DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Car Charger - Original or 3rd Party?

dawaske

Reactions
Hello everyone!

While doing a little research on my soon to arrive Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo I discovered that, to my surprise, DJI did not include a car charger in the combo. Therefore, I now need to buy a car charger, which currently leaves me two options:

1. The original DJI Mavic Air 2 Car Charger for $59
2. Some Chinese 3rd party 3-in-1 charger from AliExpress for less than half.

What do you guys think, is the AliExpress charger even a viable alternative to the original DJI charger or will that thing damage my batteries rather sooner than later?

Cheers,
Daniel

Therefore, I now need to buy a car charger, which currently leaves me two options:
1. The original DJI Mavic Air 2 Car Charger for $59
2. Some Chinese 3rd party 3-in-1 charger from AliExpress for less than half.
You’re good with both options, but many forum members use that Yx (YMCA!?) brand, including me, with favorable reviews. They’ve made AC and DC chargers for the Mavic series for awhile now, and the lower price helps, too.

You pay DJI the big bucks for smart batteries that control their own charge rates. The DC-DC adapter needed for car charging is dead simple. Even a $10 price point allows for a healthy profit margin.

with favorable reviews. They’ve made AC and DC chargers for the Mavic series for awhile now
Yeah I saw they also make similar chargers for the Mavic Air 1 and the Mavic 2. However, especially with the Mavic 2 version some of the reviewers on Amazon say the charger is becoming very hot during operation (which is kind of understandable considering the power output), smells burnt and breaks quite quickly. As for the MA1 version, here reviewers mention quality issues with the connector (bent pins short circuiting batteries, lose fit, no fit at all). Have you experienced any of those issues?

I got one of these but not tried it yet.
Any chance you could test it quickly in the coming days?

Last edited:
Yeah I saw they also make similar chargers for the Mavic Air 1 and the Mavic 2. However, especially with the Mavic 2 version some of the reviewers on Amazon say the charger is becoming very hot during operation (which is kind of understandable considering the power output), smells burnt and breaks quite quickly. As for the MA1 version, here reviewers mention quality issues with the connector (bent pins short circuiting batteries, lose fit, no fit at all). Have you experienced any of those issues?

Any chance you could test it quickly in the coming days?

Weather being well I will be out on weds / thurs this week to test it.

Reactions: crosswired
What would the appropriate wattage inverter be? And could you still use the 3 battery bank DJI charger. I assume it charges the batteries one at a time?

My DJI Air 2 car charger arrived as an after order. I did not even consider a third party option. Maybe it cost more from DJI but I simply opted to stay original. My Air 2 is a fantastic piece of hi-tech kit for which I am happy to keep its accessories as the same brand, especially where power units for the DJI smart batteries are concerned. I would not risk an expensive drone for a few dollars. After market spares work in high end cars, too, but do you want them in your Ferrari, BMW, Audi, Porsche, ......? Each to their own. ????

I would not risk an expensive drone for a few dollars.

Me neither, which is why I'm trying to figure out whether I should go original or 3rd party. On the other hand, if those batteries really are intelligent they should not let a faulty charger do any damage to them right? In any case, I'll definitely wait for @DazTay's test before deciding.

Reactions: basyok
What would the appropriate wattage inverter be? And could you still use the 3 battery bank DJI charger. I assume it charges the batteries one at a time?

The charger's output power is 38W max. Assuming some inverting loss of efficiency, it seems like a100W inverter would be sufficient.

My question for the car charger is, do they step up the output voltage and maintain the charging amperage when the input voltage drops below 13.2V. So if I turn off the car's engine and the battery voltage is 12.3V, will these car chargers step up the output charging voltage/amperage to maintain the 13.2V and 2.5A?

Amazon has a car charger at a lower price than a DJI one. But since I have four expensive DJI batteries and a controller - I didn’t want to risk using one not from DJI.

If you use the 3-battery strip that comes with the combo package only one battery is actually charged at a time and my measurement of the charge rate is about 35W-40W for the battery and 15W-20W for the remote. Assuming the higher values for both that would be about 60W. Now, the power factor for the DJI charger is not very high, only about 0.55, so the AC power needed could be closer to 110W though it will likely be less than 100W. So, an inverter of 125W or more will be fine though it would be desirable to use a true sign wave inverter over the really cheap stuff out there.

Brian

My 2C$ worth is go for real DJI charger. Why risk Your $100 batter, car electrical system or maybe fire! Also, think warranty issues.

The fact that DJI all of a sudden is not even including a car charger in the Fly More Combo anymore is really annoying I gotta say...

The fact that DJI all of a sudden is not even including a car charger in the Fly More Combo anymore is really annoying I gotta say...
Agreed. But they do have to meet a certain price so it’s easier for them to cut it out. I personally haven’t ever used a car charge because I’m never really too far from home but I do understand the need for it and might just pick one up for my bag.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13