DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 with stress crack near battery latch after 3 hours flight time - anyone have this issue ?

I have a theory, the fuselage if made of plastic and the clips on both sides of the battery are made of metal. It takes a fair amount of pressure to snap the battery into place so it locks. If this is done with the legs extended it could put pressure on the joints which could cause damage where it connects to the drone body. If on the other hand if the drone body is held in one hand with support on the bottom as the battery is snapped into place it would not transfer stress to the legs. But could it cause a stress fracture to side rail immediately surrounding where the battery clips snap seeing how there is no reinforcement there? Just sayin. In my opinion it looks as if downward pressure is causing the fracture.

And I should also have stated in my original reply, I also squeeze the battery ‘locks’ so to not put pressure on the drone bay where they slide and snap in.

Eastern Command, any update ?

Hi all,

I have a Mavic Air 2 with less than 3 hours flight time that developed a stress crack from the inside near where the battery release catch sits. The drone has had NO collisions or rough landings and was flying on a hot summer day and landed with this stress crack. (i inspect before and after every flight and caught it post flight while wiping it down.
I contacted customer support and they told me to not fly and return the item and they would replace the trim ring as that is all that was wrong with my drone. There were NO flight ISSUES with the drone. NONE !

View attachment 106511

Upon receipt DJI gave me an estimate for repair of $ 81.00 claiming that the upper trim ring had to be replaced, and they even managed to find a new problem with a lower arm module that somehow had to be replaced.. See pic's

View attachment 106512

Here are closeups of their images

View attachment 106513

As you can see, the crack has now cracked even more after their careful inspection process has completed. It was clearly visible in the photo originally shown earlier that the crack was from the inside. now you can really tell can you.

Here is the leg pic shown above they they claim is damaged

View attachment 106514

As luck would have it I simply fail to see whats wrong here, looks fine to me and there was no issue with the drones flight or any other irregularity that would point them to look here. What am I looking at here anyways ? Is there something wrong with the tight tolerance here ??? I'm stumped !!

So you know I took a pile of pic's b4 I sent it out and here it is for comparison.. My original pic of that leg

View attachment 106516

Cant really see any issue here when it left for repair of the upper trim ring ..

So, for the love of all things holy, how can this happen after only 3 hours of flight, and for an 800.00 drone that is not even 60 days old (no I dont have DJI care) . How can DJI want to charge me to repair an obvious defect (no the batteries were not swollen in any way and had about 5 charges in aggregate on them)

So the tab is $ 81.00 to get my drone back from them. I have Appealed the charges (see below)

(Hi, I need some help. .

This drone has less than 3 hours of flight time, was NEVER involved in any type of collision or crash and simply cracked in flight
on a hot summer day while filming right where the battery push button release sits against the side. I fail to see any damage on the rear arm module on the right side, and I am being charged a
service fee to fix what is obviously not damaged with the rear arm module. I don't understand what the computer image pic is all about either. I simply returned it as requested by the tech to fix
the problem which was that the drone cracked up around the battery latch. I have not posted this yet on all of the drone forums, but many others are seeing the exact same issue as the battery has not swollen at all,
it is simply defective and needs to be replaced. This drone cost a fair amount of money and I should not be experiencing this kind of issue right out of the box.

The drone has no issues flying and nothing other than the upper module cover should be replaced as that is ALL THAT IS WRONG !

I was told this upper cover would be replaced for free by the orginal tech I spoke with. I simply don't understand how you have created additional issues to justify charging for repair of an obviously defective upper cover module
which did h=not hold up against the battery latch pressure in all likelihood.

Please reconsider this estimate and illuminate me as to how this turned into a pay repair.

Thank you)

Now we wait to see what happens.. Can someone from DJI fix this for me.. ? Anyone else seeing this issue ?

And finally, why is the repair amount the exact same cost as a DJI care replacement drone ?

None of this seems right for a premier brand not to acknowledge a defect and make it right .

Anyhow.. that's my thoughts..

Anyone else have this kind of issue dealing the DJI ???

Thanks for any help you can provide

P
No thank goodness, but it totally looks like a manufacture defect! 3 hours, no collisions or rough landings sounds like a DJI problem to me. I think you proceeded correctly by having it fixed, then disputing the replacement charge.
They would be able to tell if it was a result of improper flying or landing. DJI's first response would be to deny a claim and deny that its a manufacturer defect. Keep up the pressure, until thy wear down.
Good luck!

Yes, you pay now ok !! It would seem that emailing customer support is futile as it seems and probably is a BOT responding to all emails with a simplistic reply of " we are looking into it and waiting for our repair office to reply to us .. please be patient" etc.. meanwhile every 2 days you receive a repair station request for payment.. rinse, lather, repeat, endlessly until you just give up and want the drone back after 6 weeks go by and nothing !! Then, "You pay now" 81 dollars, and they return a new drone to you via UPS ground which takes a week to get to you.

So there.. draw your own conclusions

Cheers EC

P.S. I don't believe not even for 1 second that the ever REPAIR anything, and they just simply replace it with a new one and charge you 81 dollars.. That's their repair model it would seem !

JMO

to DJI

Hi,

Any updates yet on this ?

thanks

Paul
On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 9:31 PM Abbey (DJI Support) <[email protected]> wrote:
##- 请在此行以上输入您的回复 -##
Your request(#2890145)has been updated, please reply the email below.

RAWJtvMupGhGZDxbi8gxFA8j4FfvzB4t-YHybF0u7g-IdM_prj9qTHMoJqJXJZwCA53F8OyDFCvWk66Utrj0RyvlvD14Py8cXYHoeEaNyhM0OelMTHrN-yo=s0-d-e1-ft
Abbey (DJI Support)
2020年7月14日 GMT+8 上午9:31
Hi Paul,

Thank you for writing back to us. We apologize for the delay and for the inconvenience it has caused you.

We have raised the Damage Assessment dispute to our internal team and made a follow up to our internal team. We humbly ask for your patience as we wait for their feedback regarding our dispute. We will continue to monitor this for you and give you updates as soon as we receive one.

Thank you again for your time and thank you for choosing DJI. Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
Abbey
DJI Technical Support
YouTube:

DJI Tutorials

1vaGSqxGXJpzlqeA6vJZrt-PEyzY8ZDw_lSfvXd8aXn8dGavQvCjkUgx0yJXj16Ux6ooPfmN8Fyf9mlVPYxuuk1Yk4g77pDpHcUhTizrd7ENmIICEnIilfyYhYtC2YhIH6Ki3BJY_bhYj6ogIvzQGHoPFGHe4QIXhU4fJbbmq9uPeGHEhIfrMt96OjRbyya-otvBqz33-KzrP-vP2FkSXhGen9XgG7H091VAumGVE82ZABdS=s0-d-e1-ft
easterncommand
2020年7月11日 GMT+8 下午9:09
Hi,

It's been a week and I am still waiting without any kind of answer from tech service or you other than a payment reminder !!

Can we expedite this problem resolution ? I would like my drone back you know....

Taking a week to respond every email I send is simply unacceptable as we are approaching 3 weeks now without any type of resolution to the warranty defect being fixed..

If you are not going to honor your warranty, please return my drone to me ASAP !

Thank you

Paul

RAWJtvMupGhGZDxbi8gxFA8j4FfvzB4t-YHybF0u7g-IdM_prj9qTHMoJqJXJZwCA53F8OyDFCvWk66Utrj0RyvlvD14Py8cXYHoeEaNyhM0OelMTHrN-yo=s0-d-e1-ft
Abbey (DJI Support)
2020年7月8日 GMT+8 上午10:48
Hi Paul,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

A pleasant day to you.

We would like to apologize for the delayed responses as we are currently experiencing a high number of emails. We are continuously answering everyone's email as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience.

We are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. I will forward this dispute to our internal team and forward them as well the links of the pictures so they can re-evaluate the case. We will get back to you as soon a we receive any updates from them.

Should you have further queries or other concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Thank you for choosing DJI. Have a great day and keep safe always!

Best Regards,
Abbey
DJI Technical Support
YouTube:

DJI Tutorials

1vaGSqxGXJpzlqeA6vJZrt-PEyzY8ZDw_lSfvXd8aXn8dGavQvCjkUgx0yJXj16Ux6ooPfmN8Fyf9mlVPYxuuk1Yk4g77pDpHcUhTizrd7ENmIICEnIilfyYhYtC2YhIH6Ki3BJY_bhYj6ogIvzQGHoPFGHe4QIXhU4fJbbmq9uPeGHEhIfrMt96OjRbyya-otvBqz33-KzrP-vP2FkSXhGen9XgG7H091VAumGVE82ZABdS=s0-d-e1-ft
easterncommand
2020年7月5日 GMT+8 下午11:33
这是一个先前请求 #2879430“[SUSPECTED SPAM] CAS-449525...”的跟进
Hello,
I am currently having an issue with a Mavic Air 2 drone that developed a crack on the upper trim ring while in flight on a hot summer day. The crack
developed on the left side of the drone right where the metal battery tensioner metal presses against it. I caught it while wiping it down upon landing
and immediately called tech support who requested that I stop flying it and return it. Since the drone is not even 60 days old, this is not an issue that I should
be seeing as everything else on this drone is perfect (nice job DJI). The drone has less than 3 hours of total flight time, and has NEVER been involved in any kind
of crash, rough landing or rough handling. As I said it was perfect in every way. It just appeared that somehow, the pressure of the battery latch overwhelmed the trim
ring or, it was defective and simply cracked. The flight was about 28 minutes long and the temp was about 95 degrees when it occurred.
So, I thought nothing of it, and it was simply a minor problem with the drone so I shipped it back in to get it fixed. To my shock I got a proposed bill for something that should have
been covered by even the most basic warranty. In addition, the tech now stated that there was damage to the right rear leg module and landing gear. How could this possibly be ?
When the drone was packed and shipped by me, it was in perfect, pristine condition. It sat properly, all of the arms and tolerances were perfectly tight and pristine looking, and there
were NO issues with anything other than the trim ring. I took close up high res photos of the drone before and during packing as well as close ups off all of the legs, the joins and tight tolerances,
and landing gear.
I would include them here, but they are rather large and numerous, so I will post a link to them here Mavic Air 2 with stress crack near battery latch after 3 hours flight time - anyone have this issue ?
Here is the body of the drone prior to shipping.. it is pristine condition with no apparent damage
Mavic Air 2 with stress crack near battery latch after 3 hours flight time - anyone have this issue ?
A close up of the rear legs and joints
Perhaps something has happened to it during the trip back to you in shipping and it was handled roughly, causing further damage to occur to the drone after it left my posession,
but I can assure you that I packed it as well as I could. It was the fly more combo, so it originally arrived packed in the Bag inside the box, so it was a challenge to pack this drone
but I did the best I could See pics
I then packed that box into another bigger box and packed it with peanuts, so I have done all that I possibly can to prevent damage during the return.
I am sure you guys are as puzzled as me as to how this crack occurred without any apparent damage to the craft. It's a hard sell to imply that I was somehow able to
cause this defect to manifest like this on a brand new drone..
Please reconsider and simply repair the defective trim ring as requested under warranty and kindly return my drone to me while there is still some summer left in which to enjoy
this wonderful aircraft !
I could have super glued it in 2 minutes and avoided this whole nightmare in the first place and never imagined that I would get treated this way when having such a simple problem.
Thank you for any help you can provide . . .
Paul
此电邮是由 DJI Support 提供的服务。 由 Zendesk 提供 | 隐私政策
[WVGGY6-KEDD]

28 minute flight sounds like it could be a record . I wonder how many forum members have had one that long. Airdata shows that most of mine could have been 30 minutes long but a few would have maxed out in shorter time. you should send along the data...maybe someone could find the part of the flight when the drone started its minor self destruction. ..wobbly leg..
Hope you get flying soon.

28 minute flight sounds like it could be a record . I wonder how many forum members have had one that long. Airdata shows that most of mine could have been 30 minutes long but a few would have maxed out in shorter time. you should send along the data...maybe someone could find the part of the flight when the drone started its minor self destruction. ..wobbly leg..
Hope you get flying soon.
I get 28 min when in regular mode often

I get 28 min when in regular mode often

15 hours flying and 110 flights, the longest I've done has been 25 minutes. It was mixed speeds, so 28 minutes could've easily been done if I hadn't of done two large circles around a church in Sport mode and been a bit more careful. I landed with 9% battery left.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200919_232932_dji.go.v5.jpg
    Screenshot_20200919_232932_dji.go.v5.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: hiflyer201
we're
15 hours flying and 110 flights,

We're almost identical on flights with the air. 16 hours and 117 flights for me. I've looked at more than a hundred flights of mine on Airdata just to see what the expected flight time would be and it's generally around 30 minutes as DJI advertised and I'm really happy with that even though most of my flights are much shorter. I was surprised to see that several were going to peak out at around 26 minutes though.

Hi all,

I have a Mavic Air 2 with less than 3 hours flight time that developed a stress crack from the inside near where the battery release catch sits. The drone has had NO collisions or rough landings and was flying on a hot summer day and landed with this stress crack. (i inspect before and after every flight and caught it post flight while wiping it down.
I contacted customer support and they told me to not fly and return the item and they would replace the trim ring as that is all that was wrong with my drone. There were NO flight ISSUES with the drone. NONE !

View attachment 106511

Upon receipt DJI gave me an estimate for repair of $ 81.00 claiming that the upper trim ring had to be replaced, and they even managed to find a new problem with a lower arm module that somehow had to be replaced.. See pic's

View attachment 106512

Here are closeups of their images

View attachment 106513

As you can see, the crack has now cracked even more after their careful inspection process has completed. It was clearly visible in the photo originally shown earlier that the crack was from the inside. now you can really tell can you.

Here is the leg pic shown above they they claim is damaged

View attachment 106514

As luck would have it I simply fail to see whats wrong here, looks fine to me and there was no issue with the drones flight or any other irregularity that would point them to look here. What am I looking at here anyways ? Is there something wrong with the tight tolerance here ??? I'm stumped !!

So you know I took a pile of pic's b4 I sent it out and here it is for comparison.. My original pic of that leg

View attachment 106516

Cant really see any issue here when it left for repair of the upper trim ring ..

So, for the love of all things holy, how can this happen after only 3 hours of flight, and for an 800.00 drone that is not even 60 days old (no I dont have DJI care) . How can DJI want to charge me to repair an obvious defect (no the batteries were not swollen in any way and had about 5 charges in aggregate on them)

So the tab is $ 81.00 to get my drone back from them. I have Appealed the charges (see below)

(Hi, I need some help. .

This drone has less than 3 hours of flight time, was NEVER involved in any type of collision or crash and simply cracked in flight
on a hot summer day while filming right where the battery push button release sits against the side. I fail to see any damage on the rear arm module on the right side, and I am being charged a
service fee to fix what is obviously not damaged with the rear arm module. I don't understand what the computer image pic is all about either. I simply returned it as requested by the tech to fix
the problem which was that the drone cracked up around the battery latch. I have not posted this yet on all of the drone forums, but many others are seeing the exact same issue as the battery has not swollen at all,
it is simply defective and needs to be replaced. This drone cost a fair amount of money and I should not be experiencing this kind of issue right out of the box.

The drone has no issues flying and nothing other than the upper module cover should be replaced as that is ALL THAT IS WRONG !

I was told this upper cover would be replaced for free by the orginal tech I spoke with. I simply don't understand how you have created additional issues to justify charging for repair of an obviously defective upper cover module
which did h=not hold up against the battery latch pressure in all likelihood.

Please reconsider this estimate and illuminate me as to how this turned into a pay repair.

Thank you)

Now we wait to see what happens.. Can someone from DJI fix this for me.. ? Anyone else seeing this issue ?

And finally, why is the repair amount the exact same cost as a DJI care replacement drone ?

None of this seems right for a premier brand not to acknowledge a defect and make it right .

Anyhow.. that's my thoughts..

Anyone else have this kind of issue dealing the DJI ???

Thanks for any help you can provide

P

Yes, I had very similar problem with them claiming additional damage unrelated to the one that was sent in for. Unfortunately, I didn't have the extensive documentation you performed, and don't even understand their description of the supposed additional problem. Smells fishy, eh? There's a WHOLE lot more to tell about my woes regarding this DJI repair experience, but as it's as yet unresolved, I'll make a fresh post when and if that happens.

Thank you for this thread!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60