DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Batteries, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Mine works correctly. It does not charge the one with the least charge first. It charges the one with the highest charge first. If I add another battery to the hub with batteries already on it, the charging of the battery currently being charged is momentarily suspended until all connected batteries are re-polled, and then the one closest to full charge starts charging, which may or may not be the one that was previously charging. Goal is to get you a fully charged battery as quickly as possible.
Thanks for your input. It does look like mine was faulty from new. No big deal though, as I'm always with the batteries on charge so I'll just charge separately.

My MA2 batteries are all flat. No Swelling. they have been charged 18,17,22 times and were all manufactured on May 03 2020.
1Z3PH53EA1074G
1Z3PH53EA100GD
1Z3PH53EA100ES
They all charge properly on the charger

You'll end up with every new MA2 battery on the list, as I believe they are all slightly swollen when new, which is why DJI automatically bleeds them to 96% after 24 hours and to 60% after 5 days, and hibernates them if not charged within 24 hours of depletion. They also now have metal clips on the sides and check for complete clipping before launch, because of the slight swelling, which requires more attention than a completely flat new battery, like the M2 batteries were when brand new..

They're high voltage LiPo packs, they drop down to 96% so that they are closer to 4.2v/cell, they then drop down to a storage voltage, it has nothing to do with them being swollen.The bottom of the case is bulged on some packs but the cells themselves are not, you can feel the gap between the plastic and the cells if you push on the bottom. They would swell if they were left fully charged for a long period of time.

Here are my ones:
1Z3PH54EA107LO, May 4, 15 cycles, flat, No Fail
1Z3PH4UEA105BB, April 28, 15 cycles, flat, No Fail
1Z3PH4UEA105E7, April 28, 12 cycles, flat, No Fail

Just an idea: wouldn't it make sense to add also the charging cycles the battery has had when listed in your sheet?
I am just thinking of the possibility that the (exterior) condition of the battery might change with more cycles...

AlleMan
Good idea.

BUT I am drawn to page 25 of the user manual where it states "to prevent swelling, the battery automatically discharges to 96%"
But does this mean that the user should not use batteries which have just been charged?
What should we do?

Good idea.

BUT I am drawn to page 25 of the user manual where it states "to prevent swelling, the battery automatically discharges to 96%"
But does this mean that the user should not use batteries which have just been charged?
What should we do?
The only advice I can think of, is to allow around 10 minutes when a battery finishes charging, before you use it in the drone. This gives it chance to cool down. That said, non of my batteries get even remotely warm when on charge.
I believe the battery drops to 96% after 24hrs, then down to around 60% after 5 days to protect itself.

I may be out of line here ,
But isn’t this a manufacturers task to collect data from batteries that get returned due to whatever fault the battery is suffering from , warranty claims etc .
They then pass the findings onto the company that produces the batteries .
I doubt you will have access or information like this from the mfg.
Great source of information for us to use.

They're high voltage LiPo packs, they drop down to 96% so that they are closer to 4.2v/cell, they then drop down to a storage voltage, it has nothing to do with them being swollen.The bottom of the case is bulged on some packs but the cells themselves are not, you can feel the gap between the plastic and the cells if you push on the bottom. They would swell if they were left fully charged for a long period of time.
Page 25 of the User Manual states "to prevent swelling, the battery automatically discharges to 96%" DJI knows that swelling is an issue, and quickly throttles the battery percentage to control it.

Page 25 of the User Manual states "to prevent swelling, the battery automatically discharges to 96%" DJI knows that swelling is an issue, and quickly throttles the battery percentage to control it.

I don't believe that's the case. Swelling is an issue with any LiPo battery if left fully charged for too long. It doesn't mean there's an issue with the DJI packs.

I don't believe that's the case. Swelling is an issue with any LiPo battery if left fully charged for too long. It doesn't mean there's an issue with the DJI packs.
You don't believe DJI? Trust me. DJI already has numerous documented issues with unexpected swelling of the Mavic 2 packs, and DJI is quickly throttling the MA2 packs to prevent similar issues. They would NEVER make this self-incriminating statement without a sound basis for knowing it is a problem! The nature of the Mavic battery attachments requires a flat surface without swelling. When the gas in an already swollen bottom expands further during the heat buildup in flight, the battery can pop loose, and many have! Flying at high elevations and in high ambient temperatures only exacerbates the swelling problems.

You don't believe DJI? Trust me. DJI already has numerous documented issues with unexpected swelling of the Mavic 2 packs, and DJI is quickly throttling the MA2 packs to prevent similar issues. They would NEVER make this self-incriminating statement without a sound basis for knowing it is a problem! The nature of the Mavic battery attachments requires a flat surface without swelling. When the gas in an already swollen bottom expands further during the heat buildup in flight, the battery can pop loose, and many have! Flying at high elevations and in high ambient temperatures only exacerbates the swelling problems.

I don't believe that DJI is admitting there is a problem with the packs, they're just saying that to prevent swelling they are discharged to 96%. As I've said, any LiPo battery that is left fully charged for too long will swell.

I have read some posts about Mavic Air 2 battery failures. It may be good to keep track of batteries which have not experienced any issues as well as those that have failed. If you care to participate, please post your battery's S/N, Mfg date found in Fly app (optional) and whether the battery is "OK" or has failed (reason optional). The data you provide will be added to a GSheet I have setup for you to view the latest data. This will help others in identifying potential battery issues.

Example Submission (S/N, Status, Mfg Date)
1Z3PH28EA000DQ,OK,2020-2
1Z3PH29EA006UG,OK,2020-1
1Z3PH29EA006X6,OK,2020-1

Current Listing Link - Mavic Air 2 - Battery Pass Fail

Battery S/N is located in red box or in the Fly app.

View attachment 109635
Hi Pappy, did you give up on the list?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61