DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2, FC3170's Sensor Dimensions

kbellis

Reactions
The mapping software that I'm using to process the images asked for the dimensions of the sensor for the camera in the Mavic Air 2. I end up finding nothing official from DJI and slightly differing answers elsewhere.

All Things Photography indicates the sensor to be 6.35 mm x 4.94 mm and those dimensions are found (echoing?) in other places on the internet as well.

All things photography's MA2 sensor dimensions.PNG

The mission planning software that I used indicates the sensor to be 6.40 mm wide x 4.80 mm high. Again, those dimensions are found in other places; e.g., djzphoto, on the internet as well.

DL's MA2 sensor dimensions.PNG

In searching for corroborative information here at MavicPilots, I found older discussions like this one, none of which appeared to be the final word, nor should it absent DJI stamp of approval. Still, just curious, I wondered if anybody has learned what the agreed dimensions are for the FC3170's sensor?

FWIW - I ended up entering the 6.35 mm value in response to Global Mapper's request for the width, which should be adequate for this first experiment.

P2P settings (1).PNG

Sony's website indicates that the IMX586 sensor that the Air 2 uses is 8000 x 6000 effective pixels. The pixels are 0.8um x 0.8um which yields a sensor size of 6.4mm x 4.8mm

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 2.35.01 AM.png

Source: Sony.com

Sony's website indicates that the IMX586 sensor that the Air 2 uses is 8000 x 6000 effective pixels. The pixels are 0.8um x 0.8um which yields a sensor size of 6.4mm x 4.8mm

View attachment 145447

Source: Sony.com

@Saladshooter - Perfect! Thank you very much for this information - very much appreciated!

Sorry not to have thanked you sooner, but yesterday turned out to not be so good after some general photography with the MA2 followed by a couple more mapping mission tests using Dronelink's manual camera commands. After shooting for the morning, I went to charge the 3 aircraft batteries on the charging hub along with the controller only to discover 2 out of the 3 refused to take a charge. I'll post another thread on that, but for now, the short story is I returned the first MA2 Fly More Combo back to Best Buy last night in exchange for a second one. Burnt once, twice shy.

Kelly

Reactions: Saladshooter
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian