are interesting in mapping it is not the preferred solution. By the way I would love to have a 3T but can't justify it based on getting paid work in my area. Hope this helps a little.

As an FYI I own a Mavic 3E and am very happy with it. A big problem in your analysis is "If the 2 units are priced similarly.." because they are not. Kits (from B&H) are priced $3,628 for the 3E and $5,498 for the 3T. Also, the 3T does NOT have a mechanical shutter so if you are interesting in mapping it is not the preferred solution. By the way I would love to have a 3T but can't justify it based on getting paid work in my area. Hope this helps a little.
Thanks for the info.

I realize the kits can come with different packages and also that the units are about 2K different. Should have probably stated that first off. That said, instead of being in a situation - similar to you, since you mentioned it, would it be better from a functionality basis to just spend the extra 2K now and go on. From what I have read, and understand (apparently not as knowledgeable as you) the mechanical/auto shutter isn't that much of an issue with RTK and PPK for use in mapping. Those are some questions, among others that I have and hence the reasoning to start this post.

BTW - I'd love to have a spectral unit also but think that's to limited for what I'd like to start off with and am hoping that I can justify the pricing of the 3T instead of getting a 3E now and accumulating more dept. later on with multiple units since this is a fun/part-time gig. What uses do you think you'd use the 3T model for? Similar to mine?

Thanks for the clarification. Most of the mapping jobs I do the customer requires a mechanical shutter; I know you can make the electronic shutter work fine if you stop or slow down significantly when taking the pics. The use of an RTK only helps with position, not camera speed. Did a map job last week with over 2,000 images; if using an electronic shutter it would have taken a couple of hours and 5-6 battery changes. With the 3E just needed 40 minutes and one last minute change. Regarding the 3T I've had 3-4 opportunities in the past couple of years for roof inspections. Those do not come close to justifying the 3T. If I could get up to doing an inspection even once a month it might make sense (clearly I'm not a very good marketeer). Other 3T uses would be helping the locals on search/rescue. Hope this all makes sense and good luck in your selection.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluffman2