DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air and CrystalSky Monitor

RedSoxFan42

Reactions
I am picking up bits and pieces as to whether the Mavic Air supports the CrystalSky 5.5. I understand I would need an adapter to mount it, but is it supported?
I read one account where the built-in DJI Go app is built into the monitor (not the DJI Go 4 app) and the reviewer determined it didn't work, yet others appear to be using it.
I have asked DJI support if it's supported but still waiting on their response.
If it does work what are the cons? Is the DJI Go app different than what I would run on my iPad? Any other gotchas? Right now I am using a iPad 9.7 2018 with a sun shade and non-glare screen protector, but in the Florida sun it's still hard to read and I'm always afraid I will miss some important info displayed on my screen when flying my Mavic Air. Finally, is the brighter screen worth the $500 it would cost.
Thanks.

It works great with the CrystalSky. The only drawbacks are buying a mount for the controller (PolarPro Flightdeck or MavMount are best) and the updates to the DJI Go app are slow to follow on the CrystalSky.

I have had a few app freezes with the Crystal Sky but I think that was due to the USB cable I was using. Otherwise, it’s really helped me nail exposure.

Interesting. I submitted this question to DJI Support and this is their answer:
"The CrystalSky can't be used with the Mavic Air. For other Mavic models, only the 5.5-inch screen is only compatible."
Maybe they just saved me all the money it costs for the CrystalSky. Worse case, I'll try the Hoodman Drone Aviator Hood Kit for iPad 9.7 for $70.
Since people are using it with the Air, it makes me wonder what DJI knows that we don't?

The DJI Support people are wrong. They literally released a firmware to allow Mavic Air support last year.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I use the CS 5.5 with my mavic air. Works perfectly. I've had it for a year and only had one freeze and that was while replaying a video.

Typical product support. Probably just reading some old script. I'll wait until after the weekend to challenge their response. Thanks guys. Now it just might be a case of convincing my wife..LOL.

You will enjoy it! Good luck convincing the minister of finance.

I found a 7.85” version used on KEH and when I received it, the thing looked brand new. Definitely look around, some folks have sold there’s.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Thanks all.
My last attempt to get the scoop from the horses mouth (DJI Support) here is their response.
"On the online DJI Store you will see the list of compatible devices, but I have verified with the higher support and confirms the Mavic 2 series is also compatible except for the Mavic Air. The information that I gave you yesterday came from our Knowledge Database so it should be accurate."
That's their story and their sticking to it...(maybe it's not the horses mouth after all).
Can't believe it is being widely used by Air pilots but DJI won't acknowledge it. Weird.

Their support folks are strictly going off the compatibility list but if you look through the firmware changelogs, you’ll see Mavic Air is supported.

Here is a copy of the CrystalSky release notes for the Mavic Air.
CrystalSky Release Notes
DJI CrystalSky - Created for Aerial Imaging - DJI
Copyright © 2017 DJI All Rights Reserved. 2

Date: 2018.02.09 CrystalSky Firmware: V02.05.00.00 DJI GO 3 App: V 3.1.23 DJI GO 4 App: V 4.2.4 DJI Pilot Beta: V 0.5.1

What's New?
 Added compatibility for the DJI Mavic Air and the following features specifically for the aircraft:
(1) Added APAS (Advanced Pilot Assistance Systems), which allows the Mavic Air to bypass certain obstacles automatically during flight.
(2) ActiveTrack can now identify multiple subjects, improving the visual identification stability and operation efficiency.
(3) Added new Boomerang and Asteroid QuickShots (with v01.00.0100 firmware).
(4) Gesture mode has been upgraded to SmartCapture mode, which improves identification stability and control range (with v01.00.0100 firmware).
(5) Enhanced Pano shooting with improved image stitching and effects (with v01.00.0100 firmware).
(6) Photos and videos can be stored in the Mavic Air’s internal storage.

I am picking up bits and pieces as to whether the Mavic Air supports the CrystalSky 5.5. I understand I would need an adapter to mount it, but is it supported?
I read one account where the built-in DJI Go app is built into the monitor (not the DJI Go 4 app) and the reviewer determined it didn't work, yet others appear to be using it.
I have asked DJI support if it's supported but still waiting on their response.
If it does work what are the cons? Is the DJI Go app different than what I would run on my iPad? Any other gotchas? Right now I am using a iPad 9.7 2018 with a sun shade and non-glare screen protector, but in the Florida sun it's still hard to read and I'm always afraid I will miss some important info displayed on my screen when flying my Mavic Air. Finally, is the brighter screen worth the $500 it would cost.
Thanks.

I have the CS 5.5.a nd 7.8 which I use with my mavic zoom. Both work flawlessly, very bright and clear. If you decide on Cs, I am selling my 5.5 with sunscreen and polar pro mount for $425. Excellent condition and with ship to lower 48, if interested

I have the CS 5.5.a nd 7.8 which I use with my mavic zoom. Both work flawlessly, very bright and clear. If you decide on Cs, I am selling my 5.5 with sunscreen and polar pro mount for $425. Excellent condition and with ship to lower 48, if interested
Yes I will be. Can you send me images and how old is the CS 5.5? You can email to [email protected]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+