DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 self-ascended to 1.5 km due to sensor error

The mid air motor stop is certainly possible BUT whether a restart is possible may depend on how the drone falls.
I have tried starting the motors of both a MM and an M2P with the drone held at sigificant angles of tilt, my recollection is that sometimes the motors would start and sometimes they would not. I could not discern a pattern.
I have seen a YouTube of a successful midair restart with one of the bigger mavics but it is not something I would willing gamble on.
I have done it with a phantom, over the sea, but then nearly lost it as it restarts at motor idle. It took a second or so to realise why it was still falling. Full throttle halted the fall very quickly.

Just like Boeing proved with their MCAS system, single points of failure always result in catastrophic failure.
Only those un-used to the world and how it works think single points of failure are good.
10 cents for a redundant barometer on DJI's part and it wouldn't have happened.

Just saw this in the DJI forum in China. There was this warning message : "barometer initialization failure, pls restart the craft ( code 30042 )"

Possible ice on the baro system and getting worse as temps decrease in the ascent. Once again, FOG IS BAD. Low temps, (maybe?) sure wouldn't help. Hard to tell without the logs. Today I have 41ºF/5ºC with light rain and mist....grounded again.

Possible ice on the baro system and getting worse as temps decrease in the ascent. Once again, FOG IS BAD. Low temps, (maybe?) sure wouldn't help. Hard to tell without the logs. Today I have 41ºF/5ºC with light rain and mist....grounded again.
I flew 20 minutes yesterday in clear -23°F/-30°C weather. After pressing RTH my drone climbed to 1640 FT, even though the RTH altitude was set to 150 FT. ?

I flew 20 minutes yesterday in clear -23°F/-30°C weather. After pressing RTH my drone climbed to 1640 FT, even though the RTH altitude was set to 150 FT. ?
Can you post the flight log for that flight please?

That's interesting. I am assuming that you got the figure of 1640 ft from the app's screen. That means the drone knew that it had ascended beyond the RTH altitude of 150 ft. That leaves me wondering why the drone continued to go up when it was at 150 ft.