DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Aerial and RC Boost

Montypaks

Reactions
Hi folks,

So I need to understand how the signal system works particularly as I am about to purchase a Titan Atlas upgrade for my RC.

Blame it on my engineer mind

So we can boost the RC signal to the AC using the atlas. This ensures a more solid signal reaches the AC. But how about the signal from the AC itself? I'll assume it's a two way communication as the AC has to send telemetry data and a video stream back to the RC, the RC however, only needs to send commands to the AC.

So guess my question is how does this actually work? Boosting our RC with say an Atlas system shouldn't necessarily boost the signal the RC receives (telemetry and video signal) but I think it's (correctly) advertised as such.

Reactions: radman
It amplifies the rx signal into the RC

I've just fitted the Atlas, before video dropped out before the control, now the control signal drops out first

Reactions: diveinstructor

I've just fitted the Atlas, before video dropped out before the control, now the control signal drops out first
Same here, I got the Atlas last month and since then I have got double the signal. The Atlas is the way to go!

Yes I’m positive it enhances the signal back into the RC, just not sure how it does that seeing that that signal or transmission originates from the aircraft (video feed and telemetry).
I’m just trying to understand the magic (oops I mean physics) behind it...

Again, blame my engineering mind for wanting to understand everything I delve into!

It will amplify the signal received by the remote making it more sensitive, probably filter the signal to reduce interference and to lower the noise floor

It will amplify the signal received by the remote making it more sensitive, probably filter the signal to reduce interference and to lower the noise floor
Meaning the Mavic on its own can broadcast over a range of 58,000ft... (Top on the leader board)

Reactions: GooterFly68
58000ft = 17678meters
58000ft = 10.98miles

58000ft = 17678meters
58000ft = 10.98miles
........." "...........

That's me, speechless!

And video streaming all that way or its that distance with only RC controls and no video?

View attachment 17340
dronemods-003-png.17340

Hi HalloweenHamster,

Did you do and fit up video of the conversion? Is it a permanent conversion or can the booster be removed and only used when range flights are required?

What optical zoom do you use to keep eye line sight on the AC when flying with the booster? :)

some people do both AC & RC
Aircraft Antenna Mod

Wow... that’s crazy!

That kinda explains it tho... but if the AC can already broadcast over 10miles unmodified, then an AC antenna mod has no benefit without adding bigger batteries to increase range, which will result in an even heavier craft and eventually, you hit a point of diminishing returns.

Right?

Hi HalloweenHamster,

Did you do and fit up video of the conversion? Is it a permanent conversion or can the booster be removed and only used when range flights are required?

What optical zoom do you use to keep eye line sight on the AC when flying with the booster? :)

If you are careful you can revert it back to stock, not something you want to do over & over but the Atlas you can use without that amp, just using supplied whip antennas

Wow... that’s crazy!

That kinda explains it tho... but if the AC can already broadcast over 10miles unmodified, then an AC antenna mod has no benefit without adding bigger batteries to increase range, which will result in an even heavier craft and eventually, you hit a point of diminishing returns.

Right?

10 mile will be both AC & RC antenna modded & amplified & battery modern

Reactions: LtLightnin"
If you are careful you can revert it back to stock, not something you want to do over & over but the Atlas you can use without that amp, just using supplied whip antennas

10 mile will be both AC & RC antenna modded & amplified & battery modern

I've hit over 10 miles with stock controller and 1.5W boost mode. Others have done it with stock controller and FCC power levels. Depends on where you fly.

Just ordered my Titan Cyclone (Mavic Pro Edition) :)

You guys are bad influence!

Wow... that’s crazy!

Right?
Here is a re-tweet of a post in the leaderboard thread:

DJI doesn't report the antenna specifications, but from numerous tests I have done (read my post history) one can conclude that the bird and remote both come equipped with vertically polarized omni directional antennas most likely around 4-5 dbi gain.

If you spend $300 on an antenna for your remote, this would be foolish IMHO. There are hundreds of comparable antennas on Amazon or eBay for under $50 (albeit not customized to fit the remote with custom brackets, stickers, etc. that many folks enjoy paying for).

The phenomenon you see with stronger signal on the return flight is because the vertically polarized antennas on the bird are swept back a few degrees. You should only see the difference at max distance with one/two bars of signal left. Anything else is an artifact of something else.

Also, there is almost ZERO benefit amp'ing both antennas on the remote and/or birdside. I tested this dozens of times and and it is literally a waste of money buying a second amp for the RX port. 99% of the benefit can be achieved using the TX/RX port only. For that matter, you can completely disconnect the RX port and have NO antenna and performance is identical and I tested/verified this many times. The dual RX antenna is only beneficial in close range multipath environments like you would see in drone racing.

Lastly, all the amp and antenna mod's benefit those that do not have ideal conditions. If you are in a dense urban environment the noise floor is much higher, this is a good solution for you. If you live in a forest with trees everywhere, this is a good solution for you. If you are lucky and live in a remote area with flat land and little trees, you are probably wasting your money upgrading the radio systems on the mavic.

And you all are smoking crack talking about amp's over 4 watts. I have personally fried 2 Mavic remotes testing some 5 watt amp's from work. All radio systems have a receiver sensitivity and if you exceed this, you will brick your remote and void the warranty. Been there, done that :)

Just my $0.02

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mieciu