DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Gradient Filters by Freewell - Honest Review

As a photographer, here is my take.... Why bother? a graduated filter needs to be adjusted vertically depending on the subject and composition. How do you do that while the drone is flying? graduated filters can be duplicated in post, so no real need for them on the drone.

Same general feelings on CPL for drones. The CPL filter needs to be adjusted for every shot direction and composition. Just how you do that on a drone when it's flying? I have no idea.

Both Graduated and polarizing filters are pretty much useless for drones.

As a photographer, here is my take.... Why bother? a graduated filter needs to be adjusted vertically depending on the subject and composition. How do you do that while the drone is flying? graduated filters can be duplicated in post, so no real need for them on the drone.

Same general feelings on CPL for drones. The CPL filter needs to be adjusted for every shot direction and composition. Just how you do that on a drone when it's flying? I have no idea.

Thanks for the reply! I never use graduated filters on my non-flying cameras, but I often find myself doing shots on the drone where it seems like it would make sense. When you do it in post, you're getting a lot of noise in the shadows, and if you could adjust that with a filter it would be great. And honestly, I would never need to adjust/rotate it... just keep the graduation fixed vertical and a lot of my shots would benefit.

I thought along the same lines as well but my friend who has used them for video has proven to me that these assumptions are incorrect. If your darker gradient is on the very top of the frame will get you a better dynamic range and will not look out if place. You still can expose to the right but keep the ground a lot more exposed when the contract between the sky and ground is greater. If it is not the case you can expose more to the middle. The gradient is not percievable even when you tilt the gimbal and the frame is almost always more exposed towards the top. Only in topdown shots it's not but that is a very easy fix.

Reactions: psloan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy