DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Failsafe RTH

brandas

Reactions
Hi all. I was wondering if it is possible to set the drone to return to the controller position in case it loses connection instead of returning to where it took off from?
Many thanks!

Yes there is. Choose the setting icon based on where you want to set the RTH location
Mavic-Main-Controller-Settings.jpg

If the drone has lost connection with the controller, how can it know where the controller is? Would it return to the last known location of the controller?

Larry

If the drone has lost connection with the controller, how can it know where the controller is? Would it return to the last known location of the controller?
When you reset the home point to the controller's current location, that location is stored in the drone the same way it stores the launch point normally at the start of a flight.
It doesn't keep updating the new home point, it's just stores that location at the time you reset.

@brandas, you'll only be able to set the home point to your current location if using a mobile device that contains a GPS receiver. Some people have trouble using this feature even when using such a mobile device, so you should test your mobile device of choice out to ensure this feature can be used.

Hi all. I was wondering if it is possible to set the drone to return to the controller position in case it loses connection instead of returning to where it took off from?
Unless you are moving a significant distance while flying, such as on a moving boat or car, you probably won't need this feature.

Also, IF for some reason the drone and controller do not reconnect before it returns to the last Controller location and say your in a moving boat, the drone is going to land in the last recorded location, the water (Bumbles can't swim and Drones can't float).

Most likely the drone and controller would reconnect but is it worth the risk of losing your drone if they don't? Something to consider and weigh against the risk.

Hi all. Thanks for your responses. What o meant was an option for the drone to continuously and automatically record the RC position and in the event of lost connection or low battery return to the RC or its last recorded position) instead of the original take off location. I think should be useful if you're using the drone to follow your car, boat, bycicle, etc. In none of these activities I would want to have to chase the drone back to the take off location in case the RTH process is initiated.
Many thanks.

I think should be useful if you're using the drone to follow your car, boat, bycicle, etc. In none of these activities I would want to have to chase the drone back to the take off location in case the RTH process is initiated.
While this is not a feature of the Mavic Air, some DJI drones have a Dynamic Home Point feature that automatically updates the home point to the mobile device's location when flying in ActiveTrack mode.

I think should be useful if you're using the drone to follow your car, boat, bycicle, etc. In none of these activities I would want to have to chase the drone back to the take off location in case the RTH process is initiated.
The biggest worry if you are moving is that you don't want your drone zipping away to towards the launch point when it calculates it only has enough battery to return that far.
Since you don't want the drone to actually land on your boat or car, simply resetting home to the current location of the drone every five minutes or so should be all you need.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet