DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air 2 proper coils Problem

lanh

Reactions
Hello everyone. I have bought Mavic air 2 for a day. however, one of four propellers look weird. i noted that the proper coils is lightly mess and lose. The rest look pretty neat and stable. Do you think that is ok. thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2720.PNG
    IMG_2720.PNG
    8.9 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2719.PNG
    IMG_2719.PNG
    8.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2718.PNG
    IMG_2718.PNG
    8.5 MB · Views: 29
I would eithher return it if it hasn't passed the thirty day return window yet. Or, Call tech support and see what advice they give you, if you've passed the 30 day return period.

Reactions: lanh
I would not bother with a call, a verbal description is open to interpretation and, if needed at a later time, it is difficult to prove what was said. Instead I would suggest sending photos via an email and then everything is in 'black and white'.
You say "lightly mess and lose." I assume you mean loose so, if you gently press on an untidy winding with something soft do individual coil turns move?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone. I have bought Mavic air 2 for a day. however, one of four propellers look weird. i noted that the proper coils is lightly mess and lose. The rest look pretty neat and stable. Do you think that is ok. thanks in advance.
Only way to know is to fly it. Take it outside in a nice clear wide open area. Do a take-off and let it just hover for a bit (will go up to about 4 feet off the ground). No stick input at all.

If it remains pretty stable for 5-10 minutes, then you should be okay. If there is an issue - you will see it right away, esp if one motor is not keeping up with the others. I'd suggest videoing the whole sequence just in case something goes awry - you have that to send to DJI as well.

Dealing with DJI Tech Support can be aggravating and slow / tedious - so be aware of that going in.

I do not know if untidy windings are detrimental to the function of the relevant pole but my concern with loose windings is, that over time vibration and movement will chafe the varnish insultation leading to turns being shorted out and that WOULD be detrimental.
Given the wire and coil sizes this may not be relevant i.e. the windings may be inherently too stiff to move, but this is why I suggested checking to see if any individual turns are loose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AZDave
I do not know if untidy windings are detrimental to the function of the relevant pole but my concern with loose windings is, that over time vibration and movement will chafe the varnish insultation leading to turns being shorted out and that WOULD be detrimental.
Given the wire and coil sizes this may not be relevant i.e. the windings are inherently too stiff to move, but this is why suggested checking to see if any individual turns are loose.

I agree. Based upon the picture, it doesn't look like the affected windings are loose enough to cause much wasted flux, especially since they would be wound around a core that captures most of the flux anyway. Even if the winding on that pole was slightly less efficient for power generation, it's only one pole and the drone software would compensate just like it would if there was a crosswind. I doubt you could measure the effect on the battery.

As you say, though, if the windings are indeed loose that could be a long term problem.

More bothersome to me is why DJI would let something that obvious slip by their QA checks. It's maybe not a major flaw, but it's a bit of indifference that shouldn't exist in a modern electronics company.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike