DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic active track won't move with object

Crash6882

Reactions
Ok so I can't figure out what is up with the active track. I trace a car and then hit go. The mavic will just stay in one place and turn and follow with the gimbal. The few times it has moved with the car it goes 20mph even though the speed priority is set to 49mph. I have tried it with intelligent flight mode turned off and would only go 20mph.

What am I doing wrong?

I've tried repeatedly to make activetrack work the way I would like IT to but I have largely given up absent optimum conditions such as 1) very distinctive subject from remainder of frame 2) remainder of frame around subject very similar and consistent 3) very regular lighting (subject not moving from bright light to shadows and back) 4) speed is constantly relatively slow and 5) no sudden changes in direction.

E.g. The mavic would do well when following a green tractor in a field of golden hay with no trees around.

To be fair, I recall some luck last summer using activetrack to film my boat on a lake but otherwise I too have been generally disappointed.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Ok so I can't figure out what is up with the active track. I trace a car and then hit go. The mavic will just stay in one place and turn and follow with the gimbal. The few times it has moved with the car it goes 20mph even though the speed priority is set to 49mph. I have tried it with intelligent flight mode turned off and would only go 20mph.

What am I doing wrong?
There are several different modes of active track. I think like Trace, Profile, and maybe one other. One mode doesn't follow it just turns to keep the camera on you (I can't remember exactly which does which) just swap between them until you get the one that actually follows. As far as speed, do you have obstacle avoidance off? When it's on it limits top speed to 20MPH because that is the fastest the Mavic can sence and avoid obstacles. -CF

I've tried repeatedly to make activetrack work the way I would like IT to but I have largely given up absent optimum conditions such as 1) very distinctive subject from remainder of frame 2) remainder of frame around subject very similar and consistent 3) very regular lighting (subject not moving from bright light to shadows and back) 4) speed is constantly relatively slow and 5) no sudden changes in direction.

E.g. The mavic would do well when following a green tractor in a field of golden hay with no trees around.

To be fair, I recall some luck last summer using activetrack to film my boat on a lake but otherwise I too have been generally disappointed.

Good luck.

Or a white horse on green grass!

Or a white horse on green grass!
oops
yes just posting a video didn't help much did it.
what I should have added was.
active track worked as intended even in profile.
1st leg of the track speed hit 24.3mph
2nd leg hit 26.2mph
as I try to plan to fly outbound into the wind the return was wind assisted

To put it politely DJI software "sucks" at following a vehicle. This applies to both Active Track and GPS Follow. There are many reasons for this.

DJI GO does not use dynamic altitude rather they try and use the VPS system for altitude control, at higher speeds VPS is a fail at altitude control. A proper barometer equipped device like Yuneec, Parrot, 3DR and Halo uses is far superior at high speed on trails with elevation changes. In addition VPS will only track up not down so you end up really high above the subject if you come down a mountain trail.

OA gets in the way, with over 1,000 follow flights I have only had an occasional brush on a bush or tree with my non-OA drones, I am observant. Not having OA is an advantage in high speed Follow.

DJI's GPS follow does not allow you override the flight path with GO4 so you cannot re-position the drone for framing without exiting the shot. Active Track will stop at times when you try and "fly" during the shot it can be dangerous and annoying.

Let's just say your much better off flying a DJI drone to follow a high speed vehicle. They do okay when following from behind at speeds under 20 mph but if you want to go into profile or GPS mode they fly like a drunk sailor.

This is earlier this week with my Mavic trying to get a shot:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Compare that to a Typhoon H with a baro equipped Wizard going up a steep trail, there is no comparison.

I just shot this vid with a Halo(excellent follow drone), H and Solo, my P4 shots did not make it in.

Vagasrobbi thanks for the Info. I was going to buy the typhoon h but it couldn't track objects unless the controller were in them that's y I went with mavic for active track. Now I am regretting it.

The Typhoon H can track either the Wizard Wand(which I use) or the ST16. The Wizard has a barometer built in for dynamic altitude where the ST16 does not. Halo uses a similar set up with a Track module which has an internal compass, GPS and barometer. Either can be flown without a controller, Halo uses a watch controller.

I place the ST16 on the passenger seat and use it to control the camera and frame the shot; but I fly with the Wizard which the H is following.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jageist