DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 First Time Set Up Help

NewbieNewbie

Reactions
Hi to all the helpful members here

I was hoping to ask for some advice now that my Mavic Air 2 finally arrived.

I went to this site ((www.hackgoapp.com) for the FCC boost (I am in a CE region), but I am not sure which of the apps to choose. They list the following apps at this site (www.hackgoapp.com):

Mod+NFZ DJI GO 4.ipa
Mod DJI FLY Downloads
Mod DJI GO 3.ipa versions

Does anybody perhaps know which app I must download for the FCC Mavic Air 2 please?
If I must download it to my laptop/pc as they state at the site, then how do I send it to my iphone ???

May I ask a last question please. I went to buy a second hand iphone 7 plus specifically for this purpose of the FCC hack, but never ever owned one before in my entire life. Do I need to open an account with iCloud for this iphone to function and get this app to work with the Mavic Air 2? Can I use a pseudonym OR is there some way around this to avoid it (I know with Android you can download an app from a third party to avoid logging into the playstore. All that the tech giants want to do is steal our info).

Thank you if anyone can please help me with this (my Mavic Air 2 is still sitting in its closed box, LOL), and it seems there is a problem with knowing which app to download at the hack site, and then how to do it with the iphone in a discrete manner.

Thank you to everyone for your help and advice. I highly appreciate it.

Best wishes

I haven't a clue how to help other than to ask, why, when this is still in its closed box, are you seeking to make such changes?
Why not fly if first and see if, as is, it meets your requirements?
My old man used to say "if it ain't broke don't fix it", in this instance I can't help but think he was correct. Probably not the answers you were looking but but there we go.

I do not think Go or Go4 app downloads will be of any use to you at all.

I usually don't "pile on" in these situations, but I have to agree with @PhiliusFoggg: I think you need to take a deep breath and just trying flying your (new) drone. You have hardware you don't know how to use (including a phone), and you are already looking to "hack" something that more experienced folks don't even mess with (and I'm convinced there's not a lot of benefit to). Time to hit the "reset" button before you destroy/lose a nearly $1000 investment.
  • download the MA2 manual (and read it front to back)
  • download DJI Assistant (to update firmware)
  • download the DJI App (on whatever existing phone you have)
Watch a couple of beginner videos (DJI website) and follow the beginner's tutorial (app).

Hi PhiliusFoggg, Robert R and StantonZ

Thank you for your contributions.

This Mavic Air 2 is not brand new. To my mind I am just worried if I set this up, then I might not be able to change it afterwards (this is how my mind thinks; I am not sure if it is via a fake GPS, but I have read about people having problems whereby it works the first time, then subsequently not. Now this was already owned by someone else. Therefore I am not sure that if I set this up now for the second time as the second owner in this CE region, if this will have an adverse impact if I try to subsequently set up the FCC boost).

If there is no possibility of this FCC boost not functioning, then I wasted my time and money (I was going to buy the mini 2, but then realized it does not have the distance capability to reach 8km and back on the farm to monitor for dangerous intruders in this part of the world). Therefore, after much discussion here, I eventually decided to spend a bit more, and buy the Mavic Air 2 for this purpose.

StantonZ you are making me a bit worried. Are you saying that a FCC boost/hack could potentially damage the drone? Or am I misunderstanding you???

Thank you for all your input. You are now 3 people. I am now really curious to hear if anyone has a different view point here??? And if they do, then can they advise on the way forward with thanks to them in advance. Or if this is the consensus? It would then mean that I wasted more than a $1000 on buying this if it cant reach around 8km away and return back to me on this vast farm to monitor for dangerous intruders (there are lots o farm murders here).

Most naturally, having the capability of FCC boost/range does not mean I will fly this as a newbie. Never, in fact I just bought a cheap short range drone to practice with first, plus I would probably only fly with a geofence of 50 metres with the Mavic Air 2, and hopefully after a few months be able to reach the range it was bought for. I was just worried that if it is set up initially without the FCC boost, then I might struggle later, therefore (to my mind), rather set it up at the start (I heard DJI does not like us to have autonomy, and every time a new hack appears, they take steps to block it, hence my idea to start off with it, and maybe just block all updates, so that the drone become the true property of the owner, without any "control" from DJI.

Maybe my ideas and thought processes are flawed (I always take an objective approach, hence I wonder if there will be a converse view to the advice I received so far).

Many thanks again to you, and everyone else here (I don't think anyone will know how many hundreds of man hours I spent on research to eventually arrive at the decision tochoose to buy this Mavic Air 2 to be able to fly away for 8km and return 8km for surveillance of the farm)

Thank you

Best wishes

Many thanks again to you, and everyone else here (I don't think anyone will know how many hundreds of man hours I spent on research to eventually arrive at the decision tochoose to buy this Mavic Air 2 to be able to fly away for 8km and return 8km for surveillance of the farm)

Thank you

Best wishes

Your on the right track the Air 2 it will get you you the distance you want to go

You most likely got side tracked in your research by thinking Hack instead of just getting the tools that pro's use to get the job done without all the worry and stress that go along with hacks.

Alien tech makes a signal booster , that would most likely would solve any of your signal issues.
You can get it for the stock controller or the Smart Controller and increase the signal without any hacks.

Hacks are best for those things that don't have any third party interventions such as Height Restrictions ect.

First thing check to see if your drone is even flight ready, make sure the horizon is straight ect.

We have been flying from inside the car a lot more often this year so getting a signal booster this year made sense and the Air 2 was the Perfect Drone for that coupled with the Alien Booster Dual 2 Attena System.

Tons of threads on the Alien and how you can power thru long distance flights .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 In the Pouring Rain and Land on Water.

Last edited:
even if you do manage to get to fly it with the FCC hack ,you still have to have the battery capacity to be able to fly 16 k there and back ,i just think you are expecting too much from a consumer grade drone ,just my personal opinion

Hi PhiliusFoggg, Robert R and StantonZ

StantonZ you are making me a bit worried. Are you saying that a FCC boost/hack could potentially damage the drone? Or am I misunderstanding you???

Thank you for all your input. You are now 3 people. I am now really curious to hear if anyone has a different view point here??? And if they do, then can they advise on the way forward with thanks to them in advance. Or if this is the consensus? It would then mean that I wasted more than a $1000 on buying this if it cant reach around 8km away and return back to me on this vast farm to monitor for dangerous intruders (there are lots o farm murders here).
Now that I understand better...
Not saying it will damage the drone, but you will need to spend at least half again as much $ as you spent on your drone on AlienTech range boosters...and I would go so far as to recommend a "modded" controller from them to avoid potential damage doing it yourself. I still believe you may have battery capacity/distance problems (as already mentioned), but it is possible to do what you propose. I'm just not sure this is the best approach/drone for your purposes (not that I don't love my MA2).
Good luck.

Unless all the reading that you have done included people flying on your farm, the range issue can’t be solved. Different terrain and surroundings will produce different results. The above suggestion to fly what you have in your area prior to any modification is the correct sequence to follow.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54