DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Interference Issues Question?

Rodz72SS

Reactions
Hey guys so I am a brand new drone flyer just got this Mavic Air for Christmas I flew it yesterday around the house and no issues. Today I flew it at around 250 feet in the air and about 750 feet away when I got a interference notification on my screen. The Drone would not react to the commands on the remote and at one point I lost my camera view. after panicking for a second or two the signal on the remote came back and my camera view was there as well. A few seconds later I saw a passenger plane flying by and as soon as it had passed the drone began acting normal again. I was able to fly it back home and it landed. Thought I had just lost my new toy..

Question was the interference caused by this plane or was it my error in doing something?

Thanks In Advance Steven from NJ

Hey guys so I am a brand new drone flyer just got this Mavic Air for Christmas I flew it yesterday around the house and no issues. Today I flew it at around 250 feet in the air and about 750 feet away when I got a interference notification on my screen. The Drone would not react to the commands on the remote and at one point I lost my camera view. after panicking for a second or two the signal on the remote came back and my camera view was there as well. A few seconds later I saw a passenger plane flying by and as soon as it had passed the drone began acting normal again. I was able to fly it back home and it landed. Thought I had just lost my new toy..

Question was the interference caused by this plane or was it my error in doing something?

Thanks In Advance Steven from NJ

Likely just a coincidence. Planes aren't typically using the same 2.4ghz frequencies that your drone uses to maintain it's link.

I have had similar issues with my drone. Not due to planes. MA WIFI signals are not strong as the Mavic Pro etc. This is due to different forms of comms ie WIFI vs OcuSync 2.0.
If you fly near power lines etc or near another drone flyers, I found MA to have issues... it could also have interference when you fly in populated areas where WIFI signals are high..

Reactions: Rodz72SS
I have had similar issues with my drone. Not due to planes. MA WIFI signals are not strong as the Mavic Pro etc. This is due to different forms of comms ie WIFI vs OcuSync 2.0.
If you fly near power lines etc or near another drone flyers, I found MA to have issues... it could also have interference when you fly in populated areas where WIFI signals are high..
Thank yOu for the reply

I recently went up a power line road to get some pics. I sent the MA straight up between very wide gaps in these very large power lines and spent a bunch of time getting pics and flying around and never had an issue. I know the problem is true and I expected trouble but it is weird that it can be so sporadic.

Last edited:
I recently went up a power line road to get some pics. I sent the MA straight between very wide gaps in these very large power lines and spent a bunch of time getting pics and flying around and never had an issue. I know the problem is true and I expected trouble but it is weird that it can be so sporadic.
It was weird I panicked thought I was going to lose the drone, Glad all turned out OK

Reactions: vulcZ
Get e remote mod that boosts your signal. I did and a fly further and zero interference.

The Drone would not react to the commands on the remote and at one point I lost my camera view. after panicking for a second or two the signal on the remote came back and my camera view was there as well. A few seconds later I saw a passenger plane flying by and as soon as it had passed the drone began acting normal again.

On 5.8ghz wifi, All radios must legally implement DFS /TPC on most of the channels. When the wifi detects the Doppler radar of a plane it will trigger the drone to immediately change channels, but this is not a seemless act (such as frequency hopper radios) , the receiver & drone must then find each other again & reconnect. The other problem is TPC which is caused by other users on your channel. it will trigger the radio to automatically reduce power

I see people recommending the 'FCC mode' for better radio communications. I"m not certain but it's possible TPC is not required in the USA as wikipedia does not list TPC.

Last edited:
It was weird I panicked thought I was going to lose the drone, Glad all turned out OK
It's a crappy feeling, but the good news is that the Mavic Air has some pretty sophisticated position systems that will help you find it even if you do lose it. Lots of success stories in these forums, myself included.

As to your original question, I too have found myself experiencing connectivity issues between my Mavic Air and remote at around 1000 feet, but that's of course in and around my neighborhood. Due to that, I've decided to stick to mostly flying in more rural areas where it's a lot less prone to connectivity issues. It also kind of makes me want to return my Air and maybe go for a Pro, because that one uses OcuSync which is supposed to be a whole lot better than the "enhanced Wi-Fi" the Air uses.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh