DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air 2 and waypoints

No idea ... but Litchi does.

I use Litchi exclusively, with all missions reaching out beyond signal range since it is permissible in my neck of the woods. Hearing that itch doesn't as yet support waypoint missions for the Mavic Air 2 got me wondering whether to get one IF Dronelink was capable of beyond signal range missions.

Your clarification is appreciated. Dronelink is way too complex and non-intuitive for my liking, but I would have considered using it as a final resort waypoint mission planner if I decided to acquire a Mavic Air2. Guess I'll remain loyal to my battle-tested old Mavic Pro1, at least until Litchi waypoints function on the Mavic Air2.

Reactions: halifax
I use Litchi exclusively, with all missions reaching out beyond signal range since it is permissible in my neck of the woods. Hearing that itch doesn't as yet support waypoint missions for the Mavic Air 2 got me wondering whether to get one IF Dronelink was capable of beyond signal range missions.

Your clarification is appreciated. Dronelink is way too complex and non-intuitive for my liking, but I would have considered using it as a final resort waypoint mission planner if I decided to acquire a Mavic Air2. Guess I'll remain loyal to my battle-tested old Mavic Pro1, at least until Litchi waypoints function on the Mavic Air2.

Well, here is the situation as I currently understand it for the Mavic Air 2, which I own.

I've seen a reply to a post here on Reddit where DJI has stated that the MA2 is hardware limited (memory, I assume) and is not capable of autonomous waypoint missions. Whether the issue is hardware or not, DJI stated that they have no plans to ever add that capability to the MA2. It is possible, of course, that the issue isn't hardware at all, but that DJI has decided not to have their consumer drones capable of flights where the operator is not always in direct control of the drone since any flight where the operator knowingly no longer has direct control of the drone is illegal in most, if not all, of the U.S. ... where government concern about Chinese drones in general runs strong. In any case, anyone who thinks the MA2 will eventually be capable of autonomous flights, where the mission will continue in the case of loss of direct radio control, is probably deluding themselves.

That leaves virtual sick control as the only option for any control software. Maven has had that capability since either late December or early January but Maven is only available so far for iOS (no Android). Dronelink (both iOS and Android) recently also added virtual stick waypoints for the MA2. Litchi so far does not, and there is some question whether or not they have any actual plans to do so, which is a shame since Litchi is simple, intuitive, and capable of programming waypoints in height-above-ground instead of just height-above-takeoff point. As you say, Dronelink is more complex and has a much steeper learning curve than either Maven or Litchi .... although Dronelink just put out a "QuickStart" tutorial that more clearly explains the basics for those who don't need all the bells and whistles of the app. I haven't gone through it yet myself, but forum feedback on it has been positive.

Maven now allows a user to import a saved mission from the Litchi mission hub in .csv format, but it currently does not retain the Litchi height-above-ground information. The Maven developer recently stated that he now plans to add height-above-ground capability directly to the Maven software, but I expect that might take him some time to do so since he will have to either license Google's Elevation.api or he will have to use some equivalent open source data (and the only one I found requires programming in Linux). As I understand it, Google requires the output from their Elevation.api to be displayed in a Google visual format such as Google Earth or Maps. Google also has a monetary charge structure for the use of the Elevation.api, but it is waived for users who don't access the .api very often. The combination of the display requirements and the cost structure is probably why Litchi uses a web browser to set up a mission, since that meets the display requirement and also distributes the use of the Elevation.api across all users instead of centralizing it such that the access cost wouldn't be waived anymore. I assume Maven will have to do the same.

The Maven developer has also said in the past that he plans to add the capability to manually fly to multiple positions (more than the four available in the DJI Fly app), and then capture each of them as waypoints (presumably with elevation data) for subsequent flights as a pre-programmed mission. I'm not sure which of the two features is next on his list, or even if he still plans to do this now that he plans to add height-above-ground directly to his app. Personally, I think the manual setup could still be useful for missions requiring precise location.

Dave this write-up is one of the most detailed and informative I have ever encountered anywhere, on the subject of autonomous drone software, and I have taken the liberty of copying it for reference going forward. I doff my hat to you, sir, for having taken the time to post these deep insights into a subject that lies at the very heart of my drone flying priorities.

It never occurred to me that US government suspicions regarding Chinese drone makers could rank high among the reasons why virtually none of DJI's new generation drones are configured to permit beyond-signal-range autonomous missions, yet harking back to recent news stories on this very subject, your informed speculation does strike me as being very plausible.

It may well turn out that DJI's Phantom series and first-generation Mavic drones will be the last to ever roll off the assembly line with the capability to venture beyond signal range on pre-programmed missions. One can only hope that Litchi remains in business so that those of us fortunate enough to live in parts of the world where drone flying regulations are less restrictive than they are in the USA and EU, can continue enjoying the magic of launching long-range autopilot missions. Once again I thank you kindly for sharing this wealth of knowledge here.

Last edited:
Dave this write-up is one of the most detailed and informative I have ever encountered anywhere, on the subject of autonomous drone software, and I have taken the liberty of copying it for reference going forward. I doff my hat to you, sir, for having taken the time to post these deep insights into a subject that lies at the very heart of my drone flying priorities.

It never occurred to me that US government suspicions regarding Chinese drone makers could rank high among the reasons why virtually none of DJI's new generation drones are configured to permit beyond-signal-range autonomous missions, yet harking back to recent news stories on this very subject, your informed speculation does strike me as being very plausible.

It may well turn out that DJI's Phantom series and first-generation Mavic drones will be the last to ever roll off the assembly line with the capability to venture beyond signal range on pre-programmed missions. One can only hope that Litchi remains in business so that those of us fortunate enough to live in parts of the world where drone flying regulations are less restrictive than they are in the USA and EU, can continue enjoying the magic of launching long-range autopilot missions. Once again I thank you kindly for sharing this wealth of knowledge here.

Thanks for the kind comments!

By the way, that's a really nice sideways flight perspective in your video! Well done.

Dave

Thanks for the kind comments!

I just had another weird (and probably stupid) thought in order to (potentially) achieve an extension of range. It should be possible, at least theoretically, to hang a WiFi extender under a secondary drone positioned between the operator and the primary drone to extend the RF signal. That secondary drone might also provide visual monitoring of the primary (further away) drone. I suspect the government in the U.S. would rule against such a setup, and it would certainly be clumsy to implement anyway ... but who knows where this stuff will take us in the future.

By the way, that's a really nice sideways flight perspective in your video! Well done.

Dave

This compliment is appreciated Dave, but truth be told, all that smooth camera panning and sidelong piloting was entirely handled by Litchi, as the entire flight was fully autonomous, during which time I was indoors seated at my computer and waiting for my phone's alarm to alert me that the drone was approaching signal range on its return leg over the forest

This freedom to program fully autonomous flights is one of the precious few advantages of residing in a Third World backwater ha ha. Conducting such a flight stateside or in the EU would most likely result in me getting slammed with a fine so huge, I'd need to mortgage my home to pay it.

It should be possible, at least theoretically, to hang a WiFi extender under a secondary drone positioned between the operator and the primary drone to extend the RF signal.

But, as DJI apparently use a coded frequency hopping system, you'd have to somehow work out how your extender would also do that.

But, as DJI apparently use a coded frequency hopping system, you'd have to somehow work out how your extender would also do that.

Agree completely. I think (not sure) that it's theoretically possible if the extender acts mostly just like a transponder, but I don't really think it would be practical. I was just doing some sloppy speculating ... ;)

Just received an iOS testflight update to Litchi beta version 2.10.0 (2920) which says it now supports waypoint mode for Mavic Mini 1 and Mavic Air 2.

Haven't had a chance to try it out. Hopefully it works! Please post your experience using Litchi and MA2 waypoints...

I'm all ears regarding this development. Please let us know if Litchi waypoint missions beyond signal range are possible, whreby GPS data is stored onboard the Mavic Air2, as is the case with the Phantoms and first generation Mavic Pro series. If the requirement no longer exists, for the Mavic Air2 to remain within signal range in order for Litchi waypoint missions to continue uninterrupted, then this is indeed Earth-shaking news.

Well, here is the situation as I currently understand it for the Mavic Air 2, which I own.

I've seen a reply to a post here on Reddit where DJI has stated that the MA2 is hardware limited (memory, I assume) and is not capable of autonomous waypoint missions. Whether the issue is hardware or not, DJI stated that they have no plans to ever add that capability to the MA2. It is possible, of course, that the issue isn't hardware at all, but that DJI has decided not to have their consumer drones capable of flights where the operator is not always in direct control of the drone since any flight where the operator knowingly no longer has direct control of the drone is illegal in most, if not all, of the U.S. ... where government concern about Chinese drones in general runs strong. In any case, anyone who thinks the MA2 will eventually be capable of autonomous flights, where the mission will continue in the case of loss of direct radio control, is probably deluding themselves.

That leaves virtual sick control as the only option for any control software. Maven has had that capability since either late December or early January but Maven is only available so far for iOS (no Android). Dronelink (both iOS and Android) recently also added virtual stick waypoints for the MA2. Litchi so far does not, and there is some question whether or not they have any actual plans to do so, which is a shame since Litchi is simple, intuitive, and capable of programming waypoints in height-above-ground instead of just height-above-takeoff point. As you say, Dronelink is more complex and has a much steeper learning curve than either Maven or Litchi .... although Dronelink just put out a "QuickStart" tutorial that more clearly explains the basics for those who don't need all the bells and whistles of the app. I haven't gone through it yet myself, but forum feedback on it has been positive.

Maven now allows a user to import a saved mission from the Litchi mission hub in .csv format, but it currently does not retain the Litchi height-above-ground information. The Maven developer recently stated that he now plans to add height-above-ground capability directly to the Maven software, but I expect that might take him some time to do so since he will have to either license Google's Elevation.api or he will have to use some equivalent open source data (and the only one I found requires programming in Linux). As I understand it, Google requires the output from their Elevation.api to be displayed in a Google visual format such as Google Earth or Maps. Google also has a monetary charge structure for the use of the Elevation.api, but it is waived for users who don't access the .api very often. The combination of the display requirements and the cost structure is probably why Litchi uses a web browser to set up a mission, since that meets the display requirement and also distributes the use of the Elevation.api across all users instead of centralizing it such that the access cost wouldn't be waived anymore. I assume Maven will have to do the same.

The Maven developer has also said in the past that he plans to add the capability to manually fly to multiple positions (more than the four available in the DJI Fly app), and then capture each of them as waypoints (presumably with elevation data) for subsequent flights as a pre-programmed mission. I'm not sure which of the two features is next on his list, or even if he still plans to do this now that he plans to add height-above-ground directly to his app. Personally, I think the manual setup could still be useful for missions requiring precise location.
Thank you for the very clear explanation. I would like to just add one thing. I now use the Maven app which as you say is iOS only on my Mavic Air 2 and litchi on my Mavic Air 1 which offers the “complete mission” because the Air 1 is wifi not occusync. I have been creating the missions in Litchi with the “above ground” option set and saving it then exporting into Maven and then altering the altitude at each waypoint as displayed in the Litchi app which takes time and is a bit of a pain but allows me to use my Air 2 on uneven ground.
the good news is that the Maven app developer has Prioritised including an “above ground” option And it is now being thoroughly tested and will be released sometime in June. He has put a small video on his website showing how it will work. Thanks for your very clear explanation in your post,

Thank you for the very clear explanation. I would like to just add one thing. I now use the Maven app which as you say is iOS only on my Mavic Air 2 and litchi on my Mavic Air 1 which offers the “complete mission” because the Air 1 is wifi not occusync. I have been creating the missions in Litchi with the “above ground” option set and saving it then exporting into Maven and then altering the altitude at each waypoint as displayed in the Litchi app which takes time and is a bit of a pain but allows me to use my Air 2 on uneven ground.
the good news is that the Maven app developer has Prioritised including an “above ground” option And it is now being thoroughly tested and will be released sometime in June. He has put a small video on his website showing how it will work. Thanks for your very clear explanation in your post,
Maven 3.8 beta with "Above Ground" option is available at this link
(100 spot available)

note: Maven offer "complete mission" with the air1 (and all other supported drones that is not mini or air2)

Please let us know if Litchi waypoint missions beyond signal range are possible, whreby GPS data is stored onboard the Mavic Air2, as is the case with the Phantoms and first generation Mavic Pro series.
That’s not possible at present (or perhaps ever) with the MA2 because the apps which provide the waypoint capability have to use the “virtual sticks” method of control as the data can’t be stored on board - the signal must be maintained to allow the app to control the drone. It’s worth remembering that fully autonomous missions out of signal range are illegal in many countries.

Reactions: AZDave
That’s not possible at present (or perhaps ever) with the MA2 because the apps which provide the waypoint capability have to use the “virtual sticks” method of control as the data can’t be stored on board - the signal must be maintained to allow the app to control the drone. It’s worth remembering that fully autonomous missions out of signal range are illegal in many countries.

True. A few weeks ago a forum member posted a reply from DJI where they said that the MA2 did not and would not have the ability to store externally generated waypoints. It's not an app issue ... it's a MA2 issue. DJI implied it was a hardware issue, and it might be, but I have an unfounded suspicion that DJI has decided to appease the U.S. and other governments by making their new non-enterprise (i.e., consumer) drone models incapable of violating the rules relative to continuous manual control.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji