DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 - Precision Landing

Would someone with knowledge please confirm whether or not the Mavic Air 2 has precision landing capability.

Thank you.
I have an Air 2 on order but I have seen two Youtube clips showing an Air 2 test landing “home” in very strong coastal winds and another where “home” brought the drone back over a target mat to hover at about 2 metres before it landed down gently on to the mat. The Air 2 has a white light underneath which presumably also assists with ground identification, before contact. The videos looked impressive to me - pretty precise! Cheers.

Reactions: BigWillie
Would someone with knowledge please confirm whether or not the Mavic Air 2 has precision landing capability.

Thank you.

Greetings StubbornSwiss... I am planning on a MA2 purchase in the next couple months, but I’m a bit of a YouTube junkie on drones. I’ve seen impressive RTH videos showing the amazing precision of this drone. I don’t think you will be disappointed. [emoji2]

Thanks guys.... I appreciate your responses.

I already have a MA2 on order, to add to my current Mavic Mini, and I understand the MA2 is amazing during RTH and landing, but I would still like to know if it actually has the DJI precision landing feature. Do the downward facing sensors actually record the take off point? Do you have to climb straight up to approx. 23 ft after take off to enable the feature?

These are the answers I'm looking for.

Thanks!

I ordered the MA2 on Sunday from Advexure. Sold my MA1 on Monday. So yeah... I'm patiently waiting...

I was able to get in on the Empire Drones deal - they are including a free hard case with the combo. Or they were - apparently they had so many orders they had to end the deal early!

Anyways... I guess in the next couple of weeks we can start comparing notes Thumbswayup

This may help you:
IMO, this was not a true test of the RTH capability. Only flew about 125 meters away. You really need to go at least 500 meters to really test it.

The MA1 Android version I used (haven't flown in a few months due to winter and Covid), I had to select precision landing before takeoff so it could gather the current surroundings.
Is the MA2 the same way? The videos just show a takeoff/landing without selecting precision landing. Is this in a setting now, or does it always do a precision landing?
When I used the MA1 precision landing, it never got as near as the youTube MA2 landings shown.

Off the bat there's no telling if MA2 will have precision landing. When the M2 first came out, it did not have PL until a firmware/app update 6 months later. Unlike the M1, PL was automatic on the M2, no need to check a box on takeoff. The only requirement was to take off vertically a sufficient height (about 20ft is likely sufficient), and the only evidence would be that on start of descent (or when altitude is low enough in descent), a notification would pop up saying it was engaging PL to fine tune the landing. One could easily miss the notification as it wouldn't stay on the screen long.
To complicate matters in knowing if MA2 will have PL is that it is using the Fly app rather than Go4.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scott911