DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air (Gen 1) Crash

CanadianYoda

Reactions
Recently purchased a Mavic Air used, on my third flight I had a crash, a stupid one.
I went up and was sure that I was “definitely over the power line” and then proceeded to fly directly into the power line.
Drone flew down maybe 20 feet and motor started smoking, thought it was just the motor so bought a replacement and upon opening the drone I found that the logic board and power circuit board were partially melted…
Is it worth repairing?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 31
  • Wow
Reactions: 4006448
What is the price of a replacement board or boards vs the price of another second hand drone?

Reactions: RodPad
What is the price of a replacement board or boards vs the price of another second hand drone?
I’ve only been able to find replacements on ebay, the two boards together would be around 230 plus the motor and arm which was around 60.
I could send it to a repair shop for a diagnostic…not sure.

I’ve seen similar listings for drones for around 500+

@CanadianYoda,first of all welcome to the forum
without appearing to be rude ,in answer to your question (is it worth repairing ) can i be brutally honest and say not really ,mainly due to its age ,and also, because apart from the obvious damage you have mentioned,there could be ongoing issues as time goes by
of course, if you really have the knowledge to repair it, and want to go ahead ,then that is your choice to make ,i would put the incident down to an unfortunate accident and move on

Last edited:
@CanadianYoda,first of all welcome to the forum
without appearing to be rude ,in answer to your question (is it worth repairing ) can i be brutally honest and say not really ,mainly due to its age ,and also, because apart from the obvious damage you have mentioned,ther could be ongoing issues as time goes by
of course, if you really have the knowledge to repair it, and want to go ahead ,then that is your choice to make ,i would put the incident down to an unfortunate accident and move on
Absolutely and thank you,
I think deep down I knew this but had to be told it to accept it lol.

I suppose I’ll be saving up for a new drone (maybe one with warranty 🤣)

Absolutely and thank you,
I think deep down I knew this but had to be told it to accept it lol.

I suppose I’ll be saving up for a new drone (maybe one with warranty 🤣)
I’ve only been able to find replacements on ebay, the two boards together would be around 230 plus the motor and arm which was around 60.
I could send it to a repair shop for a diagnostic…not sure.

I’ve seen similar listings for drones for around 500+
Alternatively, and a bit of a gamble, look at the ebay prices of a wrecked Mavic Air with broken plastics i.e. broken arms and shell etc., but working everything else, then transfer the innards and gimbal assembly of that drone to the shell of yours.
I got a mini 2 cheap this way, its shell was wrecked and I had an empty shell knocking about.

With regards to warranty, for an incident such as the one you describe I would think it is unlikely that DJI would consider the damage a warranty issue, they will ask for relevant flight logs and those would likely show the crash.
That said, if the firmware was meant to shut the ESCs down in the event of a motor stall or current overload then cooked ESC's might be a warranty matter. However you might have care refresh on a drone that was under warranty and care refresh is a good coverall.
Due to getting a 'hot ESC' warning with a P3 that had had a minor crash my first reaction on a 'hits the floor' crash is to hold the throttle closed for several seconds until I am sure the motors are stopped, I think that is a good thing to do. A stalled or jammed motor is, if powered, a short circuit.

Reactions: RodPad and 4006448
Alternatively, and a bit of a gamble, look at the ebay prices of a wrecked Mavic Air with broken plastics i.e. broken arms and shell etc., but working everything else, then transfer the innards and gimbal assembly of that drone to the shell of yours.
I got a mini 2 cheap this way, its shell was wrecked and I had an empty shell knocking about.

With regards to warranty, for an incident such as the one you describe I would think it is unlikely that DJI would consider the damage a warranty issue, they will ask for relevant flight logs and those would likely show the crash.
That said, if the firmware was meant to shut the ESCs down in the event of a motor stall or current overload then cooked ESC's might be a warranty matter. However you might have care refresh on a drone that was under warranty and care refresh is a good coverall.
Due to getting a 'hot ESC' warning with a P3 that had had a minor crash my first reaction on a 'hits the floor' crash is to hold the throttle closed for several seconds until I am sure the motors are stopped, I think that is a good thing to do. A stalled or jammed motor is, if powered, a short circuit.
That just might work, I’m looking at a broken drone on ebay, the left front arm was snapped (same one that is broken on mine) and the seller says it’s never been opened.

That just might work, I’m looking at a broken drone on ebay, the left front arm was snapped (same one that is broken on mine) and the seller says it’s never been opened.
Ask them if everything works, i.e. the motors twitch and the gimbal dances at boot and the drone actually completely boots.
If it's an auction don't bid until the last few seconds, for me in the UK it is, from memory, a two step process, I 'place' the bid at about t - 25 sec and confirm it at t - 3 sec.
Doing that stops you getting sucked into a bidding war and prevents anyone, bar other 'snipers', adding a new bid.

Last edited:
Reactions: RodPad and Cafguy
if you have a dead Air 1 and your batteries are good, you may be able to recover a good part of your initial investment... and start over. Sorry about the crash.

J'ai récemment acheté un Mavic Air d'occasion, lors de mon troisième vol, j'ai eu un crash, un stupide.
Je suis monté et j'étais sûr d'être « définitivement au-dessus de la ligne électrique », puis j'ai volé directement dans la ligne électrique.
Le drone a volé jusqu'à environ 20 pieds et le moteur a commencé à fumer, j'ai pensé que c'était juste le moteur, alors j'en ai acheté un de remplacement et en ouvrant le drone, j'ai découvert que la carte mère et le circuit imprimé d'alimentation étaient partiellement fondus…
Est-il convenable de le réparer?
non je pense trop dispendieux

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas