Mavic Air & Guy Wires or Guy Ropes

MacUser

Reactions
Greetings,

How well, or poorly will the Mavic Air's
collision avoidance work when flying near
telephone pole guy wires?
Radio tower guy wires?
Guy ropes for lightweight antenna masts?
Any other guy ropes or wires?

Thanks much !!!

You could do some experimenting.
Not sure it’s worth the risk and I think the different background in the area you fly around that may have some wires in the mix will be some of what determines how the ac will react.

Reactions: MacUser
Hi Starz,
Yes, that's probably what I'll end up doing,
with a competent spotter. Eventually, I'll
bring the results back here to this website
Thanks much

Greetings,

How well, or poorly will the Mavic Air's
collision avoidance work when flying near
telephone pole guy wires?
Radio tower guy wires?
Guy ropes for lightweight antenna masts?
Any other guy ropes or wires?

Thanks much !!!

If you are going to do that, at least use your prop guards. Guy wires, ropes, any other wires are a challenge for the obstacle avoidance to pick up. Also, make sure you have Refresh or State Farm.

Are we allowed to link youtube videos to
this website? I recorded a tower repair
staying well clear of the guy wires.
Thanks.

Reactions: Former Member
I was amazed when I saw the video.
It clearly stopped at the fence. And it was just a four strand wire fence.

My MPP has never given me an obstacle warning for telephone or electric distribution wires. I have tested by cautious approach to same at my house. I don’t know what the limits of it’s sensor resolution are, but I avoid them and made sure RTH would clear them.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Are we allowed to link youtube videos to
this website? I recorded a tower repair
staying well clear of the guy wires.
Thanks.
Upload to YouTube and then put the share link in a post. A preview will appear in your post and the video will play there too.

I would be very cautious, I flew close to a tree without leaves and my M2P did not sense the smaller branches. I did a quick experiment and determined that it would not detect one branch but would detect multiple branches together. It also detected a wire mesh fence with approx 2 in openings. My conclusion was that detection is a function of the total amount of obstruction, not necessarily the size, within the sensor’s vision.

I would be very cautious, I flew close to a tree without leaves and my M2P did not sense the smaller branches. I did a quick experiment and determined that it would not detect one branch but would detect multiple branches together. It also detected a wire mesh fence with approx 2 in openings. My conclusion was that detection is a function of the total amount of obstruction, not necessarily the size, within the sensor’s vision.
I have noted these things also. In fact, it’s how I had my only crash when it hung on the branch and she fell about 50’.

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
It will not avoid telephone or power lines. Guy wires either. I have first hand experience. My M2Z met an untimely demise thanks to some power lines. The large kind too, not the small residential stuff. It might be a hit or miss thing too. But in my case, it was a hit. I have video to prove it lol. :oops: Thank you DJI Care Refresh!

Reactions: dawgpilot
When I first got my MA, I was flying at a local park and being a complete newbe, paid no attention to the power lines overhead. Well out of blind dumb luck, my little buddie flew between the wires. Afterwards upon reviewing the videos, I could see what happened. Figuring you don't get a blind luck pass more than once and make sure I know where all the wires are before even powering up.

When I first got my MA, I was flying at a local park and being a complete newbe, paid no attention to the power lines overhead. Well out of blind dumb luck, my little buddie flew between the wires. Afterwards upon reviewing the videos, I could see what happened. Figuring you don't get a blind luck pass more than once and make sure I know where all the wires are before even powering up.

Same exact thing happened for me. I literally shot the gap between two wires that had maybe a foot and a half between them. Guess I'd rather be lucky than good.

My MA picked up thin leafless branches, power lines, and guy wires. I would never, ever trust it implicitly (nobody should) but I am glad to have it on the off chance that I make a mistake. If you're flying in VLOS you don't have to really worry about these types of things anyway. Never assume obstacle avoidance will pick up anything - it's there more as a possible fail safe.

Reactions: MavicFlyer
Never assume obstacle avoidance will pick up anything - it's there more as a possible fail safe.

Lot of good posts here, but this one really sums it all up.
Best advice about wires of any kind is be aware of your environment, and stay clear.
If you have to fly in that area, prop guards (or even prop cages) are a good idea, but keep in mind that electromagnetic fields around wires carrying a current can affect the sensors on your drone.

Reactions: tleonhar
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman