DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Battery Life

In The Zone

Reactions
Does anyone have any idea how long a mavic Air 2 battery will last. About how many times can they be recharged before you should replace the battery. I have three batteries with a total of 200 flights. Also I have read that you can put the battery in hibernation mode to recondition the battery cells to prolong the life of the battery, not sure how true that is. I'm guessing the batteries are good for about 250 to 300 recharges?

Does anyone have any idea how long a mavic Air 2 battery will last. About how many times can they be recharged before you should replace the battery. I have three batteries with a total of 200 flights. Also I have read that you can put the battery in hibernation mode to recondition the battery cells to prolong the life of the battery, not sure how true that is. I'm guessing the batteries are good for about 250 to 300 recharges?

DJI warrants batteries to 200 charges or 6 months whichever occurs first. With careful maintenance and use your probably in the right ball park with figures, but they will certainly be degraded for performance at those levels...just shorter on capacity. You manually cannot put the battery into hibernation, it will do that on it's own depending on time stored and charge level. There is no reconditioning involved in hibernation mode, simply a battery self preservation mode.

In the past DJI requested users to discharge batteries down to 3.2v (or there about) to calibrate and condition the batteries after 20 or so flights for proper App readings and flight performance. They no longer recommend that due to improvements in battery logarithms improvements in firmware. However "old timers" still do so and swear by it to this day...myself included ;)

DJI warrants batteries to 200 charges or 6 months whichever occurs first. With careful maintenance and use your probably in the right ball park with figures, but they will certainly be degraded for performance at those levels...just shorter on capacity. You manually cannot put the battery into hibernation, it will do that on it's own depending on time stored and charge level. There is no reconditioning involved in hibernation mode, simply a battery self preservation mode.

In the past DJI requested users to discharge batteries down to 3.2v (or there about) to calibrate and condition the batteries after 20 or so flights for proper App readings and flight performance. They no longer recommend that due to improvements in battery logarithms improvements in firmware. However "old timers" still do so and swear by it to this day...myself included ;)
Thanks.... Oct will be 6 months each battery has been charged about 65 times. I usually check battery cell conditions before take off and halfway through the flight and they always look really good, I have no swelling of any kind and my batteries generally last 20 to 25 minutes with about 25% left I usually land my drone at 30% to 35% left I like playing it safe.

Thanks again for the info...

Hello All:

I've encountered inconsistent loss of charge in MA2 batteries stored for less than a week. After reading comments above, am wondering if they've gone into hibernation? I usually fully charge all batteries after a session of flying. Occasionally, but not always, the batteries show 3 lights (out of four) when I next check their level before another session of flying (usually within a week). This morning I noticed that and the batteries felt slightly warm (one stored in drone in the padded case and the other stored in the padded case). The warmth was subtle and could have been my imagination. A third battery that had been charged within 24 hours but not in the case was cool to the touch and showed 4 lights. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Howard Snell

I generally see some loss of charging level after 4-5 days for my new (less than a month-old) batteries that I assume is the "intelligent" discharging kicking in. I've never gone more than about a week without flying, but I'm also trying to become more diligent about leaving batteries at about 30% until they are needed again.

Hello Kyle:

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize there was intelligent discharging as a feature for the batteries, but that makes perfect sense and might explain why the two batteries felt warm.

Howard

Almost all DJI batteries are designed to auto-discharge to abut 60% after a certain number of days of not being touched.

Originally the default was 10 days but the number of days could be reduced in the app.

With the advent of the M2, the number of days could not be changed. However after the rash of swollen batteries last year, DJI added back the ability to change the discharge days for the M2, and changed the default to 5 days.

The Mini doesn't have auto-discharge.

Some batteries supposedly reset the clock if you just check the charge level without powering on, others you have to actually power on to reset the clock.

Reactions: Howard70
Hello Dan:

Thanks for the additional details - I appreciate learning the capabilities of this equipment. Out of curiosity - where do you folks find such details? I’m guessing the release notes that accompany some updates? I envy your knowlege!

Howard

The recommended drill for batteries.

1. charge them fully just before use (the night before).

2. Fly and enjoy.

3. If at the end of a flying session any batteries are below 50% - 65%, recharge them to that level NOT 100%.

4. Batteries still at full charge after the flight session ends - let them self discharge to 50-65%.

5. Repeat Steps 1-4 as needed.

Reactions: ackdrone
The recommended drill for batteries.

1. charge them fully just before use (the night before).

2. Fly and enjoy.

3. If at the end of a flying session any batteries are below 50% - 65%, recharge them to that level NOT 100%.

4. Batteries still at full charge after the flight session ends - let them self discharge to 50-65%.

5. Repeat Steps 1-4 as needed.
Outstanding information! This has puzzled me for a while and will not put into practice. If my batteries are 100% charged , removed from charger ready to go but I can’t fly for a week, what happens to the charge?

Outstanding information! This has puzzled me for a while and will not put into practice. If my batteries are 100% charged , removed from charger ready to go but I can’t fly for a week, what happens to the charge?
I disagree with Point 3. You don't have to charge them to 50% to 65% unless you are storing your drone long-term 3 or 6 months. If you fly at least once a week or two, no need to worry about charging them to 50% I would recommend not letting the battery fall below 20% at any time, my drone is always back on the ground at 30% to 40% just my opinion from what I have read.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada