DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 with stress crack near battery latch after 3 hours flight time - anyone have this issue ?

Reactions
Hi all,

I have a Mavic Air 2 with less than 3 hours flight time that developed a stress crack from the inside near where the battery release catch sits. The drone has had NO collisions or rough landings and was flying on a hot summer day and landed with this stress crack. (i inspect before and after every flight and caught it post flight while wiping it down.
I contacted customer support and they told me to not fly and return the item and they would replace the trim ring as that is all that was wrong with my drone. There were NO flight ISSUES with the drone. NONE !

IMG_20200619_144804238.jpg

Upon receipt DJI gave me an estimate for repair of $ 81.00 claiming that the upper trim ring had to be replaced, and they even managed to find a new problem with a lower arm module that somehow had to be replaced.. See pic's

Dronedji1.JPG

Here are closeups of their images

dronedji2.JPG

As you can see, the crack has now cracked even more after their careful inspection process has completed. It was clearly visible in the photo originally shown earlier that the crack was from the inside. now you can really tell can you.

Here is the leg pic shown above they they claim is damaged

dronedji3.JPG

As luck would have it I simply fail to see whats wrong here, looks fine to me and there was no issue with the drones flight or any other irregularity that would point them to look here. What am I looking at here anyways ? Is there something wrong with the tight tolerance here ??? I'm stumped !!

So you know I took a pile of pic's b4 I sent it out and here it is for comparison.. My original pic of that leg

IMG_20200619_144659852.jpg

Cant really see any issue here when it left for repair of the upper trim ring ..

So, for the love of all things holy, how can this happen after only 3 hours of flight, and for an 800.00 drone that is not even 60 days old (no I dont have DJI care) . How can DJI want to charge me to repair an obvious defect (no the batteries were not swollen in any way and had about 5 charges in aggregate on them)

So the tab is $ 81.00 to get my drone back from them. I have Appealed the charges (see below)

(Hi, I need some help. .

This drone has less than 3 hours of flight time, was NEVER involved in any type of collision or crash and simply cracked in flight
on a hot summer day while filming right where the battery push button release sits against the side. I fail to see any damage on the rear arm module on the right side, and I am being charged a
service fee to fix what is obviously not damaged with the rear arm module. I don't understand what the computer image pic is all about either. I simply returned it as requested by the tech to fix
the problem which was that the drone cracked up around the battery latch. I have not posted this yet on all of the drone forums, but many others are seeing the exact same issue as the battery has not swollen at all,
it is simply defective and needs to be replaced. This drone cost a fair amount of money and I should not be experiencing this kind of issue right out of the box.

The drone has no issues flying and nothing other than the upper module cover should be replaced as that is ALL THAT IS WRONG !

I was told this upper cover would be replaced for free by the orginal tech I spoke with. I simply don't understand how you have created additional issues to justify charging for repair of an obviously defective upper cover module
which did h=not hold up against the battery latch pressure in all likelihood.

Please reconsider this estimate and illuminate me as to how this turned into a pay repair.

Thank you)

Now we wait to see what happens.. Can someone from DJI fix this for me.. ? Anyone else seeing this issue ?

And finally, why is the repair amount the exact same cost as a DJI care replacement drone ?

None of this seems right for a premier brand not to acknowledge a defect and make it right .

Anyhow.. that's my thoughts..

Anyone else have this kind of issue dealing the DJI ???

Thanks for any help you can provide

P

• Wow
Reactions: itsneedtokno
I have not posted this yet on all of the drone forums, but many others are seeing the exact same issue as the battery has not swollen at all,
it is simply defective and needs to be replaced.

Where did you get this information. Haven’t seen anything posted lately about a similar issue to yours. Just curious.

Hi all,

View attachment 106514

P

So at first I was not seeing it on the legs but than after taking a look a mine , i see the issue : the space at the Top of the legs compared to the gap where the arrows our pointing our showing a difference in the gap very little but they see it.

So what they have concluded is the pressure was put on the the drone causing the battery to crack and the legs to become uneven.

Its going to take several emails from you to connect back to the original tech and explain that the drone may have been damaged from shipping
and that you would like the trim replaced or you can do it yourself as trim is the cheaper part of the drone .

DJI is playing detective a little to much in this case.

Consider making the fix your self if DJI does not play nice.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain
Coal

I have not posted this yet on all of the drone forums, but many others are seeing the exact same issue as the battery has not swollen at all,
it is simply defective and needs to be replaced.

Where did you get this information. Haven’t seen anything posted lately about a similar issue to yours. Just curious.

Sorry, it was an issue that plagued a lot of DJI's Mavic series drones

This is just one example. but there are many more if you search, although interestingly this would appear to be the FIRST Mavic Air 2 where the issue is being documented and I am the lucky Pilot that it happened too.
Sorry for any confusion this may have created for anyone researching this.

So at first I was not seeing it on the legs but than after taking a look a mine , i see the issue : the space at the Top of the legs compared to the gap where the arrows our pointing our showing a difference in the gap very little but they see it.

So what they have concluded is the pressure was put on the the drone causing the battery to crack and the legs to become uneven.

Its going to take several emails from you to connect back to the original tech and explain that the drone may have been damaged from shipping
and that you would like the trim replaced or you can do it yourself as trim is the cheaper part of the drone .

DJI is playing detective a little to much in this case.

Consider making the fix your self if DJI does not play nice.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain
Coal

It's interesting that you should say that, because it was a flymore combo the drone was shipped back in bubble wrap inside the original flymore box which does not have much padding inside since the drone came packaged in the included carry bag.
I did the best I could wrapping it up as you can see in the pics and sent ONLY the drone. It then went into a bigger box with more material, but sure the drone probably got bounced around in its not so snug box cocoon !

But I tell you what, those arms were level when it left, if one drooped I surely would have noticed... right ?

I should have just super glued it myself, but why the heck should I when I paid so ( Mod Removed Language ) much and its less than 45 days old.. Jesus ! So like a fool I shipped it back.. I didn't want the dam thing loosing its battery connection in flight and dropping out of the sky like a rock and I didn't want to void what I thought was a useful warranty LOL

Live and learn folks !

Cheers

Ec

Attachments

• IMG_20200619_145357981.jpg
    IMG_20200619_145357981.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20200619_145321440.jpg
    IMG_20200619_145321440.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20200619_145314651.jpg
    IMG_20200619_145314651.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 163
  • Love
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Here is another photo of where exactly the crack develops from which is right behind the battery contacts at the edge of where the battery catch latch would sit when inserted. It was about 95 degrees when this occurred during flight and the drone had been up for about 28 minutes in direct sunlight (live in NH so its NOT Arizona sun) Notice how the crack runs back toward where the pressure has built up to relieve the stress. Directly under the battery latch !

Just my opinion.. Say, maybe some of those Boeing engineers are moonlighting at DJI :)

Cheers everyone and take care..

EC

Attachments

• IMG_20200619_144808825.jpg
    IMG_20200619_144808825.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 225
  • IMG_20200619_144804238.jpg
    IMG_20200619_144804238.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 228
Hi all,

I have a Mavic Air 2 with less than 3 hours flight time that developed a stress crack from the inside near where the battery release catch sits. The drone has had NO collisions or rough landings and was flying on a hot summer day and landed with this stress crack. (i inspect before and after every flight and caught it post flight while wiping it down.
I contacted customer support and they told me to not fly and return the item and they would replace the trim ring as that is all that was wrong with my drone. There were NO flight ISSUES with the drone. NONE !

View attachment 106511

Upon receipt DJI gave me an estimate for repair of $ 81.00 claiming that the upper trim ring had to be replaced, and they even managed to find a new problem with a lower arm module that somehow had to be replaced.. See pic's

View attachment 106512

Here are closeups of their images

View attachment 106513

As you can see, the crack has now cracked even more after their careful inspection process has completed. It was clearly visible in the photo originally shown earlier that the crack was from the inside. now you can really tell can you.

View attachment 106514

As luck would have it I simply fail to see whats wrong here, looks fine to me and there was no issue with the drones flight or any other irregularity that would point them to look here. What am I looking at here anyways ? Is there something wrong with the tight tolerance here ??? I'm stumped !!

So you know I took a pile of pic's b4 I sent it out and here it is for comparison.. My original pic of that leg

View attachment 106516

Cant really see any issue here when it left for repair of the upper trim ring ..

So, for the love of all things holy, how can this happen after only 3 hours of flight, and for an 800.00 drone that is not even 60 days old (no I dont have DJI care) . How can DJI want to charge me to repair an obvious defect (no the batteries were not swollen in any way and had about 5 charges in aggregate on them)

So the tab is $ 81.00 to get my drone back from them. I have Appealed the charges (see below)

(Hi, I need some help. .

This drone has less than 3 hours of flight time, was NEVER involved in any type of collision or crash and simply cracked in flight
on a hot summer day while filming right where the battery push button release sits against the side. I fail to see any damage on the rear arm module on the right side, and I am being charged a
service fee to fix what is obviously not damaged with the rear arm module. I don't understand what the computer image pic is all about either. I simply returned it as requested by the tech to fix
the problem which was that the drone cracked up around the battery latch. I have not posted this yet on all of the drone forums, but many others are seeing the exact same issue as the battery has not swollen at all,
it is simply defective and needs to be replaced. This drone cost a fair amount of money and I should not be experiencing this kind of issue right out of the box.

The drone has no issues flying and nothing other than the upper module cover should be replaced as that is ALL THAT IS WRONG !

I was told this upper cover would be replaced for free by the orginal tech I spoke with. I simply don't understand how you have created additional issues to justify charging for repair of an obviously defective upper cover module
which did h=not hold up against the battery latch pressure in all likelihood.

Please reconsider this estimate and illuminate me as to how this turned into a pay repair.

Thank you)

Now we wait to see what happens.. Can someone from DJI fix this for me.. ? Anyone else seeing this issue ?

And finally, why is the repair amount the exact same cost as a DJI care replacement drone ?

None of this seems right for a premier brand not to acknowledge a defect and make it right .

Anyhow.. that's my thoughts..

Anyone else have this kind of issue dealing the DJI ???

Thanks for any help you can provide

P

Somehow it looks not right what happens here...
Maybe I am blind but I don't see the issue with the right back arm.
Mine looks like this. What am I supposed to see? I can see a piece of shiny metal in the gap...

IMG_1055.jpg

Wow, how can we all look so different ?

As confucious say, "man with many watches, not know correct time"

What is it supposed to look like ? The tolerance is extremely tight for sure.

Here are photo's I took of mine as I was shipping it out to document the condition.

I cant see anything wrong here and had no idea there was a problem here with this as it flew fine and sat fine

IMG_20200619_144719309.jpgdronedji7.JPG

Anyone from DJI want to chime in on this and help us all understand ?

EC

Wow, how can we all look so different ?

As confucious say, "man with many watches, not know correct time"

What is it supposed to look like ? The tolerance is extremely tight for sure.

Here are photo's I took of mine as I was shipping it out to document the condition.

I cant see anything wrong here and had no idea there was a problem here with this as it flew fine and sat fine

View attachment 106534View attachment 106535

Anyone from DJI want to chime in on this and help us all understand ?

EC
DJI won't reply here.

Maybe on their own forums though.

Use our pictures, you have my permission on mine.

Reactions: dirkclod
View attachment 106533
Maybe the slightest most teeny of gaps

Even seeing your photo I don't feel I have a problem (because I don't have one after 15 hours flight time). To me it looks like normal, accepted and working! production tolerances with this kind of consumer products - do not get me wrong here. I think the thread opener is asked to pay for a faulty drone...

If you need to use my image too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Even seeing your photo I don't feel I have a problem (because I don't have one after 15 hours flight time). To me it looks like normal, accepted and working! production tolerances with this kind of consumer products - do not get me wrong here. I think the thread opener is asked to pay for a faulty drone...

If you need to use my image too!

Thanks guys.. Asked to pay is a side issue from what brought me here which was the stress crack/defect around the battery. So, it was either a QA failure, design defect, or a bum part that slipped through.
If it looses power due to a sudden crack near the battery connection emerging out of nowhere while flying, that could be a real bummer for obvious reasons, so just had to throw it out here in the general domain
to share my experience and let the masses decide for themselves . .

EC

Thanks guys.. Asked to pay is a side issue from what brought me here which was the stress crack/defect around the battery. So, it was either a QA failure, design defect, or a bum part that slipped through.
If it looses power due to a sudden crack near the battery connection emerging out of nowhere while flying, that could be a real bummer for obvious reasons, so just had to throw it out here in the general domain
to share my experience and let the masses decide for themselves . .

EC
Curious, when you start up, do you spread the props out or leave them together? I watched a slow motion video of what happens to the legs, and entire drone, as it spins up with the props still tucked together. The entire drone shakes violently and definitely causes stress on the legs. Then they showed, in slow motion, how it looks when you start up with props opened Up. It’s as smooth as can be.

Hi, no I always fully extend the props during my pre-flight check so as not to stress the props or motor bearings.. This drone was always run smooth as silk and never had even the slightest vibrations.

EC

Somehow it looks not right what happens here...
Maybe I am blind but I don't see the issue with the right back arm.
Mine looks like this. What am I supposed to see? I can see a piece of shiny metal in the gap...

View attachment 106532
There is a gap there for sure. Mine is snug looks like your bird slipped through QA

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky