DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 APAS

ajbvicau

Reactions
Hi, I haven't flown my drone for a while and before taking it out today did the firmware updates etc that the app recommended.
I then set out to fly in my back yard as I have done a million times before and for the want of trying cant work out why the APAS is not working like it did before.
Previously if I approached a tree or the fence or the back wall of my house the drone would rise and go over the obstacle - now it just sits there hovering and if I keep trying to move forward it moves very slowly to the side but never over.
APAS appears on the screen as an option before the drone connects but as soon as the drone connects it disappears.
Obstacle avoidance is set to bypass, disable sideways flight is off
I'm in either Cine or Normal mode. Not filming by to be sure set the video to 1080p and 30fps and not in any intelligent modes etc.
Ive searched the forum on APAS and can see that the APAS option is now incorporated into the Obstacle Avoidance Action but I havent found anything about any change to the going over an obstacle being removed. Has something changed to stop it from automatically elevating over the obstacle and now only move sideways?
Thanks in advance
Tony

Just adding to my original question.
Was speaking with a DJI store rep who said they would check the records to find out about the change.
I called back and was advised that DJI made the change to remove the fly UP/DOWN from the APAS because owners complained that the Mavic Air 2 does not have upward sensors and its causing it to crash into things above it.
OK, I said, then can you explain this, the drone has downward sensors but no longer goes down and more importantly, it goes sideways when it clearly does not have any side sensors so the argument to remove the upward avoidance due to no upward sensor makes no sense. I was told to connect the drone to the PC and DJI Assist and I could downgrade the firmware - I connected it but there is no option to downgrade the drone - only to refresh. I was told that I just have to get used to not having the fly above or under the obstacle.

Hmmmm seems the user manual says it should do it and it was purchased with that feature intended to be used as documented. Their upgrade has now downgraded the drone and it is no longer fit for the purpose it was purchased for.

So frustrating! They have my money and I have their lemon. Its like buying a sports car and take it in for a service and get get it back with the sports features removed because they have decided to downgrade the features.

Reactions: 1TenaciousG
So frustrating! They have my money and I have their lemon. Its like buying a sports car and take it in for a service and get get it back with the sports features removed because they have decided to downgrade the features.
A bit harsh, isn't it?
The purpose of APAS is to prevent you from crashing/losing your drone; it doesn't keep you from (manually) flying your drone around obstacles. Flying straight into a wall with the assumption that the drone will go over it is not good flight technique. Just sayin'

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada