DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 falling from the sky

In the main screen, the info for the battery is weird. The take off voltage is lower than the landing voltage after 5% depleting. I think it is battery issue...View attachment 138853
The issue with those voltages is not a real issue.
The last like of data shows false values.
The 2nd last line of data shows cell voltages approx 0.1 volts less than at the start of the flight.

Just looking at the notes and the errors , and the picture of the battery in your drone and the wide seem , leads me think the focus should be on the battery causing both the controller to disconnect and the power.

We know from flying drones in the rain without protecting the battery , that the controller sends a warning that the battery has disconnected from the controller just before the drone falls out of the sky. Check the battery for swelling or not fitting well.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain .
I thought the same thing, looking at that seam. Looks pretty wide compared to mine.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I once lost connection because my phone had died. It was high up the side of a mountain. I know my fault for not watching and for not charging phone from the remote. Fortunately the drone was well charged. Thank you rth!!!

I had exactly the same wasnt lucky enough to find mine though ended up getting 30% of a new one of garmin, my theory is battery swell and the battery popped out

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I once lost connection because my phone had died. It was high up the side of a mountain. I know my fault for not watching and for not charging phone from the remote. Fortunately the drone was well charged. Thank you rth!!!
Having the phone die, does not cause a lost connection.
You can lose the app, but you still have full connection between the drone and controller and can still bring the drone home.

Post a link to the Airdata report rather than a picture of the summary page from the report.
That will allow someone to look at the actual data, rather than guess.
It might be as simple as takeoff voltage being down due tothe motors drawing a lot of current for launching/climbing and the landing voltage being when the batteries were not under heavy load.

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones
87d716ada01cbc960e88d17ad5f8b498
I can't copy the address in one rule.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2021-05-13_[12-13-49].txt
    256 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Post a link to the Airdata report rather than a picture of the summary page from the report.
That will allow someone to look at the actual data, rather than guess.
It might be as simple as takeoff voltage being down due tothe motors drawing a lot of current for launching/climbing and the landing voltage being when the batteries were not under heavy load.
Thought that the file was readable instead of a picture.
Just posted a link more below this thread.
Sorry for the inconvenience!
And most of all: thanks for all your support.

Have you noticed swelling of the battery recently ? Sounds to meclike powerless, potentially by an older battery that swells and contact points disconnect.

Thought that the file was readable instead of a picture.
Just posted a link more below this thread.
Sorry for the inconvenience!
And most of all: thanks for all your support.
It was another member in post #10 who supplied only a picture of one page from their Airdata report.
Your flight data was able to be read from what you supplied originally.

Have you noticed swelling of the battery recently ? Sounds to meclike powerless, potentially by an older battery that swells and contact points disconnect.
All three bateries have the same age and were in good condition
I load all three a few hours before a flight.
Discharge or charge after each flight to 50%.
The "wider" battery is imo a result from falling on its back. The same for the crack on top is his battery.

@Heijst when was the last time you have charged the battery before the catastrophic flight? The self discharge feature of the DJI battery could have kicked in and sapped some juice. When this occurs the displayed battery % on your phone remains at higher levels than the battery is actually at, which can cause situations where battery % is 20%. But i reality the battery is on the verge of the low voltage cutoff. The low voltage cutoff occurs if one of the batteries cells reaches 3.0V, when this happens all power is instantly cut and the drone drops like a rock. Similar to what occurred in your situation.

@Heijst when was the last time you have charged the battery before the catastrophic flight? The self discharge feature of the DJI battery could have kicked in and sapped some juice. When this occurs the displayed battery % on your phone remains at higher levels than the battery is actually at, which can cause situations where battery % is 20%. But i reality the battery is on the verge of the low voltage cutoff. The low voltage cutoff occurs if one of the batteries cells reaches 3.0V, when this happens all power is instantly cut and the drone drops like a rock. Similar to what occurred in your situation.
The recorded flight data shows that his battery was fully charged when the flight started and when things went south after only 43 seconds of flight, the cell voltages were showing 4.1 volts.
The battery charge level was not a factor in this incident.

After all the good advices (thanks again!) I think the main problem was with the battery.
I show the graph of the flight same day in the morning, and the second one of the catastrophe. To be noticed is the sudden rise of the battery temperature.
When I left home, the battery was well connected (clicked in as usual). Then I had a ride of some 10 minutes over a bad road (most of the roads here are bad) with plenty of holes.
Could it be that one of the movements in the car could have losened a little bit the battery
and that such a bad connection could be the origin of the sudden high temperature and consequently disrupting the power at all?
Thinking with me is much appreciated.

Attachments

• capture_002_28112021_093140.jpg
    capture_002_28112021_093140.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 9
  • capture_001_28112021_092833.jpg
    capture_001_28112021_092833.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 9
I show the graph of the flight same day in the morning, and the second one of the catastrophe. To be noticed is the sudden rise of the battery temperature.
There was no sudden rise in battery temperature.
The actual flight data shows the battery started the flight at 87.1 degrees F and finished at 89.6 degrees F.
There was no problem with battery temperature.

There was no sudden rise in battery temperature.
The actual flight data shows the battery started the flight at 87.1 degrees F and finished at 89.6 degrees F.
There was no problem with battery temperature.
From 89.6 to 94.8 F in 1-2 seconds is not normal, I think.
The graph is clear. It ended at 94.8 Fahrenheit.
Or do I miss something?

From 89.6 to 94.8 F in 1-2 seconds is not normal, I think.
The graph is clear. It ended at 94.8 Fahrenheit.
Or do I miss something?
The graph is clear ... but it's using a false data point and drawing a straight line between the end of actual data and the false point.
I looked at the actual data and explained what was in it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929