DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Foldable Props

dougiefresh27

Reactions
Has anyone heard of Foldable props for the mavic air? I know you can use spark props but I want full size ones. I purchased some on Amazon that were advertised as Foldable but are clearly cheap one piece. They are going back.
I realize that it wont make it any more compact but I'm always looking for options

Attachments

• 20191031_074402.jpg
    20191031_074402.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
Reactions: 325xia
Hmm, my BIL has the Air and like your photo, the way it's designed and folds it is pretty compact with the normal props.
I'm curious as to what advantages having folding props could give.
If anything, wouldn't it possibly be a long term extra thing that could go wrong ?

Reactions: dougiefresh27
Hmm, my BIL has the Air and like your photo, the way it's designed and folds it is pretty compact with the normal props.
I'm curious as to what advantages having folding props could give.
If anything, wouldn't it possibly be a long term extra thing that could go wrong ?
There would be no advantage at all. I just like options

Sorry, can't help with the props but also can't help but wonder why? Not that it matters. Because I want to Is a valid reason. :)

If you like prop options I presume you already have the MAS ones?

Last edited:
There would be no advantage at all. I just like options

Ok, was thinking you might be having trouble fitting into a bag without them turning a bit awkwardly or something.
I'd say due to the design of Air, and how well the props hug the folded aircraft, there'd be almost nil reason for aftermarket manufacturers to make foldable props for it.
Be interesting to see if there does turn out to be one somewhere.

It might be possible to design and 3D print them, but they probably wouldn't be a resilient as cast ones.

Yeah, given the design of the MA and how its arms fold and the props wrap around its body nicely, foldable props make little sense. They won't make it any more compact than it already is.

In fact having them foldable might even make it less compact.... blades sticking on top of one another.

I too would like foldable props. My Mavic Pro2 has them, obviously. If the foldable hit something, they fold. Less stress on the motors and damage. They basically collapse. Also, I believe thats what makes them quieter.

So, that’s two reasons.

Reactions: hiflyer201
I too would like foldable props. My Mavic Pro2 has them, obviously. If the foldable hit something, they fold. Less stress on the motors and damage. They basically collapse. Also, I believe thats what makes them quieter.

So, that’s two reasons.
I cannot imagine anything gracefully "folding" at 5000+ rpm.

So, that’s two reasons.
that's two good reasons, the same I was thinking of, totally agree and hope somebody knows if they exist.

I cannot imagine anything gracefully "folding" at 5000+ rpm.
maybe not so "gracefully", but it happens to me once with my Spark and nothing bad happens to the props (because they fold instead of break), thanks to my fast reaction backwards it wasn't a hard hit but if that same event happens with my Mavic maybe props will not survive and for sure more stress on the motors will happen, I must say the hit was because an unexpected wind blown moves the Spark against an excavator.

Reactions: hiflyer201
I agree with Franco...the folding props on the Spark are surprisingly durable...just like the Spark itself.

Has anyone heard of Foldable props for the mavic air? I know you can use spark props but I want full size ones. I purchased some on Amazon that were advertised as Foldable but are clearly cheap one piece. They are going back.
I realize that it wont make it any more compact but I'm always looking for options
I like the way you have your I.D done. Simply and to the point. Looks very professional.

maybe not so "gracefully", but it happens to me once with my Spark and nothing bad happens to the props (because they fold instead of break), thanks to my fast reaction backwards it wasn't a hard hit but if that same event happens with my Mavic maybe props will not survive and for sure more stress on the motors will happen, I must say the hit was because an unexpected wind blown moves the Spark against an excavator.
Ok, I am not an engineer. But* you are assuming the motors would stop upon the props contacting an external body which I don't think they do. Even if the props fold and some how avoid shattering upon first contact, they would unfold again as the motors continue to spin.

*When some starts with "I am not X, but ..." everything after the "but" can be disregarded completely.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erpator