DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air DNG photo is different from the JPG version

daffdaff

Reactions
Hi,

I own a DJI Mavic Air and I have taken some photos with the JPG+RAW setting so that it saves both file formats.

However when I look at the two files from the same shot I can see that they are different. It seems like one of them are stretched out compared to the other one.

I have uploaded the two versions of the same shot (I had to convert the DNG to a jpg to be able to upload). But look at the top left corner at the stone. Compare both photos and you'll see that the images are different.

Have anyone else seen this?

DNG-version (re-saved in JPG format)
DNG_version.jpg

JPG-version
JPG_version.JPG

What you actually see in the .DNG version is a preview image.
You have to open the raw image in Lightroom, Photoshop or similar to view at the actual photo.

It's the inbuilt lens correcting profile. DNGs have it but jpg don't.

What you actually see in the .DNG version is a preview image.
You have to open the raw image in Lightroom, Photoshop or similar to view at the actual photo.

Thank you. That might explain it. I haven’t opened the DNG in any RAW editor yet.

DNG is also called as a Raw format. Raw is a format without any modifications (post processing). Generally, JPEG has a lot of post processing and corrections, but also a loss of detail and dynamic range.

Some post processing made on JPEG are noise reduction, color and lens distortion corrections and so son.

Raw is a kind of a dump of the image sensor without any post processing, that's why DNG and JPEG is slightly different.

Raw formats can be edited on specific Raw editing software like Photoshop camera Raw.

The size of raw images are larger also, because it do not apply any compression, like JPEG has. That's why raw is called a lossless image format, and the others that apply compression are called lossy

Last edited:
Reactions: MrRobville
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada