DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2, bottom plate detaching but drone never crashed

TimO615

Reactions
Hi all,
This drone was bought by me brand new. I've never crashed it ( yet) but the bottom plate is coming off. I haven't pulled it apart, I'm pretty sure it'll void the warranty, but it seems like the posts that the screws fit into may be broken. The only thing I can think of is that I've started the drone a couple of times without removing the gimbal guard, stupid... I know. Would it really cause that type of damage ? I mean, that seems pretty flimsy.... any thoughts ? If those posts are broken, I'm guessing that the entire housing would need to be replaced, thus pretty much writing this new drone offIMG_4894.jpg

That is odd for sure, either the posts broke or are stripped or the screws backed out. I'd try to look closer inside the gap and maybe tighten the screws... Keep us updated plz.

Cheers!

If the 'security marking'/anti-tamper plugs on the air 2 are the same as those used on the Mavic 2 Pro you may find that there is at least one screw that should be holding that plate in place that has a plug of clear 'glup' covering its screw head. If that is still in place DO NOT displace it, doing so would likely void the warranty.
If it is still in place then I would suggest you have reason to return the drone as faulty.

It may in fact be that the screws are simply loose but since you are probably not supposed to be able to check at least one of them and since I imagine the just that one screw, properly 'home' and tightened, would prevent the gap displayed, I would suggest that there is a reasonable argument for you not being supposed to check the remainder of the screws with 'unobstructed' screw heads.
Besides, if you check the tightness of any of the other screws what is there to stop an pernickety inspector at DJI saying it was you that stripped any stripped threads or broke off any broken off posts.

Hi all,
This drone was bought by me brand new. I've never crashed it ( yet) but the bottom plate is coming off. I haven't pulled it apart, I'm pretty sure it'll void the warranty, but it seems like the posts that the screws fit into may be broken. The only thing I can think of is that I've started the drone a couple of times without removing the gimbal guard, stupid... I know. Would it really cause that type of damage ? I mean, that seems pretty flimsy.... any thoughts ? If those posts are broken, I'm guessing that the entire housing would need to be replaced, thus pretty much writing this new drone offView attachment 146665
That has happened to me before. The warranty will not be voided if the gummy glue is still inside on the the middle screws of the bottom plate. (Only one side will have it, don’t remember which). This kind of insures DJI that no one has tampered with the drone. If the gluey stuff isn’t inside the tip of the screw the drone isn’t new.

Reactions: mereflyer
How old? It’s possible the screws were stripped during manufacturing as it appears to be all of them. Factory defect could be warranty.

Reactions: TimO615
5 of the 6 screw….. points (?) are cracked. 3 are broken off completely. I don’t even know what to say about this. NEVER crashed or dropped by me, shipping damage ? This is pretty disappointing. I’m no expert, but I’d say that the screws were over tightened. Not sure where to start complaining. Was purchased at a big box store, from experience I’m pretty sure it’ll sit on their shelf for a month. I’ll email DJI, see what they say.
Thanks for your interest. I’m in Langley, BC. Basic license, working on my advanced

Attachments

• F4B6DAB4-1F73-4DD2-B053-22768952ABC6.jpeg
    F4B6DAB4-1F73-4DD2-B053-22768952ABC6.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
  • A936130B-0F3E-4A45-882D-97C5B718394C.jpeg
    A936130B-0F3E-4A45-882D-97C5B718394C.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 27518201-56BF-4EF4-8D53-334150D0BFBA.jpeg
    27518201-56BF-4EF4-8D53-334150D0BFBA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Big Box are usually very good about returns. I'd try that before DJI. You can't be the only one either way. Agree overtightened at factory (defect). Good luck.

As for the Gimbal Guard issue, fasten a 4" ribbon to that says, "Remove Before Flight"... I did and never launched again with the Guard left on... Also, since the Gimbal is the most fragile item on your drone, unfold the legs and just before turning your drone on, remove the guard. And as an after though, if you are showing your drone to anyone, put the Guard on first, Newbies like to pluck the Guard to see it move...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll