DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 RTH Issue

it has been a feature of DJI drones for a long time that some preferred settings will be altered ,after an app update, and or a firmware update ,if you can ,always make a note of your preferred settings before you do any sort of update, so you are then able to check ,and then if required reset them to what you had been used to ,and as others have said ,make checking your settings, part of your pre flight routine,that way you can avoid any unpleasant surprises in the event of an issue during your flight

Reactions: DonDayan
I've noticed updates changing settings for me.

After all the updates my Mavic Air 2 is still climbing way above the preset RTH. This is happening every time. I set the RTH to 40 meters and flying 400 meters away and press return to home,it turns and climbs to 40 meters if i was for example at 30 meters and continues to come home. But on return will slow and climb and continue to climb up to 120 meters before descending to the home point. I have attached a log file if someone could look at it and tell me whats up.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2021-01-02_[12-50-41].txt
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
After all the updates my Mavic Air 2 is still climbing way above the preset RTH.
Unfortunately the change to V1.1.2 of the Fly app included new encryption of the flight data which prevents the Phantomhelp log viewer from reading the data that might show the cause of the unusual climbing.
Airdata doesn't show enough information.

After all the updates my Mavic Air 2 is still climbing way above the preset RTH. This is happening every time. I set the RTH to 40 meters and flying 400 meters away and press return to home,it turns and climbs to 40 meters if i was for example at 30 meters and continues to come home. But on return will slow and climb and continue to climb up to 120 meters before descending to the home point. I have attached a log file if someone could look at it and tell me whats up.
At what point do you check the RTH height? Do you have the AC powered and connected to the controller and the app when you do so? If you change the RTH without the AC connected and powered, it will always revert back to the previously set RTH (when it was powered and connected) when you power it on.

At what point do you check the RTH height? Do you have the AC powered and connected to the controller and the app when you do so? If you change the RTH without the AC connected and powered, it will always revert back to the previously set RTH (when it was powered and connected) when you power it on.
The RTH height setting is stored in the drone so that it works when signal is lost.
You cannot check or change RTH height without the drone being connected.
The recorded flight data shows the RTH height was set at 40 metres or 131 ft.

The RTH height setting is stored in the drone so that it works when signal is lost.
Yes, I always leave the RTH set at 40 meters and after start and before lift off, I will slide the RTH up and down in the app and reset to 40 meters. The RTH when activated will send the MA2 way above the set RTH. I did look at the KMZ file in google earth and shows like a ladder steps up on the return and no side motion. almost like climbing over individual objects below it, even at altitudes of 40 meters. Haven't tried putting it in sport mode so the sensors will be disabled yet but will try that and repost.

Haven't tried putting it in sport mode so the sensors will be disabled yet but will try that and repost.
That wouldn't work because RTH is a separate flight mode of its own.
But climbing to avoid an obstacle would be a logical explanation for the unexpected climbing.
Are you seeing it when the RTH is going in different directions or just going one way (presumably towards the sun)?
If you see it again, you could cancel and fly off in the opposite direction and try an RTH from there to see what happens.

That wouldn't work because RTH is a separate flight mode of its own.
But climbing to avoid an obstacle would be a logical explanation for the unexpected climbing.
Are you seeing it when the RTH is going in different directions or just going one way (presumably towards the sun)?
If you see it again, you could cancel and fly off in the opposite direction and try an RTH from there to see what happens.
Yes, have tried in different directions and same result. Putting in sport mode, would this not return with sensors off when RTH is initiated and exclude sensors as a possible cause if it came back at the set RTH?

As said, no. RTH is it's own mode with its own flight characteristics. In Go there's even a separate OA setting for RTH. MA2 probably has it just as Litchi shows it has landing protection and VPS control but Fly doesn't expose it.

More things Fly is missing compared to Go.

It's been a year DJI, get with it if you plan on this app being the sole app going forward and retiring Go.

As said, no. RTH is it's own mode with its own flight characteristics. In Go there's even a separate OA setting for RTH. MA2 probably has it just as Litchi shows it has landing protection and VPS control but Fly doesn't expose it.

More things Fly is missing compared to Go.

It's been a year DJI, get with it if you plan on this app being the sole app going forward and retiring Go.
Trying not to sound stupid, but if I am in sports mode and initiate RTH, the sensors are all still active and what about the returning speed?, does that also reduce from sport mode?...Just trying to grasp what characteristics actually change when going from sport mode to RTH.

Yes. Think of this.
You have the following 4 mutually exclusive flight modes:
S,N,C/T,RTH. The first 3 you select with switch or in app, the 4th by button, soft button in app or automatically on signal loss or low battery.

Reactions: coboconk
if I am in sports mode and initiate RTH, the sensors are all still active and what about the returning speed?, does that also reduce from sport mode?.
It doesn't matter what flight mode the drone is in initially, when it switches to RTH, it changes flight mode to RTH Mode and it will use the sensors

It doesn't matter what flight mode the drone is in initially, when it switches to RTH, it changes flight mode to RTH Mode and it will use the sensors
Ok ,Thanks for that.It seems related to sensors anyway.Not sure what else I can try to narrow down the possibilities. Have been in contact with DJI, so just waiting for their response. Just want to be informed with as much info as possible when they get back to me.

That sounds like a very good idea but as they update several times a week, it is somewhat annoying to have to do a new setup every time you fly!! But thanks for your comments.
Just think of it as pre-flight checks. Like a pilot walking around his plane checking it before every take off. ????

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada