DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stress cracks on the Mavic Air

-MavicMiniPilot

Reactions
I had recently purchased a new dji Mavic air. When I say new it has only flown 4-5 times by the previous owner according to the flight log. Once I had got the drone I have been flying it for about a month with 0 problems. But nothing can be perfect. About a week ago during a preflight inspection I noticed a small stress crack under the back folding arm. This seems to be a major design flaw as I have seen several of these on many different units of my Mavic minis. So I did what anyone would logically do in this scenario and busted out a box of matches and sealed the crack back up. I don’t understand how dji doesn’t know about this and why they don’t change the boring old designs of the Mavic series. IMG_3281.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: careless
So I did what anyone would logically do in this scenario and busted out a box of matches and sealed the crack back up. I don’t understand how dji doesn’t know about this and why they don’t change the boring old designs of the Mavic series.
How would DJI know about it?
It's not something that's happening to everyone else.
How can you be sure that it isn't a result of damage from a crash?

How would DJI know about it?
It's not something that's happening to everyone else.
How can you be sure that it isn't a result of damage from a crash?
Because I never crashed it. It’s actually quite a common problem for the Mavic series.

Because I never crashed it. It’s actually quite a common problem for the Mavic series.
If it is indeed a common design flaw in that model I am perplexed as how you didn't expect it to happen. Looks like you have a good fix for the problem. I wouldn't Blame DJI after all you purchased a used drone and all Drone models have some little flaws in them somewhere, The challenge as a Drone pilot is to I.D. and find ways ( like yours ) to correct them.

If it is indeed a common design flaw in that model I am perplexed as how you didn't expect it to happen. Looks like you have a good fix for the problem. I wouldn't Blame DJI after all you purchased a used drone and all Drone models have some little flaws in them somewhere, The challenge as a Drone pilot is to I.D. and find ways ( like yours ) to correct them.
I haven’t ever crashed the Mavic air except I am a little rough with them. I usually always fly in sport mode and that probably causes a lot of stress in that area. The best solution to this issue for me is to melt it together again.

Reactions: Cafguy
When I inspected it and I checked that spot there wasn’t a crack there? No damage to the drone and in the previous flight records don’t show a crash.
But what about the previous owner?
How can you be sure they didn't?

Not enough to cause that sort of damag

I don’t come on here often but when i do all I see is pointless threads where people passive aggressively bicker for a few days until a mod closes it. Ok you’re never buying a DJI product again? Fine, but why do you feel the need to tell everyone on a DJI drone discussion forum?

I don’t come on here often but when i do all I see is pointless threads where people passive aggressively bicker for
I don’t come on here often but when i do all I see is pointless threads where people passive aggressively bicker for a few days until a mod closes it. Ok you’re never buying a DJI product again? Fine, but why do you feel the need to tell everyone on a DJI drone discussion forum?
Can you read? Look at the first post on this thread and tell me what it is about.

• Haha
Reactions: gogorokokoko
I had recently purchased a new dji Mavic air. When I say new it has only flown 4-5 times by the previous owner according to the flight log. Once I had got the drone I have been flying it for about a month with 0 problems. But nothing can be perfect. About a week ago during a preflight inspection I noticed a small stress crack under the back folding arm. This seems to be a major design flaw as I have seen several of these on many different units of my Mavic minis. So I did what anyone would logically do in this scenario and busted out a box of matches and sealed the crack back up. I don’t understand how dji doesn’t know about this and why they don’t change the boring old designs of the Mavic series. View attachment 166316
Obviously sir you are entitled to spend or not spend your money where you see fit.

When I think of the engineering available to us in a DJI drone, the bang for the buck seems pretty high IMO. When I purchase any electronic device, I take into account that it has a lifespan be it a phone, TV, or toothbrush. Now take one that flies 400(+) feet in the air at 35mph and suffers the stresses of aerial maneuvers.
I can only imagine creating objects that fly is an extremely complex balance of aerodynamics, propulsion, fuel, structural integrity and weight. With plastics in particular, the demands are high. Rigid but not brittle. Structurally strong but light. Able to withstand heat/cold changes. Repeat stresses over time, etc.

Add to that what seems to be an uncertain flight history of this drone and this is the basis for “never buuing from DJI again?”

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13