DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air any good?

Miggy21

Reactions
I was debating on getting a mavic air for easier travel and possibly fun or flying in conditions I can't fly my MPP. Was just trying to see how everyone like theirs or if it's not even worth it

I don't have an MPP so can't compare, but I love mines. It is unbelievably convenient for travel and I don't feel that I draw too much attention to myself setting it up and flying it. I flew it on holiday in Spain without issue; just took myself over to a rock away from the crowds, took off and kept it well away from everyone. The video quality is excellent for what I need, flight time find and range is better than my Spark. I'm going to do the FCC hack to try and improve the quality rather than out right range.

I just got one a few weeks ago, I got it for the portability, I can take it all my batteries my extended antenna and the controller and stuff it into a tiny backpack. I also wanted something that was a bit more difficult to crash if it came to that. Sometimes the crash avoidance makes it a royal pain in the *** to fly around my yard because of the trees and other obstacles. But I have to say it’s worth it. I’ve had mine go out over 2 1/2 miles.
Practicality wise I don’t need to go that far but since I’ve gotten the antenna upgrade, I don’t have to worry about range, just battery life and getting it back home.

I’ve had mine for a week and a half and love it.

Flown all DJI products of friends, MPP, P4 as well as my acro quads and I’m loving this thing! MavMount v3 is legit as well

Attachments

• 4CB3291F-0D8B-4167-925C-25F3959228B5.jpeg
    4CB3291F-0D8B-4167-925C-25F3959228B5.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 91

Flown all DJI products of friends, MPP, P4 as well as my acro quads and I’m loving this thing! MavMount v3 is legit as well
Oh man.. Is that the Otterbox mavmount ? I'm really eyeballing that mount. The cheaper one I got is giving me confidence issues

Reactions: Former Member

I might have to get one of those mounts I hate taking my phone out of its case every time I wanna fly. But even fpv I still need to take it out

Reactions: DesJardins
I might have to get one of those mounts I hate taking my phone out of its case every time I wanna fly. But even fpv I still need to take it out

MavMount v3 with the standard phone mount and one larger mount for the iPad mini.

It has plenty of room for cased phones and all, Pics of my wife’s larger iPhone 7plus with the case on

Attachments

• 37B15CD7-830D-4FDE-AFD6-339B6CBC2FC6.jpeg
    37B15CD7-830D-4FDE-AFD6-339B6CBC2FC6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
  • D1A11725-E73F-4C74-86A6-10FEFD89AD4F.jpeg
    D1A11725-E73F-4C74-86A6-10FEFD89AD4F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
  • D529375B-E8DF-499D-993E-0A678195F2B7.jpeg
    D529375B-E8DF-499D-993E-0A678195F2B7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I don't have an MPP so can't compare, but I love mines. It is unbelievably convenient for travel and I don't feel that I draw too much attention to myself setting it up and flying it. I flew it on holiday in Spain without issue; just took myself over to a rock away from the crowds, took off and kept it well away from everyone. The video quality is excellent for what I need, flight time find and range is better than my Spark. I'm going to do the FCC hack to try and improve the quality rather than out right range.
What is the FCC hack?

I was thinking conditions like light rain or in high crash risk areas. Just trying to find a cheaper high end drone that I wouldn't cry about if it sunk to the bottom of a lake or what not

Where are you located? The Mavic can deal with moisture such as condensation, but light rain is not recommended for any drone other than waterproof drones. A waterproof drone will cost you $1000+.

Swellpro SplashDrone 3 Fishing+ Edition Waterproof CCP01 0003

I saw on Phantompilots, one vendor was selling an aftermarket waterproof product, but the Phantom is not very portable. Im not sure if they sell a product for the Mavic or Spark. The raincoat is around $100.

Home

If you are already anticipating a crash, better get some Refresh or State Farm with your drone. Refresh wont help you if your drone ends up in the lake bottom. You need a drone to return to them.

Im starting to think that the Tello would be a candidate. Small size, batteries are cheap, great camera, no insurance need since it's so cheap to begin with. Can get it with a controller, but you can fly it with your phone. It's a really fun drone. Check out a member video shot with a Tello:

Here's where you can buy one:

https://store.dji.com/product/tello...v3YWmlJGDQ7RnUkTlcJf7jhrRw4z69HRoCo8QQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
I fly with a galaxy tab 3 8.0.
Got it in a hard Otterbox type case from Amazon .Adds some. Bulk. The mavmount Otterbox says will fit no problem. Just gotta justify the extra cash on it.. $70usd isn't cheap.... And I wish it would fold up smaller... Case space is a premium

Reactions: Former Member
I fly with a galaxy tab 3 8.0.
Got it in a hard Otterbox type case from Amazon .Adds some. Bulk. The mavmount Otterbox says will fit no problem. Just gotta justify the extra cash on it.. $70usd isn't cheap.... And I wish it would fold up smaller... Case space is a premium

I can say I’m 100% glad I bought it because the quality is just amazing over the plastic mounts I looked at.

Where are you located? The Mavic can deal with moisture such as condensation, but light rain is not recommended for any drone other than waterproof drones. A waterproof drone will cost you $1000+.

Swellpro SplashDrone 3 Fishing+ Edition Waterproof CCP01 0003

I saw on Phantompilots, one vendor was selling an aftermarket waterproof product, but the Phantom is not very portable. Im not sure if they sell a product for the Mavic or Spark. The raincoat is around $100.

Home

If you are already anticipating a crash, better get some Refresh or State Farm with your drone. Refresh wont help you if your drone ends up in the lake bottom. You need a drone to return to them.

Im starting to think that the Tello would be a candidate. Small size, batteries are cheap, great camera, no insurance need since it's so cheap to begin with. Can get it with a controller, but you can fly it with your phone. It's a really fun drone. Check out a member video shot with a Tello:

Here's where you can buy one:

https://store.dji.com/product/tello...v3YWmlJGDQ7RnUkTlcJf7jhrRw4z69HRoCo8QQAvD_BwE
I know the drones aren't ment for light rain. And I have state farm for my drones.i was wanting a drone with distance capability and 4k or close too it for when I send clips to the news station for use. I've got my 107 and my exemptions I need to fly at night over stadiums and over crowds of people, but I don't do it professionally. I don't get paid for my clips to the news unless they specifically ask me to go out and do something. To me drones are more of a hobby. I enjoy my job aside from drones. I was thinking about the spark also but I don't know if that would have the range I'm wanting. I've looked at tello but it's just not enough of a drone.

There are dozens of first impressions and review threads on the Air if you do a simple search. Way more information collectively than you will get here with such an open ended question.

Reactions: mad monkey
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS